Notices

Vodka is now my safe place

Old 08-02-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Vodka is so far from a safe place

Vodka/gin/rum/wine - take your poison

ALL made my problems MUCH worse - created problems that weren't there - damaged my health (hopefully no permanent damage but who knows)

you can stay on the never-ending hamster wheel that alcoholism is or you can get off

why not just try sobriety for a bit? see and compare your life with 6 months sobriety to how it was
Old 08-02-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
quat

Alcohol doesn't end the pain, it numbs temporarily the feeling of the pain, if that makes any sense(?).
I am sorry for your lose and the pain of grieving, I wish you solace from the feeling, but numbing the feeling will not wash away the pain, it will only delay it and bring more .
Wish you well
Old 08-02-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some posts of a personal nature were removed.

Please keep personal comments to PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss memastrole. I have been numbing pain for years with drinking. It just doesn't work or make things better. I just had a relapse recently after many months of sobriety. Nothing was fixed by me drinking again. It only made things worse and now I am suffering physically and mentally once again. Please don't drink the vodka. Again, I am so sorry for your loss.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I cannot fathom the pain that you must feel.

I do, however, understand the lure of something to numb that pain, to soften the edge that cuts so deep. That warm cocoon, so inviting, invites you deeper and deeper. Comfortably numb, you willingly follow. Your brain, designed to handle survival in the wilderness rather than vodka, is inadequately equipped to avoid the alcohol-driven destruction of your life, your family, your friendships, and your dreams.

You know in your head where vodka leads. You know where it will end, as it has for countless others. You have read their stories, heard their stories. You know it in your head, you understand it.

No parent should survive their children. Your situation is extremely painful, and you need all the help you can get. Friends, family, a mental health professional, a priest or other religious representative, this website. All of the above. You need to reach out for help and avoid isolation. You need time - a lot of time. You need to mourn, to cry. A lot. Denial, anger, despair, sorrow. Those are all natural responses to loss, and help you to heal. You need to find a new focus, a reason to live, someone, something. All of the above can help heal you.

Vodka can and will kill you, but only after it has painfully destroyed everything and everyone that meant anything to you.

I urge you to choose instead to live, to shun alcohol and reach out for help. Many people have suffered terrible losses, yet been able over time to heal their wounds and live beautiful lives notwithstanding such losses.

I am very sorry for your loss!
Old 08-02-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

NIN - the great below - YouTube
Old 08-02-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I've never endured the sort of pain you have - my heart goes out to you - but I've endured enough to know that alcohol did nothing but add to the pain, sadness, and misery. It enhances what you are already feeling. It might seem like a safe place or an escape at times, but it is really only digging the hole you're in even deeper.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

"It (alcohol) enhances what you are already feeling" by GetMeOut
Old 08-02-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think many of us here drink to numb feelings or pain. I am so very sorry for your loss, I don't have any advice except to say you are not alone, please please reach out to your family or friends, even us here on SR, to help you through this horrible time.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dear Memastrole, I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for you to be comforted. Please keep posting - you have many friends here who care.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss memastrole.

I hope you will decide to put the vodka down tho. In my experienxe all alcohol does, at best, is push the pain to one side for a little while...but it always comes back...which means more vodka....

the wound stays raw and smarting that way. It's never heals.

The great tragedy of losing someone is horrific. But losing yourself too could make it worse.

There's a ton of support here - and elsewhere. Have you considered counselling at all?
D
Old 08-02-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Memastrole - so very sorry for your incredible loss and for my earlier misguided response. What I thought I was responding to was something else, not in context. I pray that you find peace and the strength to endure and to help your partner through this tragic time.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Vodka was my safe place too (so I thought). Until one day last year I had liver pains so bad I thought I was going to die. That's when I decided to stop and just see how I felt. At first I didn't think I could do it, but after a month w/o it I started to feel so much better physically. I didn't go to bed at night thinking I was going to die anymore. I'm 8 months sober now and good gosh I could kick myself in the ass for waiting this long. If you can stop and let the fog clear you may see a different picture.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wondering how you are today Memastrole - thinking of you.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I can't judge, loss is hard...so very hard. But know this...your baby wants you happy and healthy (((hugs)))
Old 08-03-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Memastrole,

To lose one's own child is a horrific tragedy unlike any other in this world and I am so sorry for your loss.

I hope you are able to find the support you need and a healthy way to mourn this tragedy.

You already know that vodka isn't going to help you mourn, though. And in terms of your grieving process, I imagine it could have a very damaging long-term effect on your psyche.

Wishing healing, support, and peace to you and your family.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I hope you find the support to get through this time. Please hang in there and take care of yourself, for your own sake and the sake of other loved ones. Thoughts and prayers are with you...
Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Vodka will not help the grieving. ...I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what pain you must feel. But you must feel it-you are not safe with vodka. It is dangerous stuff. A grief counselor could help you get through this. Vodka will make matters worse.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

A gallon of vodka a week... Wasn't safe for me. Sorry for your loss. My experience is that vodka will eventually take everything else that you love.