What are you taking?
I am currently doing the following to try and heal my liver and body:
-warm glass of water with the juice of one lemon upon waking
-Vitamin B complex twice a day
-Omega 3 three times a day
-milk thistle twice a day
-Selenium once a day
-Multi vitamin once a day

I am also sporadically taking Kudzu. I had read prior to stopping that it reduced the amount of alcohol consumed by those who took it and just made people want to stop after one or two drinks. *******Lemme tell you, that's not the case if you are an alcoholic! I had high hopes that I had found my ticket out, but just like all the other tricks it was no match for my alcoholism. So don't even get any ideas
But, I did read it also helps with cravings and the desire for alcohol. I have to say, I might have noticed that a bit when I was still drinking (but again, fair warning, not enough to be of any help). I am still trying to take it just in case it might cut down on my cravings but I'd be interested if anyone else has tried it to share their thoughts.

Also, has anyone heard of Dima Hepa a supplement made by solgar? Apparently it is supposed to help the liver.

**Note, I'm not a doctor and not offering medical advice, nor seeking it. Just curious what others are doing to try and heal the physical damages that have been done.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Meraviglioso.. How long have you got???

Water & lemon is great plus Twinnings do a detox tea with milk thistle & lemon.
Liv 52 DS that's meant to really help..
Purim
Vitamin B Complex
Thiamin
Multi Vit
Magnesium
Silica
Copper
Iodine
Selenium
Wheat Grass & Spirulina
List is endless & trying to remember to take them. takes an hour out of the day!!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seriously! I can barely keep up with all the capsules and juices and everything else. I am going to visit a natural pharmacy next week to try and meet with someone to figure out a more concrete, medically advised plan and schedule for what I am taking. Sometimes I feel like to read "helps the liver" and I'm like SOLD!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

seems most doctors agree these days
that
a multivitamin is about all that is needed in most cases
although some say not even that
MM

Vitamins & Supplements

Listen to this page using ReadSpeaker

Experts: Don't Waste Your Money on Multivitamins

Three studies find the supplements don't help extend life or ward off heart disease and memory loss

WebMD News from HealthDay

By Brenda Goodman

HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, Dec. 16, 2013 (HealthDay News) -- With three new studies finding that a daily multivitamin won't help boost the average American's health, the experts behind the research are urging people to abandon use of the supplements.

The studies found that popping a daily multivitamin didn't ward off heart problems or memory loss, and wasn't tied to a longer life span.

The studies, published in the Dec. 17 issue of the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, found that multivitamin and mineral supplements did not work any better than placebo pills.

Dietary supplements are a multibillion-dollar industry in the United States, and multivitamins account for nearly half of all vitamin sales, according to the U.S. Office of Dietary Supplements.

But a growing body of evidence suggests that multivitamins offer little or nothing in the way of health benefits, and some studies suggest that high doses of certain vitamins might cause harm.

As a result, the authors behind the new research said it's time for most people to stop taking them.

"We believe that it's clear that vitamins are not working," said Dr. Eliseo Guallar, a professor of epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.

In a strongly worded editorial on the three studies, Guallar and his co-authors urged people to stop spending money on multivitamins.

Even a representatives of the vitamin industry asked people to temper their hopes about dietary supplements.

"We all need to manage our expectations about why we're taking multivitamins," Duffy MacKay, vice president of scientific and regulatory affairs for the Council for Responsible Nutrition, a trade group that represents supplement manufacturers, said in a prepared statement.

"Research shows that the two main reasons people take multivitamins are for overall health and wellness and to fill in nutrient gaps," MacKay said. "Science still demonstrates that multivitamins work for those purposes, and that alone provides reason for people to take a multivitamin."

However, Guallar said, it's not clear that taking supplements to fill gaps in a less-than-perfect diet really translates into any kind of health boost.

"It would be great if all dietary problems could be solved with a pill," he said. "Unfortunately, that's not the case."

For the first study, researchers randomly assigned almost 6,000 male doctors over the age of 65 to take either a daily Centrum Silver multivitamin or a look-alike placebo pill. Every few years, the researchers gave the men a battery of tests over the telephone to check their memories.

The men in the study were in pretty good health to begin with, and 84 percent said they faithfully took their pills each day.

After 12 years, there was no difference in memory problems between the two groups.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went old school. Cod liver oil, it kills everything worth killing. Havent been ill in over 2 years. Cholesterol great too.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do you take the capsules of the *gulp* liquid form ESD?
Old 08-02-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The liquid...keep in the fridge, just take a typical spoon full each morning prior to coffee. Odd, but I used to have dry eyes, fixed that. I seriously have not had a cold..anything.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

I just take a multivitamin. Hope that's enough for now. Women's one a day! Lol I had all my bloodwork done a while ago and I was just low on vitamin D.

Who knows!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello!
I am a firm believer that a return to physical health does indeed help an addict or alcoholic in their recovery. Obviously, abstaining is the first step. Then healing all the damage we have done. In a perfect world, we could get all the vitamins and minerals we need from our food, but that isn't the case anymore (especially with minerals), and the fact that a lot of us eat processed, nutrient void garbage, or often hardly anything for a long while in the throws of addiction. Also, not all supplements are created equally. Many are a true waster of money, and like anything else we do indeed get what we pay for.
My naturopathic doctor has me on many things based on various tests (and she is on board with my MD...my family doctor supports and agrees with this).
I am currently on:
Milk thistle, twice a day
Liver Plus by Omega Alpha as directed
calcium magnesium 2-3 times a day
probiotic every morning
fish oil 2-3 times a day
evening primrose oil 2-3 times a day
chlorella 3 times a day
vit c 3 times a day
zinc once a day
kelp twice a day
B complex once a day
tryptophan at night
melatonin at night (as needed)

I also take various herbs/supplements as needed for anxiety. I also make sure my diet consists of high quality fruits and vegetables, and meat. I also make a vegetable juice or smoothie first thing in the morning after my lemon water. And digestive enzymes with everything, as alcoholics do not digest food and absorb nutrients well at all.

