Notices

Day 3 suggestions

Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3 suggestions

Hi everybody, it's 530 in the morning on Day 3, haven't slept a wink. I know the next 24-48 hours are going to be pretty bad, and I've had my miserable moments so far, but I'm trying to be proactive on this thing. Attempting to write some work emails but my cognitive capacity is very compromised at the moment. Tried watching funny videos but couldn't keep focused on them and I feel like listening to music could probably make me go insane. Strange thing is I haven't felt an urge in like 30 hours. I can't fathom how my brain in this state would work if given booze. In a happy bit of circumstance, I am able to work from home today and tomorrow, I am going to try to get some stuff done but who knows. Any advice/suggestions for things to do/for a guy in this situation with a day home alone would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Id try to focus on some hobbies that you have. Ive gotten back to a bunch since ive dried out. Just make sure you dont get bored. That was my achilles heel. It would lead to major binge drinking. Stay focused, stay positive. You can do it.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sleep will come again. As for when, it depends person to person (about 7-8 days before my sleep became normal-ish for me) but that is something almost all of us had to tough out in early sobriety. Just know that returning to the bottle will make everything worse and not give you the sleep your body truly needs anyway. Stay strong and keep busy. I'm not one to suggest taking something, but melatonin is a natural sleep aid available at any pharmacy that has helped me before (if you get real desperate). Better to try that than drink.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Best thing is to be patient with yourself and your body. Let it heal at it's own paste and try not to overthink things.

As for working from home, if you get breaks and feel tired, take cat nap. Half an hour can do wonders sometimes.

Congrats on your 3 days!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

During my last detox, I binge-watched TV shows on DVD sets to distract my thoughts and wait out the process. By the evening of day 4, I finally fell asleep and didn't wake up for about 16 hours. It was such a miserable experience, but it knocked some sense into me and I have been sober since.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I could not sleep well , watch movies or listen to music. Could not stand bright lights or noises !! It gets better....I also work from home thank goodness!!!

Stay busy , whatever makes you feel comfortable. Your body is healing so take it easy
Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went through terrible withdrawals when I was 22.

I remember taking lots of showers/baths and taking lots of walks.

Melatonin is great too. It always puts me right to sleep.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

And I didn't have SR back then. If I had of had this website while I was going through that it would have made a world of difference.

We are all here for you
Old 08-05-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Most important day 3 suggestion... Don't drink
Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Get some candy or ice cream and take a walk both of those will boost your natural dopamine.