Notices

I don't recognize me :(

Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't recognize me :(

Today I went shopping and bought a full length mirror. What is saw in it has me wondering who I really am. The girl in the mirror I didn't recognize. She's overweight, sloppy looking and bloated. But it's me. How can I let myself get like this and not even know. I feel completely disgusted with myself.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats what addiction does - it blinds us.

I'm sure you'll look better and feel better in time without those empty calories and some exercise

D
Old 08-01-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I've noticed weight gain but I didn't realize the extreme of it. I'm embarrassed to leave my house now.
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Waterfalls - I think as we start caring for ourselves & treating ourselves kindly both with our thinking & what we put in our bodies, we will look in the mirror & like who we see in front of it. Be kind to yourself as you would a friend. ((hugs)) to you.
  # 5 (permalink)  
Let Go, Let God

Waterfalls, I can 100% relate to this. I almost don't want to look in the mirror most days because I won't recognize the once successful, college educated, driven, confident woman I once was. I'm bloaty (that's due to something else), and I don't take care of my looks as much as I used to. It's sad. It's very heartbreaking. And our addiction did this to us. However, we can put a stop to it. Just keep your head up. I'm doing the same.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. Every day sober is an eye opener to something new. I guess this was today's lesson. At least I have my health.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know the feeling waterfalls. I was never a particularly vain guy but I always made sure I was well-groomed, dressed nicely, and in decent shape. When the booze took over I became a slob. My perception was through those rose colored glasses that a few beers always had me looking through so I didn't see how bad my physical appearance had declined. I am back down to my normal weight now but for 3-4 years I was 50 lbs overweight.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ugh it's shocking to see what I've become. I had someone really close to me die in a car wreck in 2002. I think that's when I really started to spiral downhill. My brain had me thinking I still looked like that person from 2002. And I guess only having a bathroom mirror that shows only my face didn't help. But who would have thought. Self reflection. It's always a wake up call.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To quote the words of Helena Rubinstein...there are no ugly women only lazy ones....alcohol makes you lazy, plain and simple. We lose our zest for life and all motivation.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is sooo true , I gained a lot of weight from drinking / partying / eating crap and now I am sober looking in the mirror like ...WTF

That is my next goal shed the 50 pounds !!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too. Gotta lose 30 lbs. The weight u nfortunately didn't drop off when I qiut drinking. And i love to cook. But keeping sober has been my priority. I'm going to address the food consumption and weight issue SOON. Waterfalls, there is no time like the present to make some changes. Cutting back on sugar and increasing excercise is where I'm going to start.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know I really need to change my diet. I've been so focused on the mental improvements that the physical ones haven't really stood out. Tomorrow I'm back to working out for sure.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Me too ! But I like to start my goals on Monday and am planning on working out Mon- Fri , I bought a huge expensive treadmill last year and I plan to use it !

hugs!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Aww I'm sorry you're feeling that way. just remember it's nothing you can't fix! The same thing happened to me . I went out wearing a tight dress, that I looked great in a year ago.. The next day when I saw the pictures I was so disgusted.. alcohol totally changed my body. But with quitting drinking (minus some weekend slip ups) I'm back exercising and eating right, and just in a month I can see a noticeable difference. It'll just take some time.

That's great you're gona start working out tomorrow! You'll feel better and better each day! Don't beat yourself up. You already quit drinking, that's the biggest step.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Waterfalls,

The same thing happened to me. My guy and I were looking through an old photo album and he looked at a picture and said, "That doesn't even look like you!" He meant no harm, in fact it was a totally innocent and objective observation. He apologized afterwards when I told him it hurt my feelings. The worst part is that he was simply speaking out of surprise, and honestly. Ouch!

A few weeks later a friend on Facebook said that one picture from 2009 didn't even look like me, again! She had to even ask, "Is that really you? I would have preferred a slap in the face.

I'm on day 35 here and although the weight is not dropping nearly as fast as I thought it would, it is slowly. I was a heavy daily drinker.

Improvements:

Face no longer red, flushed, and sweaty
Eyes more bright. No more red, glassy eyes
Skin better
Better hygiene
More energy to dress nicer
Weight is coming off slowly
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Waterfalls2014 View Post
I've noticed weight gain but I didn't realize the extreme of it. I'm embarrassed to leave my house now.
I also saw the numbers on the scale but booze had this way of blinding me. I never thought I looked great but I didn't see the full extent of my appearance until I quit alcohol. I would see it in photos, especially holiday and party photos. I was like, good lord, I look terrible! but I still thought I could just moderate and lose weight. It never happened.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

I'm in the same boat Hun! I just reached 7 days sober. Finally had the nerve to step on the scale. I gained even more weight than I had thought.

So I decided that now that I am sober... Time to get my rear in gear. Go to the gym, fix my hair, and treat myself right and eat healthy.

The weight will go. Focus on your health and let this be motivation to keep sober!

We are all beautiful people, inside and out, who have succumb to a sad disease. But it's not to late! We're here aren't we? We can change!

:-)
Old 08-01-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh honey! I remember looking in the mirror and saying "what the hell happened here"?? HAng in there!!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Our addictions seem to promise so much in life, but don't seem to deliver on any of it, instead our bodies bear the brunt of it all!!

But in time that can be turned around!!