SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Understanding your emotions (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/340651-understanding-your-emotions.html)

MrPhilDuck 08-01-2014 05:45 AM

Understanding your emotions

I just want to share something I have discovered in the past three weeks of soberty, my first three weeks of soberty in almost 9 years.

Understanding and dealing with your own emotions is essential, it's impossivel to be happy or in confort all the time, life is never an easy ride, bad moments come and go and that's a natural law, there's nothing we can do about it other than deal with it and getting stronger from experiences.

Alcohol offers an escapism to that, instead of knowing and understanding yourself and the way you feel you get drunk and numb yourself from reality, of course you can't scape from next day so in the moring after drinking you get far more depressed than you were in the first place. Only soberty offers a real path to happines, walking through the hard times and learning from it.

Being sober is the ultimate drug, because you deal with reality just as it is and since life is already a rollercoaster you can't get any more drunk or high than that.

Trouble1234 08-01-2014 07:55 AM

Loved this - Thanks for sharing!

HeadLump 08-01-2014 09:07 AM

Sobriety is a drug without side effects or hangovers as well! :)

Aellyce 08-01-2014 09:38 AM

This is great - thanks, MrPhilDuck! I do enjoy "getting high" on sober life :)

The one thing I would add is that, in my view at least, it's also a good idea to NOT get overly caught up on and introspect on emotions all the time. Many feelings are very volatile and if we grasp on every single moment too much, it can also cloud our view and hinder progress. This is one of the areas where I really like to apply a healthy, balanced non-attachment in sobriety. Understand ourselves and how we feel about things with a clear mind, but also don't cling to this understanding and feelings too much.

Congrats on 3 weeks sober!

MrPhilDuck 08-01-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by haennie (Post 4814420)
This is great - thanks, MrPhilDuck! I do enjoy "getting high" on sober life :)

The one thing I would add is that, in my view at least, it's also a good idea to NOT get overly caught up on and introspect on emotions all the time. Many feelings are very volatile and if we grasp on every single moment too much, it can also cloud our view and hinder progress. This is one of the areas where I really like to apply a healthy, balanced non-attachment in sobriety. Understand ourselves and how we feel about things with a clear mind, but also don't cling to this understanding and feelings too much.

Congrats on 3 weeks sober!

Totally agree with that.

Soberwolf 09-09-2014 05:00 PM

love this post

sickofthiscrap 09-09-2014 05:34 PM

Thank you for this post. Being willing to sit with my feelings is something I struggle with and I think has a lot to do with why I drank.

Alynn 09-09-2014 06:50 PM

Love this ! Thanks!

I can do all things through he who strengthens me

Trying2bhappy 09-10-2014 03:03 AM

Thank you!! I needed this today!! Congrats on 3 weeks!!!