Notices

starting back at the gym this afternoon

Old 08-05-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

starting back at the gym this afternoon

I'm not new to working out, but I haven't been in months. Also, when I did go, I would usually drink 1-2 24oz beers before hitting the gym.
Kinda counterproductive, but what can I say. It's planet fitness, they give out free pizza, so I was easily able to use that as a way to justify a few beers!

Hopefully this helps me feel better and gets rid of the anxiety.
Maybe I'll get some real results since I'm not drinking every night, storing excess calories...

Did anyone else used to drink before working out? If so, did it make a big difference when you got sober and continued working out? I'm anxious to see how this goes
Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I kinda feel that all my good work by exercising was offset by my binge drinking, and then when I quit alcohol, my fitness improved!!

When I sat back and thought about it, I guess it makes sense!!
Old 08-05-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've read somewhere that alcohol breaks down hgh hormone and testosterone. I would check that out. This year I have slowed down greatly on drinking from previous years and began working out more and have noticed a bigger improvement but finally had enough last week. Day 5 now and looking forward to a healthier mind first, free from the prison of booze and thirdly good shape. Best of luck to you but I would most definetly avoid working out while drinking. It seems like it would cause much more damage. Im no doc though but it makes sense to me. Best of luck to you nightmaresonwax
Old 08-05-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like Purpleknight, any binge drinking I did probably overshadowed my workout efforts. I actually remember drinking a few times before a workout, yes! Kind of crazy, huh? It wasn't often that happened, but I know I have done it before.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank before AND after going to the gym. Yes, you should see weight loss! Also, alcohol impairs the fat burning function of the liver.

I am on Day 25 and haven't been to the gym yet. At first it was just hard getting through the day and going to bed with no alcohol. Not drinking every time I felt I deserved it. I had a lot of gaps in the day, my old drinking times.

I am going on holiday this Sunday and plan on working out - a lot - as the booze is free and I need a good distraction. They have a gym, they offer fitness classes and tennis (and childcare) so I have no excuse.

Good luck!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My fitness, quality of my workouts, and physical appearance have all improved TENFOLD by quitting drinking. I used to drag myself to the gym once or twice a week in between binges, but I always felt awful during the workout and it was torture to get through. I could barely even do a mile on the treadmill and felt like hell afterwards. I even developed a gut and lovehandles when I had always been skinny. Two months sober, eating healthy, and a solid workout routine, I am in the best shape of my life cardio-wise, I have burned nearly all the fat around my midsection (flat stomach again), and I love being at the gym. I've even made a couple friends there who are into fitness (and not drinking/partying). Plus, when I walk out of that place, when I sit in the sauna after a workout, when I finish a good set, I feel terrific, a natural high. Working out releases serotonin, which makes us feel good. Anyway, I'm rambling, go in sobriety, you'll get a lot more out of it than you ever did.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I used to be a competitive weightlifter during college. Fast forward 20 years later a liter of vodka a day alcoholic. Once in awhile when i wasnt vomiting in the morning i would get to the gym before work. Sometimes i would have shot bottles of vodka in my sweat pants. OMG, i would go into the lockerroom and do a shot in between exercises.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All I did when I was drinking was a whole lot of nothing, so I can't really speak to drinking and working out. What I can say is that working out now that I'm sober leaves me with feelings (physical and emotional) that alcohol cannot compare to. Good luck! It might be tough at first but I think you'll have a great time, especially the further you go!
Old 08-06-2014, 01:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been going to the gym pretty regularly for the last 4 years. At first I saw major improvements, I lost 25 kilos, went from not being able to do a squat without any weight to squatting with some pretty major weights, deadlifting even more, super fitness stuff guided by an awesome personal trainer who works with athletes. But as my drinking increased the results stopped. I went to the gym almost every day, no matter how n=hungover I was, but I only gained weight, I couldn't get past certain weight marks. (I was bound and determined to deadlift 100 kilos but was stuck for MONTHS at 97.5, couldn't do it!) In just 8 days of quitting I have already noticed weight loss and a huge increase in energy and ability in the gym. There is a fitness section here on the forum too, you might want to check it out. I haven't visited much as I've been hanging around here and feel safe and comfy here But I hope to become involved there too, I love working out, have since I finally found a great trainer who showed me the proper way to do things.
I found this article in the fitness section on the forum, I think it would be of interest to you: Uncensored Bodybuilding And Fitness Information: The REAL Effects of Alcohol on Your Body
Old 08-06-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Yay! The gym will feel so much better sober!

I never drank before a work out.... But long, long ago, before I lost my ambition for the gym, I used to drag my hungover butt to the gym a few times a week and it was awful. I dreaded it! Then I just stopped.

Now I'm going to the gym every day and it gives me so much confidence and energy. The booze just gets in the way.

I'm on day 12 of sobriety and day 6 of working out/eating healthy. I've already lost 3.5 lb since my healthy eating/exercise start! August 1st! I have plenty to lose so I'm not worried, probably just some bloat and what not.

Okay I'm rambling! Lol!

Anyways, it's a great feeling! :-)
Old 08-06-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi nightmare

No i never drank before exercise perhaps after playing a rugby match or finishing a gruelling fell run i would have a few lagers.....

