Notices

Has anybody actually moved away to get sober?

Old 08-05-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

From the big book...

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums -- we could increase the list ad infinitum.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I completely agree that you are who you are no matter where you live in the world, but you can choose to live in better suited climates, near or far from family, and sometimes you need to be out of sight out of mind of all your old stomp
Old 08-05-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Stomping grounds. I was living in NYC for a year, and was miserable. It was super chaotic and stressful all the time, hated my high stress job, all my friends partied a lot, drinking everyday is normal, etc. I also had no family there, and felt like I wasn't really doing anything positive with my life. I was given the chance to move back in with my mother is Florida, where I have no drinking friends, my family, and a laid back atmosphere where it is sunny everyday. I feel amazing, and more positive than ever about the future. I don't pass a bar and have flashbacks of making a fool of myself there. There arnt any place that I tell myself, "well, can't go there anymore!" Because I was a drunk idiot there. In my case, it was the best choice I could have made. I still go to aa twice a week and church every Sunday, and haven't forgot I am an alcoholic. It is much easier for me here though. I think I would have died in NYC!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scram

I think there are many good reasons for moving but hoping that a move will cure your alcoholism isn't one of them.

Wherever you go, you'll have to buckle down and do the hard yards and deal with your addiction.

You'll have support here though

D
Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Lucie:
Glad you believe it helped you. I agree with you about New York City. Too hectic, too much emphasis on money, career, power, prestige. Its only advantage is the plurality of groups for alcoholics to join. Ironic that the only thing to be said for a town is that there are so many who are trying (and often failing) to sober up. I too would be dead long ago if I'd stayed there. But again, this does not mean that just because one moves he or she is going to get sober. The problems have to be faced and dealt with wherever one is.

W.