Notices

My thousandth time quitting

Old 08-05-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My thousandth time quitting

Today marks day 6 for me with no alcohol. I'm a new member to this site although i have been lurking on here as a guest for quite sometime. I've been steadily drinking for the last 20+ years. I just turned 39 a few months ago and have been trying to quit for at least 2 years. The longest i've stopped for was 2 months. Usually don't experience any serious withdrawals other than irritabity and trouble sleeping. This time however i have been having a much harder time, numbness in the arms, dizziness, really high blood pressure, 155/110, anxiety attacks. Really scared me this time as it's probably a sign of how hooked i actually am. Today was the first day that i woke up and actually felt somewhat ok. I've been eating better, staying busy during my normal drinking times, spending more time with my family, taking my vitamins. I'm really hoping it sticks this time. Just wanted to say hello and thanks to all the folks on this site that share. It's been more than helpful to just read stories and realize that i'm not the only one dealing with this.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know there are a lot of us that have been through the very same thing as you described. I certainly have.

I always prided myself on having good blood pressure readings. The last few have been rather alarming however; yet another reason to not drink!!

Thanks for posting!
Old 08-05-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Numbness in the extremities is a symptom of a condition known as alcoholic neuropathy. I get that every time I stop drinking. See a doctor.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I drank for 26 years but had no substantial withdrawal symptoms until around 8 years. I didn't know what hit me. I thought it was the flu or something. My best advice is to stay sober. Each and every relapse/withdrawal will get more intense. (Google "kindling.") I had bp readings like yours, sometimes worse, and I'm already on bp meds as it is. My heart rate was going crazy, too.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I too have had numerous "start overs." For me the health thing plus the amount of money I've spent on booze is what I'm trying to remember when I get the urge to drink. It's not easy, that's for sure.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the quick replies. I too have always had very good BP readings until very recently. Really hoping to return them to normal someday as i know the alcohol is prime culprit. I definetely got the flu-like symptoms, day 3 i woke up with one of the worst hangovers that i can remember only i hadn't had a drop of alcohol, splitting headache, body aches, fever. I've actually had a couple decent days, day 5 yesterday was good, went out to dinner with my wife and ordered a coke instead of drinking my way through dinner. Today i feel even a little better than yesterday!!
Old 08-05-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, I think most of us tried to quit many many times before getting serious about it. Seems like posting here is you making a bigger commitment to sobriety this time.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I used to hate going to the doctors when I was ill and drinking.
I would avoid it at all costs.
Sometimes I would try cut down for about a week before I went if I knew I had no choice but to go.

I also obsessed about the pains in my side.
I constantly worried about my liver.

I think it is a special kind of torture we put ourselves through as drinkers.
We worry then soothe ourselves with more and more drink which is the whole reason for our worry in the first place.

I would offer the following advice

1. Go see the doctor. Be honest. They are there to help and won't or shouldn't be judgemental. Don't sit with symptoms that might be serious or life changing. No-one deserves that no matter how much they drink.

2. The peace you get when you stop drinking, in terms of health concerns and niggles, is priceless. Nothing compares. Now, if I am ill, I go straight to my GP and I am proud when he/she asks how much do you drink and I can say 'not had a drop for over 2 years'. You deserve to feel this way too.

Well done on doing 6 days without a drink. 1 more day and you have a whole week. Not everyone gets to say that, they have done 1 week with no drink.

I wish you the best xx
Old 08-05-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Chuckcheese. The withdrawals always get worse in time, a lot of us got by with "easy" withdrawals many times over only to be eventually hit with severe ones. It always catches up with you.

The good news is that this can be your last if you choose. Do you have any idea what you might do this time around as far as a sobriety plan? Any meetings or counseling perhaps?
Old 08-05-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sasha4, i am definetely going to be scheduling a doctor visit in the very near future. Unfortunately my primary care quit and i haven't picked out a new one. I will though. Scott i am interested in seeking some form of counseling. I would say my best motivator at sticking with this is my wife though. She has been quite ill over the last 4 or 5 years and i just recently realized that the serious increase in drinking coincided with this. I found myself blaming her illness on my need to drink, how messed up is that??? My decision to quit is backed by my promise to myself to be a better husband and friend to her, to be the man she thinks i am. I have a stronger conviction than i've ever felt to beat this. Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Chuck!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on five days! Keep it up.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chuckcheese View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I too have always had very good BP readings until very recently. Really hoping to return them to normal someday as i know the alcohol is prime culprit. I definetely got the flu-like symptoms, day 3 i woke up with one of the worst hangovers that i can remember only i hadn't had a drop of alcohol, splitting headache, body aches, fever. I've actually had a couple decent days, day 5 yesterday was good, went out to dinner with my wife and ordered a coke instead of drinking my way through dinner. Today i feel even a little better than yesterday!!

Thanks for sharing that. I woke up this morning feeling really sick.. basically everything you said except for the fever. Im on day 5 now and hoping its over by tomorrow. Had to stay home today but it feels good to know others have had this happen. Take care everyone!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, chuckcheese. Congrats on 6 days.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family. We are here to support you in your goal of living sober. I'm glad you joined us.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great job on six days and welcome
Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here chuckcheese - welcome to SR

sometimes it takes that 1001st time

D
Old 08-12-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well today marks day 13 and still going strong with my resolve to beat this. I have survived two weekends now and actually made it through a day of fishing Saturday and a BBQ on Sunday both of which are huge triggers for me. Haven't been feeling real good the last couple days though, really exhausted throughout the day. Seems like i go from having tons of energy to having a hard time keeping my eyes open. Sleeping really good at night but not feeling rested is pretty frustrating. Guess i'll keep at it, taking my vitamins and trying to eat right and hope things get better soon. Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 13 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!