Notices

communion wine.......

Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

communion wine.......

What are peoples thoughts on taking communion?
I am a bit worried about what to do at communion..... do I say no to the wine? Let it touch my lips? Or take a very small sip? Will it ruin my soberiety?

thanks in advancexxx
Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Petals,

I think this is a personal decision for you. I am Catholic, and I choose to receive the Blood of Christ during Communion. It has never created an urge to drink for me personally, because I believe it is truly the Blood of Christ, not wine. That's just my experience. Receiving Communion (in both forms or the Body of Christ alone) has definitely helped me in my road to recovery.

In my church, if you do not wish to receive the Blood of Christ, one simply bows in the direction of the Cup and walks by. Nobody notices or cares who receives and who doesn't, as there are so many reasons, besides abstaining from alcohol, that may influence a person not to receive. If you are concerned about etiquette for not receiving, you could always talk with your pastor or go to church, sit in the back, and watch how others handle it before it's your turn to receive.

Best wishes!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When I quit drinking, I quit drinking. All alcohol. So, I don't drink the wine, nor dip the host in it. I checked with our rector, it's not a mandatory in the Episcopal church.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In church they give the communion and then off to the side is the person with the wine. Many people simply walk by. I always had even when drinking. I never liked the idea of sharing the cup. This was my church..I know of others that simply have tiny hospital like pill cups with a small mouthful....I see people ignore those as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In early recovery, I would probably take a hard line on all alcohol, it could be playing with fire, but it's personal choice I guess!!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I take a thimble sized serving at communion each week. I wasn't attending church early in my recovery. I had over 11 years sober when I started going to church and going to communion.
At my stage in recovery, I didn't view it as a trigger. I view taking communion as a holy sacrament. It's a reminder to me of the sacrifice given to us. If, this isn't foremost on your mind while receiving communion, perhaps you should abstain.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am also catholic. Like ESD, I never took the wine anyway and just walked by,for hygiene reasons. It is a very personal decision. Whilst it is the blood of Christ it still smells and tastes like alcohol, so for me, I would avoid
Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Communion wine is what triggered my X's relapse after a year sober. He takes wine juice instead which church arranged.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

best person to ask is your priest. And let him know why.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am Catholic and have never taken the wine for hygeine reasons. I take the host, which for most of my life was all that was offerred anyway.

It is a personal desicion, but if you are concerned, it is perfectly acceptable to not do both. Many celiac sufferers do only the wine due to the disease they have. Similar reason. health reason.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks for you thoughts, will give it some more thought before i do anything.
thanks again
x
Old 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I would talk to your priest or minister and ask if it is actually wine. Some congregations substitute juice for wine and call it wine. Our church uses juice so that everyone can partake.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

You may want to talk with your priest and ask about getting Mustum that a lot of alcoholic priests use. The church allows the use of this low alcohol substitute
Old 08-04-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a personal choice.

I believe in transubstantiation, but I rarely took the wine anyway (for most of my life it wasn't a choice...)

I consider I take communion with the bread only.

D
Old 08-04-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I seem to remember doing this with grape juice when I was a child. Talk to your priest.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

through bible study I learned 2 things:
as per scripture, it is not wine to be taken during the Lords supper. it is fruit of the vine, which is grapejuice.

taking the bread and not the fruit if the vine or vice versa is pointless. there is deep meaning to them both.

1 Peter 2:24
who Himself bore our sins in His own BODY on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness--by whose stripes you were healed.

The above scripture actually sums up the meaning of the bread of the Lord’s Supper. His body as referred to in the above scripture is represented by the bread. His body was delivered up to deliver us from sin so that we can live for Him.

Colossians 1:14
in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.
Ephesians 1:7
in Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

The purpose of forgiveness of sins is that we can have life, eternal life. The cup which stands for forgiveness and redemption, also has a flip side or resurrection side to it. The resurrection message of the blood is life, eternal life, or abundant life. The full meaning of the cup, simply stated, is deliverance from death into life.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, interesting question. I'm not a Catholic or even a Christian for that matter so this would never have occurred to me.

Hope you found some good feedback. SR is great for that.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am Episcopalian. I take a very small sip or a small dip (in cold/flu season). By doing so I do not feel I have "relapsed" or broken my sobriety. Some may think so and if they believe so... that is their decision. It is a personal decision and no one will (or should) deride you for it. In my church a man who has been sober for 30+ years does not take the wine. But there is another of similar sobriety who does.

Many protestant churches use grape juice which makes it all a moot point.

Frankly, wine tastes horrible, so I just dip/sip and go on.