Working out will help increase your serotonin levels in your brain and without alcohol present to wreak havoc amongst the receptors in the brain you should feel alot better

Not drinking should also help with weight loss im no longer smoking or drinking and fell running, kettlebells etc but my weight is steady , I've noticed an improvement in muscle tone and fitness though

Keep up.the good work ? Are you in America as im uk and none of our fitness centres give out free pizza lol

Charlotte x
Old 08-06-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by countrysidegirl View Post
Hi nightmare No i never drank before exercise perhaps after playing a rugby match or finishing a gruelling fell run i would have a few lagers..... Working out will help increase your serotonin levels in your brain and without alcohol present to wreak havoc amongst the receptors in the brain you should feel alot better Not drinking should also help with weight loss im no longer smoking or drinking and fell running, kettlebells etc but my weight is steady , I've noticed an improvement in muscle tone and fitness though Keep up.the good work ? Are you in America as im uk and none of our fitness centres give out free pizza lol Charlotte x
What?! Your fitness center gives out free pizza?

That's so strange! Haha well... I guess they are testing the dedication of their patrons! Lol

[edit] I need to read more thoroughly. Haha you're saying in America! Now that I think of it... I believe planet fitness does that here.

Definitely not my gym! Haha I go to a local Chicago gym.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm in the united kingdom

I was saying that no fitness centres sell pizza in the uk
Old 08-06-2014, 06:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had a pretty good workout last night in spite of the fact that I quit working out in favor of drinking months ago.

I Must say that I made a noticeable difference in reducing my anxiety and it DEFINITELY helped me get to sleep easier. It even helped with my nightly binge eating lol. It's the first time I can remember sitting on the couch yawning and actually feeling like I was going to pass out just sitting there since I quit.
I would highly recommend hitting the gym now even if you just started your sobriety. It seems like it would make since a lot easier, regardless of how long you have been sober. Don't be afraid to get to the gym! 90 percent of it is just getting off your butt and making it there. Once you're there, you feel better.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rosie88 View Post
What?! Your fitness center gives out free pizza?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/thing...tness?s=mobile

I go there because it's 11 dollars a month and they have the same equipment I was using at my old gym that was 33 a month, plus it's less crowded lol...but the list is all true, I just ignore all that.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
My fitness, quality of my workouts, and physical appearance have all improved TENFOLD by quitting drinking. I used to drag myself to the gym once or twice a week in between binges, but I always felt awful during the workout and it was torture to get through. I could barely even do a mile on the treadmill and felt like hell afterwards. I even developed a gut and lovehandles when I had always been skinny. Two months sober, eating healthy, and a solid workout routine, I am in the best shape of my life cardio-wise, I have burned nearly all the fat around my midsection (flat stomach again), and I love being at the gym. I've even made a couple friends there who are into fitness (and not drinking/partying). Plus, when I walk out of that place, when I sit in the sauna after a workout, when I finish a good set, I feel terrific, a natural high. Working out releases serotonin, which makes us feel good. Anyway, I'm rambling, go in sobriety, you'll get a lot more out of it than you ever did.
^^ This

>> I have actually taken fitness and fat loss as my main goal recently, and this has, by default, eradicated the alcohol from my diet. It just doesn't fit! And I'm just not interested. When I was focusing on giving up alcohol it was so hard, but now I am focusing on my general health and wellbeing, inside and out, I feel amazing. I have barely been on this Forum for a few weeks as it just hasn't crossed my mind!

Yes I have exercised drunk in the past (and believed myself amazingly flexible and sexy HA!) but as the others have said, any exercise I did was completely undone by then copious amounts of liquid calories and hungover food choices I made. Such a weary struggle! I'm now exercising almost daily, and HARD, because I feel clear and clean. I actually have the energy to, as my diet is so much etter and not riddled with toxins and cr*p. Good luck keeping it up -I hope you reap the rewards soon! And yeah I find the pizza/beer/gym combo strange lol

xx
Old 08-06-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm already reaping awards

I'm back running amongst the mountains and hills of the beautiful lake district feeling at peace and whole

Fell running isn't about weight loss to me its about defeating my demons and finally getting myself back that alcohol tried to destroy

That to me means more than what i weigh

Xxxx eating better and having no nicotine and alcohol obviously has helped

Best of luck darling hope you keep it up

Charlotte xxxxx
Old 08-06-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

$11 a month, you can't beat that! Pizza or no pizza
Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I noticed that I can sustain activity longer now, I'm trim without much effort, I eat mostly paleo (around 80-90%), and I alternate between walking, running, exercise bike and weightlifting. I do all this from home and at the parks. It finally feels like I am "maintaining" my physique instead of struggling to keep things under control, if that makes sense. The liver has to always process alcohol first, before anything... so once it's removed your body just metabolizes more efficiently anyway.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

After I quit drinking, I focused much of my energy on working out and eating well. I lost over 100 lbs. over the course of a couple years and am now in the best shape of my life. Plus, working out is much more beneficial than drinking and having physique goals is also a helpful deterrent from drinking. Alcohol would only keep me further from my goals. One of the million reasons alcohol and I can't be friends any more.