Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

OT - Dustin Johnson PGA golfer - leave/suspension for addiction

Notices

Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just shows, addiction can get to anyone. Guy is 30 years old prime of his career, great golfer, absolutely gorgeous fiancee/wife (Wayne Gretzky's daughter), world in the palm of his hands, and it appears drugs/alcohol have been his undoing. Hope he gets things sorted out.

Dustin Johnson is suspended six months by PGA Tour after testing positive for cocaine use - ESPN

Dustin Johnson takes leave of absence from golf - ESPN
Old 08-01-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeap, addiction doesn't discriminate, it's an equal opportunities employer!!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeowch. Yep, nobody's immune. Johnson is the #16 ranked player in the WORLD, that's unreal. Hope he gets the help he needs, clearly it's a problem for him if he's going to treatment and having to leave the PGA behind. We can only imagine the sort of things that must have been going on, but we fellow addicts/alcoholics know that a lot goes on behind the scenes.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

While not a prof. of this level, I date someone who runs a golf course as well as plays golf constantly. Pretty heavy drinking crowd and and lots of testosterone. I think Johnson is awesome for taking the time to take care of himself. Sometimes getting caught is what people need to start them on the right path.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

He's gotta dump Paulina Gretzky. She's a party girl in the same vein as Paris Hilton. Bad influence.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
He's gotta dump Paulina Gretzky. She's a party girl in the same vein as Paris Hilton. Bad influence.
Yeah, agreed, although as a male I must say that would be one DIFFICULT decision to dump a beauty like that, hehe
Old 10-16-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I recently read a celebrity news headline where he might be doing just that. I bumped this in lieu of the Odom over dose because from what I've heard the golf club atmosphere is one of the settings quite conducive to illegal drug use and heavy drinking. There tends to be a lot of money/cash floating around and privacy since many clubs are private. A lot of club golfers have had some success in their life which not only brings in money but the arrogance to rationalize/minimalize their bad habits. The addict here has spent a lot of time in these clubs and types hoping to network. I've also seen trashed credit receipts for a bar bill-2-4 guys 350$ for afternoon outing. And he used to go with a wad of cash along with a credit card.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's a shame its so in the public can you imagine dealing with that kind of exposure

I wish him well on his road to recovery
Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

The golf world is a prime place for abuse and addiction. John Daly's beverage of choice, while playing Tour events, was a triple Jack Daniel's.

I know for a fact that a certain level of stoned makes a better golfer of me. It's taken a few years for me to venture out to the golf course because of the alcohol there. My play was not great but, I had some moments that inspired me to keep going back. It was almost like zen archery when I hit the good shots.

Hang in there, Dustin.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well I see that this thread is over a year old...

But I have to admit, today is the first time ever heard of paulina gretsky.

either I'm doing something right or doing something wrong...

I'll stick with I'm doing something right.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have to say I had no idea they drug tested golfers. It made me laugh for a second as I always thought of golf as a mental\technique driven sport, not a sport one might use performance enhancing drugs for. Guess I learned something today. Do they drug test professional chess players? Here I come google!!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Answer is yes, they do drug test grandmaster chess players. Sad how powerful addiction is and how far reaching.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I saw a report that Johnny Manzel got pulled over after a domestic dispute with his girlfriend. He allegedly admitted he'd been drinking earlier. This after a widely publicized stint in rehab earlier this year. This could really hinder his career, if true.

He's been given an opportunity to revitalize his career, and it's just the beginning. Just shows the power of addiction.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It's been a long time since I did any golfing but when I did, we all drank lots of malt liquor and smoked as much pot as we could get ahold of. I think I've even golfed on acid. It was really just an excuse to get hammered, I guess.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
But I have to admit, today is the first time ever heard of paulina gretsky.

either I'm doing something right or doing something wrong...
WRONG!

dayum