My boyfriend was extremely sceptical about all of this at first. Now, he wants me to keep up with it and has no trouble with me buying the supplements and paying for the tests and such, as he has noticed an incredible difference.

I highly recommend the book "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" by Joan Mathews Larson to anyone who is interested in learning more about this. For me, it was well worth the investment.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Men's Centrum daily + Vitamin B complex booster 3 times per day with meal. Also 3 meals a day as HALT insurance. Walking as much as I can. Thinking of joining the local Y this winter.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Windancer View Post
Hello! I am a firm believer that a return to physical health does indeed help an addict or alcoholic in their recovery. Obviously, abstaining is the first step. Then healing all the damage we have done. In a perfect world, we could get all the vitamins and minerals we need from our food, but that isn't the case anymore (especially with minerals), and the fact that a lot of us eat processed, nutrient void garbage, or often hardly anything for a long while in the throws of addiction. Also, not all supplements are created equally. Many are a true waster of money, and like anything else we do indeed get what we pay for. My naturopathic doctor has me on many things based on various tests (and she is on board with my MD...my family doctor supports and agrees with this). I am currently on: Milk thistle, twice a day Liver Plus by Omega Alpha as directed calcium magnesium 2-3 times a day probiotic every morning fish oil 2-3 times a day evening primrose oil 2-3 times a day chlorella 3 times a day vit c 3 times a day zinc once a day kelp twice a day B complex once a day tryptophan at night melatonin at night (as needed) I also take various herbs/supplements as needed for anxiety. I also make sure my diet consists of high quality fruits and vegetables, and meat. I also make a vegetable juice or smoothie first thing in the morning after my lemon water. And digestive enzymes with everything, as alcoholics do not digest food and absorb nutrients well at all. My boyfriend was extremely sceptical about all of this at first. Now, he wants me to keep up with it and has no trouble with me buying the supplements and paying for the tests and such, as he has noticed an incredible difference. I highly recommend the book "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" by Joan Mathews Larson to anyone who is interested in learning more about this. For me, it was well worth the investment.
Goodness! That's a ton to take! I don't think I would remember to take all those!

Where did you buy them? I might make a stop at the store and look for some helpful vitamins like that.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
The liquid...keep in the fridge, just take a typical spoon full each morning prior to coffee. Odd, but I used to have dry eyes, fixed that. I seriously have not had a cold..anything.
...ooopss.. i also take mega Vit D and folate....due to Lupus and RA. I have both diseases. I'm on a fairly high doseage of Methotrexate (chemo drug) for the RA..so I need to take rx folic acid..and the Lupus causes my body to deplete the D. I've blood work run every 2 weeks. I know all my levels. I'm pretty good everywhere. The odd thing is, my liver was okay while drinking. once I started on the chemocrap it started to elevate..but holding its own in the safe region.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.
- Michael Pollan
Old 08-02-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

To be honest, it feels like some of the posts are hovering on the brink of medical advice.

If you want to know how to supplement your diet -- and, yes, we should get our nutrients from food but easier said than done -- talk with a physician. Consult a university-trained nutritionist who is credentialed.

There is scant credible, peer-reviewed literature to support many, perhaps most, claims about herbs and supplements. (In fact, some can be harmful if taken in certain combinations.)

There are, on the other hand, many millions of dollars spent on marketing such products to appeal to a variety of wants and needs. Much of the advertising makes claims that tip-toe around the edges of legal, and certainly ethical, boundaries.

In other words, consumer beware.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

has anyone tried this patch? this herbal patch? I am curious about it
[url]http://www.accu-metrics.com/alco-stat.php[/url
Old 08-02-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Venecia, doctors are notoriously ignorant on nutrition and supplements.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I start my morning at 7 am everyday with a probiotic and glass of warm water and lemon juice. Then I have a whey protein shake or a piece of fruit with 2 scrambled eggs, depending on time. I always have coffee with almond milk and brown sugar. Mid day I take 3 capsules of omega fish oil, magnesium, vitamin b complex, and a shot of this wheatgrass vitamin drink that's really expensive and tastes gross lol, but it's supposedly the best! I eat lean fish, protein, and vegi's for lunch and dinner. I always have a little dessert, like a chocolate coconut bar that is only 150 calories and dairy free. I hope this helps someone!
Old 08-02-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MindfulLiving View Post
Venecia, doctors are notoriously ignorant on nutrition and supplements.
That's not been my experience.

I made myself sick self medicating with supplements - which is why I always recommend folks see their Dr before taking any supplements, especially if you have existing health concerns or are on medication.

What has worked for someone else may not work, or even be suitable, for you.

As far as medical advice goes, please do share your experience but we ask you not to make recommendations for others

Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals
Dee
SR
Old 08-02-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

last time I was at the doctor the nurse asked me to LIST my medications because I didn't put any on the form. I said I'm not taking anything - really? seriously? I take the occasional multi vitamin and Glucosamine-Chondroitin as recommended by the guy that scoped my knee.
other than that, a well balanced diet works I think
Old 08-02-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I eat a banana. Much cheaper than buying all those supplements.