Notices

How To Quit Without Feeling S**t!

Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering

Thumbs up How To Quit Without Feeling S**t!

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has read this book and what there thoughts are on it! This is the book that truly started my understanding of alcohol, its affects on the mind and body and why it affects us this way.

Althought I am still drinking on weekends I have cut down quite a lot with the advice in this book and especially following the recommended vitamins and amino acid supplements.

If anyone has any experience with the book or is doing something similar in terms of following a healthy diet and taking vitamin supplements would love to hear!

Check out the book:
How To Quit Without Feeling S**T: The Fast, Highly Effective Way To End Addiction To Caffeine, Sugar, Cigarettes, Alcohol, Illicit Or Prescription Drugs - Kindle edition by Patrick Holford. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-04-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I haven’t read the book nor do I intend to. I’ve never heard of an alcoholic being successful at drinking in moderation for the long run, say 90 days. That’s my experience being among thousands of alcoholics for a lot of years.
If you travel that route please report your experience in weekly posts. HONESTLY.

BE WELL
Old 08-04-2014, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi IOAA2 I am not planning to drink in moderation and the book does recommend abstaining from all alcohol for 90 days whilst following a healthy diet and lifestyle whilst taking the recommended supplements.

I have been back and forth with drinking since I was 16 but tend to drink mainly on the weekends in a social environment. This book has taught me a lot and I recommend it to anyone who is new looking to start recovery
Old 08-04-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't read the book but I would imagine there is always going to be a certain period of adjustment, the human body can't withstand large volumes of alcohol over a long period of time and then bounce back in a night, it's gonna take time.

For me a healthy diet, plenty of fluids and sleep was what I did at the start, but I still felt pretty out of it, withdrawals are gonna happen to most people no matter what we do.

You can do this!!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Drknz View Post
Hey Guys,

Althought I am still drinking on weekends I have cut down quite a lot with the advice in this book and especially following the recommended vitamins and amino acid supplements.

????????????? I took that as what a lot mean by moderate drinking.

BE WELL
Old 08-04-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had the entire CD set. I acquired a small fortune in vitamin supplements (as did my sister). That was a couple years back. Although informative, it was not the answer for either of us...obviously. I am about 6 weeks sober. She is about 5 months...via a decision and support.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Drknz View Post
This book has taught me a lot and I recommend it to anyone who is new looking to start recovery
I commend you for starting your recovery journey. As for the book...Google the author, Patrick Holford. He seems to have some credibility issues.

Oh, and when you do quit drinking you will likely feel S#i!. They're called feelings. What I drank to avoid.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EndGame

I drank because I liked the way it made me feel. After a time, I drank so I wouldn't feel like s**t. Guess what happened.

I don't know about the book, but I imagine that if I were to stop doing virtually anything to myself that dramatically altered my body chemistry, my thinking or my feelings, I would feel like s**t for a time as a result.

We're human. We look for shortcuts because we're mortal. But I don't believe that avoiding pain in the extreme and at all costs pays many dividends in the long run.

Feeling like s**t was only a huge motivator in my building a better life for myself without alcohol. If the goal of things like sobriety or therapy is "feeling good," then we've lost before we've even started.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think there's any way to quit and not hurt. For most of us we drank or used for years if not decades.

Removing our drug of choice is going to hurt.

I understand why books like these are popular tho - noone likes to hurt

If you can manage to cut down and be at peace with your drinking then good for you Drnkz - hope it works - but I gotta say that honeymoon period never lasted very long for me.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-04-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am a skeptic. I feel like we got ourselves into this situation and its only natural to have to work hard to get ourselves out of it. Otherwise how would we appreciate being sober?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

from your description, does not sound like that book is for alcoholics. Just for people that want to change their lifestyle. Sort of like starting an exercise regime for some people. Or people who start to juice, etc. Moderation is not for alcoholics. And IMO, if moderation works the person was/is not alcoholic and for the true alcoholic this is sort of scary, to think more people will delude themselves into moderating. The fact that you are placing emphasis on this, sort of screams, I have a real problem. People w/o problems don't try and fail to quit. They don't think about booze often. Again, just My op.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recovering

Just to be clear I in no way plan to drink in moderation. I realise that as soon as it hits my lips I will drink till I am very drunk or nearly passed out, it also affects me during withdrawal.

This book in no way recommends moderation if you have a drinking problem, neither is it a magic cure or pill for the suffering of withdrawal. However I did find the advice and the supplements in the book do greatly help with Alcohol withdrawal and getting better.

The book recommends 5HTP and GABBA to ease anxiety and depression during recovery.
I recommend it as a helping hand to anyone however I agree theres still gonna be a degree of discomfort.

Day 2 for me again! off to work
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't waste your money on supplements. Just eat a healthy balanced diet and you won't need them.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I wish you all the best and it really depends what you want doesn't it? If you want to stop all together or if you want to cut down. I personally don't beleive anyone with an issue with alcohol can drink in moderation over long periods of time and speak from experience. I hope you prove me wrong. Take care and good luck!