Notices

shocked

Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

shocked

I've been with my brother for the last 2 days, and I believe he's in last stage. Has lost tons of weight, skin is covered in bruises and sores, drinks vodka continuously unless sleeping, has bouts of vomiting, eats very little, can barely stand and can only walk with walker/assistance, will not go to doctor or hospital, wears depends and doesn't care about cleanliness; looks very close to pics I've seen of POWS; any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome erhea - I'm very sorry for your situation but I'm glad you found us. You'll find a lot of support here.

Unfortunately I believe the only way alcoholics can stop is when they have the desire to do so. Has your brother given any indication that he wants to stop?

D
Old 08-01-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I'm very sorry to hear that. I don't know where you are, if you're in the states can you Baker Act for his protection? That has to be so hard on you.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum erhea!!

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother!!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. It sounds like your brother needs medical attention immediately. Is there a way you can facilitate that? Could you call someone to come to the home? I am sorry I cannot offer more concrete advice. I would suggest researching emergency care without consent on the internet. Best of luck.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

It sounds like your brother is in dire straits. I would call a doctor ASAP and see if they can tell you what you can legally do. If he can be committed, voluntarily or involuntarily, that may be best for him short term. By your description, he seems to be pretty far down the path of destructive alcoholism. Just remember that if you find there is nothing you can legally do and you've exhausted all options of getting him to seek help, you've done all you can. You're not Superman. You may even try calling your local AA hotline and seeing if they'd be willing to send some people to 12th step him. It often happens that where a nonalcoholic cannot connect to a suffering alcoholic, a sober alcoholic, despite being a stranger, can.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh my, that is a serious situation. It reminds me of a documentary about a young man who was exactly the same as you describe. By that time, a person's body is revolting hard against the poison and medical attention is required.

I hope your brother finds the strength to seek help - and if there is an option to have him admitted I'd take it. It really is a matter of life and death. He can recover, but in my opinion serious professional attention is in order.

Sending positive thoughts your way - stay close here. Many folks have either been where he is or know someone who is. Good advice and support are important for you right now.