30 days and scared.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure both you guys will knuckle down and do great, ML and Tom

D
Old 08-09-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting this, ML. I relate to your predicament A LOT. It's great to see that you are taking positive steps to gain a sense of accomplishment. So often we just need a bit of encouragement to overcome the initial inertia. Keep posting and well done.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Have you consulted a doctor with this dilemma? Perhaps he or she can give you a prescription which will even you out and enhance your concentration. Calm you down and help you go step by step. One thing at a time. Don't look too far ahead. You've got over three weeks. Twenty five days. That's some space for you. Figure on doing at least one twenty fifth of the work each day. Tell your husband that this is a priority matter. Say that when you get over this hurdle then they're going to celebrate. Above all don't let it interfere with your sobriety. It will all work out if you don't let it interfere with your sobriety. Now get back to the quarterdeck and resume steering the ship! As they say in the Navy, "Don't Give Up The Ship!!"

W.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm so very glad I caught up with this thread Mindful. I am so very impressed that you were able to plunge in and make continuing progress! I'm about 6 weeks into sobriety and I still struggle with lethargy, lack of motivation, confusion, irritability etc etc. I feel so easily overwhelmed. I was considering attendance at funeral this morning but realized I was just out of gas. Although I knew the gal whose mom just passed...my guilt was more about being there for my friend who was attending FOR the gal whose mom that passed away as their friendship was close. Anyways, I knew I needed a "me day" that was to also include attending some much overdue chores and yardwork. I did some...but there is still lots to do.

One thing I did do today was go to the library and I picked up a book I think I was supposed to. I'm only a chapter or two in but the first chapter is all about making an intentional decision "to grow". The author coined this little gem "to grow yourself you have to know yourself"..and that really hit home for me. Sobriety for me is very much about "growing"...

Anyways..with respect to what you're doing, the author talks about our fear of making mistakes, our tendencies for perfectionism, our lack of direction and intentions regarding success. He talks about how we are all waiting for "motivation" to arrive before we do anything. And that just doesn't happen. We need to DO and in action...continuing motivation is the byproduct.

In my longwinded way, I just wanted to say "hats off to you"...
Despite your lethargy and your fear and the plethora of other things that was creating obstacles and barriers for you..

You went ahead and just did it.

Awesome and inspiring. Thank you.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You're sure to be better sober. Stay occupied. Sleep is important right now. Usually people at your stage have trouble with sleep. Do something physical every day, even if it's just walking for 30-45 minutes. This will help clear your head and it will help with sleep.

30 days is big. Don't give up. Stay the course. You can do this.