Notices

Got "hired" by a couple places

Old 08-02-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got "hired" by a couple places

But it's only official after a background test

I have dui's so I'm terrified they're going rescind the offer

They only asked for felonies on the application though and I don't have any

Are places like best buy, target, and Barnes and noble strict about dui's?

I wish they'd just disappear after being sober over a year now but I know that's not going to happen, I'll be crushed if I don't get these jobs because of dui's, it's so hard to move on when people are constantly judging you on your past, god I hate my genes
Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your tentative offers!!

I know it sucks. I would think for an in-house retail job, they'd be checking more for things like theft and that a dui wouldn't hurt your chances. Anyway, the past gets farther and farther away every day. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on the offer! No, they shouldn't care about DUI's because:
1. A lot of folks have 'em. That would have to be a really high paid job to be able to filter out folks with DUIs.
2. They didn't ask for it. If they wanted to know - they'd ask.
3. Like onyx said, think of it in a context of a job description. Unless you are driving a corp vehicle, it shouldn't matter.
I can see if there were two identical candidates lined up, they might favor someone with no DUI, but you're already in the 'offer' stage.

As far as I know, the only jobs (outside of being a driver) that care about DUI and prev. use histories are jobs that require security clearances. Even then it matters how long ago that happened, the circumstances and of course the level of clearance required, as well as many other variables.

Don't sweat over it and again congrats!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the offers! Oryx makes a good point " the past gets farther and farther behind".
Old 08-02-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I would think it would depend upon what type of job you are applying for. If the job requires driving, they might frown on an applicant with DUIs, but if it's an inside sales type job, I wouldn't think it would be that big a deal. It's really hard to tell these days.

Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll find something. (((HUGS)))
Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's just electronics sales at best buy, target, etc...in the store entry-level pay, still nervous, I'm trying to get my life back on track
Old 08-02-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
EndGame

In many states, acquiring teacher certification and other jobs sanctioned by the states' Boards of Education (such as becoming a licensed social worker) can be difficult following a DUI conviction. The only way you'll know if this affects your being hired is if the hiring mangers tell you why you weren't hired. If they don't tell you, I would ask why you weren't hired. You may learn something important that can help you in your job search and in your future interviews.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been hired though and it's contingent on my background check, so it'd be pretty obvious
Old 08-02-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

The main thing is...whatever happens now is out of your hands. Don't waste time worrying about something over which you have no control. To fret now would be like worrying about a test you took yesterday.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's very true
Old 08-02-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And yes I heard about teachers needing to be pretty clean on the criminal record, I guess that's maybe because parents would be pretty angry if they knew their kid's teacher had a record
Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wish you luck. Everyone deserves a second chance.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Congrats on the offers but may i ask why you hate your genes? I understand that there's a genetic factor to alcoholism but it is possible to live in recovery for many many, many years despite this. You don't have to like the genetic factor but don't hate it. It does us no good to hate part of our very selves. For me, i have found peace in accepting this and working with what i've been given. While i wouldn't wish alcoholism on anyone, i am strangely grateful for my life and escapades in alcoholism. They've all led me to recovery and to a kind of peace, insight and gratitude that many people never experience.

Wishing you luck with the jobs and peace with yourself, friend!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck, I sincerely wish you all the best. For what it's worth I have employed people in these types of positions and theft was an absolute no no but DUI was not a deal breaker. It depends on company policy I suppose. All the best
Old 08-03-2014, 01:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I suppose it depends on what the question on the application form said,if there was one, and how you answered it.

I know in the UK the wording on application forms differs. On some you don't have to declare spent convictions which DUIs become after a period of time. Some don't ask about motoring convictions so you don't have to mention them. Some ask for full disclosure including spent convictions but these would not usually be asked for a sales role.

If a question is not answered honestly and a background check reveals the truth I imagine they would not hire due to honesty issues. As you have been honest or not been asked the question I'm sure you will be fine. I hope you are successful. I have a DUI from many years ago and know how hard it is when the past comes back to haunt us. Wishing you the best of luck
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep pushing through, I hope it all works out with the applications!!
Old 08-03-2014, 01:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Best of luck! Generally I would say no, a DUI won't keep you from getting hired. It might keep you from becoming a taxi driver or truck driver but not from a retail job.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

when I was at flight attendant training for 6 weeks in Minneapolis, we had a couple people kicked out for DUI's. They asked when we applied for the job if we had a DUI but I guess these people thought the airlines wouldn't really check and they did.

For nursing school, one man had a DUI. It was touch and go, he had to jump through some hoops but the board of nursing let him get his nursing license.

I think for retail it should be fine.

Everyone deserves a second chance.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks! Got my fingers crossed