Notices

Day 2

Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hi everybody. Just woke up to my second day. First was very tough, and I know this one could be tougher. I have a plan for work today, and I have a meeting to make afterwards. With the grace of a higher power I know that I have it in me to make it through today. I just wanted to say hi to everyone and let you know that this site has been great for me so far only 17 hours since joining, and I know that it will be a great resource going forward.
A couple questions I have.
1. As a newcomer, I'm not completely sure in which forums to make posts, or who to reach out for, where I should be looking, etc. I could use a little bit of direction on getting the most out of this wonderful resource.
2. The past week has been very difficult and a cause and side effect has been that I am getting terrible sleep. I tried Ambien last night but I still could fall asleep and when I finally did, I had incredibly vivid dreams, one particularly disturbing. Any advice on finding a good night's rest ie pills, techniques, etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everything you've meant to me so far!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Matt,

My sleep is always pretty messed up during the beginnings of quitting drinking. It got better after a couple weeks of not drinking. The vivid dreams were also strong for a couple weeks too - and definitely when using trazadone for sleep. Ambien is kind of heavy and when I took it quite a few years ago, it left be very groggy the next day. Trazadone is in the antidepressant family and not considered to be addictive. Being sober for a good while always greatly improves my sleep.

No one can really tell you who to reach out to - you have to make your own choice based on what you see, hear, like and respect - online and in person. Stay committed to your sobriety and you will be drawn to those who are the right ones to help and guide you.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Matt - Just keep going. Be strong.

It's day 1 for me, so you're miles in front!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Matt and congratulations on day 1. You can do it. I have a hard time sleeping as well. I'm 12 days sober not taking anything to aid my restlessness and let me tell you its been tough. I'm also waiting for my sleepless nights to get better too. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, Matt! I'm sure you will find this very subforum - Newcomers to Recovery - to be most useful and welcoming, so post away here! You may want to join the Class of August thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2014-a-6.html Weekender threads (started here on a Thursday and going through the end of Sunday) are also supportive, inspirational, and just fun. When you have the time, browse around and see what else might speak to you here.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done for the determination. I got through my day two yesterday , was tough but I did it and you will too! I've been reading a lot around sleep and it's going to happen - different times for different people but it WILL come. Just some patience for us (which is not easy for an alcoholic like me)

I have been posting, reading and snoozing during these early days and riding through it. In fact it's crazy time in the UK at the moment and I am awake and posting but I know this is the alcohol leaving me and it has to be gone.

Keep posting for support.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice work Matt. 4-7 days and the sleep gets better for me....
Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job matt. The insomnia, and nightmares were tough. The usually go away after a few days.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 2 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-05-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattAbroad View Post
Hi everybody. Just woke up to my second day. First was very tough, and I know this one could be tougher. I have a plan for work today, and I have a meeting to make afterwards. With the grace of a higher power I know that I have it in me to make it through today. I just wanted to say hi to everyone and let you know that this site has been great for me so far only 17 hours since joining, and I know that it will be a great resource going forward.
A couple questions I have.
1. As a newcomer, I'm not completely sure in which forums to make posts, or who to reach out for, where I should be looking, etc. I could use a little bit of direction on getting the most out of this wonderful resource.
2. The past week has been very difficult and a cause and side effect has been that I am getting terrible sleep. I tried Ambien last night but I still could fall asleep and when I finally did, I had incredibly vivid dreams, one particularly disturbing. Any advice on finding a good night's rest ie pills, techniques, etc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for everything you've meant to me so far!
Hey Matt, I'm on day 3 and not much sleep for me either. Having disturbing nightmares also. Everything I've read so far suggests it will get better. Hang in there.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The sleep is rough, isn't it? But I've said ti before and I'll say it again, despite the lack of sleep this week I feel better than I do waking up with a hangover, terrible guilt and depression. It will pass and each night will become easier, you just need to ride through it right now looking forward to what awaits. Maybe a nice hot tea at night would help. I don't know if you can find Celestial Seasonings brand there (I can't here, but when folks visit from the US I have them bring me boxes) but they make a great one called "Tension Tamer" not sure what is in it off hand, but it is relaxing in a very mild way. Also, have you ever tried self hypnotism? I used to do that and it was amazingly relaxing. It is not like what you see on tv with people acting all weird, it is more of a relaxation technique with breathing ond focussing exercises. It takes some work at first to get into it, but when I was doing it regularly I got to the point where I could go through the whole routine in about 5-8 minutes then drift off to sleep waking to find myself unbelievably energized and feeling great.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Matt you're very welcome to keep posting in Newcomers forum for as long as you like.
Feel free to check out our Class of August support thread too (in this forum)

you can also use the alcoholism forum any time you like - the only really difference is it's a smaller and slower forum and has a higher concentration of longer term members.

D
Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done Matt, the only real cure for withdrawal is time so a bit of patience and you'll be fine. I usually find anywhere between 4 and 10 days depending on how long I was drinking before I stopped. Well done on getting through day one friend all the benefits of sobriety are just around the corner.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Good job Matt!

I find now that waking up early and working out helps. Then no naps in the day. Sleep still is off but it seems good for me to try stay active during the day to get my body tired for the night!

Welcome to the boards! :-)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Matt. Those early days are the hardest. For sleep I used guided sleep meditation music. I downloaded it and it really helped. It will get easier. We also have the 24 hour thread, where you commit not to drink for the next twenty four hours. That helps me. Also Tuesday and Friday we have the chat meetings at 8pm central. I love the chat meetings. Post away. The people here are loving and supportive and we all help each other on this journey. So glad you have joined us.