Notices

A unconventional view of the reality of alcholism

Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A unconventional view of the reality of alcholism

Hey folks TDG is alcoholic, man did this man love drinking. I drank and gambled myself to abject poverty, losing friends, and health issues at 34. I am not going to lie like many do, I loved drinking if I could do it again without damage I would.Yep, if I could drink again without afflicting damage on myself I would. However, that isn't an option anymore, now I need to be sober from my habits because my life has become " unmanageable" and I am in a bad place.

I am an atheist, a no nonsense guy, I was once told if life doesn't hurt enough go out and drink again, once it hurts enough get help. Well, I struggled and went through hell and back, homelessness, job loss, you know the story, chances if you are reading this you've been there and done that or worse.

Yes the idea of confronting an addict of drinking again and telling them hey look you want to drink, drink buddy flies in the face of everything taught to us. However, lets get serious, you are where you are because you didn't listen the advice of others, you thought or think you know better. Well guess what, most of us alkies think that at sometime and always end up in wrong and inflicting more damage on us.

I am not condoning drinking, but I am saying if you don't want this, don't bother, we as a community will still be here when it hurts enough. Yes, rock the world, TDG told an alkie to drink, but really they are the folks that will drink no matter what! No harm, just life, I mean when does reality hit the tracks.

I relapsed more than once, I loved relapsing, I thought man I got 16 days I don't need sobriety, I can handle this, and in the meantime watched life go to hell.

I am atheist I reject a traditional philosophy on the drink, all things many are taught in normal recovery or the existing ethos ( character in greek) that most are taught.

In my life I found I need to work a program and have boundries, I was taught do it this way or else. Well in my humble opinion be gone with that, I can reject the system but still work the elements that help me. I personally go to AA, but still have no higher power, other than alcohol and works the steps.

At the end of day its about doing what you gotta to do to stay sober, if you don't want to be sober, plenty of other folks do, not being unkind living reality, if you don't want to STOP you won't and nobody will stop you. What the hell? Am I wrong or the devil for telling it how it is, I hope not I love everyone and want everyone to stop, but if you don't want to do something TDG can't make you. Unconventional and against so many beliefs, but hey at least honest is found here.

If alcohol is damaging your life, and you can't won't stop consider harm reduction, if you know that you can't handle a drink stop and consider AA or rational recovery or CBT, but if you don't really want sobriety TDG is going to say it how it is, drink brother/sister, nobody can stop. The abilty to stop or starts lies within you and you only. Praying ( as an atheist, ask me how if you want to learn how) for you and stay safe and sober. Yes this is unconvential view of sobriety, but bringing the truth as TDG see's it. Stay safe and sober work, what works for you!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think the part when you mentioned that only the Alcoholic that truly wants to stop can make it happen makes sense.

I can't stop anyone from drinking. But I can share my experience and advise that by digging deeper, the person will find the bottom of the hole pretty fast.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

not a bad post but what is a tdg ? i read it many times in your post and i dont know that abbreviation
Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

tdg
ThatDeliveryGuy
Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Since it was mentioned. I wondered why you refer to yourself in the third person.

Maybe it's your addictive voice? I dunno.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said before, the trouble with telling people to go and drink is that some of us will never make it back.

D
Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Thatdeliveryguy View Post
I am not condoning drinking, but I am saying if you don't want this, don't bother, we as a community will still be here when it hurts enough. Yes, rock the world, TDG told an alkie to drink, but really they are the folks that will drink no matter what!!
I agree that you need to want sobriety more than anyting to achieve it. I disagree that it's acceptable to condone drinking for anyone though. Sure, some may continue drinking after repeated losses, many of us have. But suggesting one should continue to drink because they are somehow predestined to do so is irresponsible from the standpoint of a recovery community. And it's especially irresponsible in a newcomers forum IMHO.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

but many will dee, I don't make the decision for them, you don't make the the decision, they make that decision. Regardless of what is said or done, the decision lies with in them.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah a bit of ego maybe Thepatman, still learning in my sobriety to be humble thanks for pointing this out. Good day sir.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Scottfromwi, if you want a drink you're going to take a drink. Nobody but you stops you, I am not condoning the behavior I am saying if its what you want to do, just do it..... I lived in place of coddling for a long time, never did anything for me, yes it unconventional, but I am not the spawn of Satan for saying it, just one mans opinion of a see of sobriety research and studying, yet nobody has been able to stop the addict. IE nobody stop if they don't want to, not being irresponsible at all on my part, just presenting what I see.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah a bit of ego maybe Thepatman, still learning in my sobriety to be humble thanks for pointing this out. Good day sir.
yes i knew exactly what the tdg stood for but thought if i asked the question like i did it might just might make tdg have another look at how the post sounds : )

glad to see you picked up on it tdg
Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Scottfromwi, if you want a drink you're going to take a drink. Nobody but you stops you, I am not condoning the behavior I am saying if its what you want to do, just do it..... I lived in place of coddling for a long time, never did anything for me, yes it unconventional, but I am not the spawn of Satan for saying it, just one mans opinion of a see of sobriety research and studying, yet nobody has been able to stop the addict. IE nobody stop if they don't want to, not being irresponsible at all on my part, just presenting what I see.
So you are an atheist and not the spawn of satan. You don't believe in God yet seem to believe that satan reproduces?

You're right, those who choose to drink will do so. Why is it necessary to stamp you're okay with a Nike slogan? Just do it? Seriously?

I don't really understand the meaning of this post.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

its what you want to do, just do it.....
This is so far against the ethos of SR, and this forum that I'm closing this down.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links or materials to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Dee
SR