Notices

Class of August 2014

Old 08-03-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi class of August. I'm joining on day 3 today. Time to be serious about not drinking. I hope you all are having a great sober weekend!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to all the newcomers to the thread - lets make this a great sober week

D
Old 08-03-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hello everyone in August welcome to Sr a great place to hang out sober.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hey just wondering how you guys are feeling?

What plans do you have to stay sober?

For me, I have been keeping busy and avoiding weird situations... for example, I went to spend the night at my mom's house last night. I usually drink quite a bit there because she has a lot of liquor (she is a moderate drinker) and she offers me drinks and food all day long. Of course I accept.

I tried to tell her last time I was there - I didn't SAY the word alcoholic but I told her that I can't drink anymore, it gives me anxiety. She just mentioned something about moderation. I relapsed on that trip.

Anyways, ; I prepared for this. I told her I was on a new diet and not drinking.

Still avoiding happy hour.

I feel great. My withdrawals are always minor but this time I experienced heart palpitations and an abnormal heartbeat which led to anxiety and hypochondria. That was only one night but it freaked me out.

How are y'all doing?
Old 08-03-2014, 06:55 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi Jade!

I avoided wine at a birthday party today and guzzled diet soda. We were handed an anniversary present on the way out. Turns out it has a nice crisp bottle of white in it.

Wahhh.

Anyway, to answer your question I do replacement drinks like sparkling and coconut water. Try to fit in exercise. Bubble baths, ice cream....distractions and temporary sugar replacements. And lots and lots of reading....I've read tons of recovery related books.

Trying to force myself to read one right now to distract and also remind myself....why drinking doesn't work for me.

How is everyone else doing tonight?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Count me in on the class of August 2014.

Back at day 1 after a long period of drinking again.

Finally sick and tired of it (again) and ready to do something about it before something bad happens.

Been watching my AVRT LIVE videos all day, along with some reading on here and in Alan Carr's EASY WAY book.

All of those tools have helped me achieve some stretches of sobriety in the past.

My plan is to utilize them more fully this time, and on a daily basis, to make it permanent.

It's time to be good to myself.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

What's avrt live?

Congrats on day 1.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Jade - the heart racing and anxiety was starting to wake me up out of a dead sleep around 3 AM on nights where I drank more than a couple glasses. It was like a jolt. And I would need to get some water or a banana, go to the bathroom, and breathe through heart palpitations for the next hour or two, hoping to just fall asleep. And promising myself I would never. Do. That. Again.

Until the next night. Ugh.

Yes, I really don't like heart palpitations and anxiety. Reminding myself of that while that bottle of white sits downstairs. I hope to give it to a visiting friend tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome skeletoncrue

dump it Applekat

D
Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Jade - the heart racing and anxiety was starting to wake me up out of a dead sleep around 3 AM on nights where I drank more than a couple glasses. It was like a jolt. And I would need to get some water or a banana, go to the bathroom, and breathe through heart palpitations for the next hour or two, hoping to just fall asleep. And promising myself I would never. Do. That. Again.

Until the next night. Ugh.

Yes, I really don't like heart palpitations and anxiety. Reminding myself of that while that bottle of white sits downstairs. I hope to give it to a visiting friend tomorrow.
I agree, you should dump it out.

It is like a jolt!

That's the one thing keeping me sober right now: I am afraid to wake up in the middle of the night like that again. The last few nights I have slept like a baby

And I woke up looking rested.

Apple, Congrats on not drinking at the party. I have been drinking soda which I never really drink normally.

Skeleton - congrats on day 1. Glad you are here with us
Old 08-03-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm on day one... Started reading posts last weekend. This site seems awesome.
The most I've had in 10 years is 3 months sober a couple times. Other than that is been a week or 2 here and there. I'm ready to quit for good and get my life back!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi sage! Good to see you.

What made you decide to quit this time?
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Just sick of struggling with it. I have a great life and husband but I still continue to drink. It's a burden I want to unload and be free! I always start out good and then there is an event or get together and I pick up a glass of wine. And then I'm back to drinking every night. It feels good to know I'm not alone.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:23 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Sage

D
Old 08-03-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks Jade! - I ment to say
Old 08-03-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks Dee!
Old 08-04-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey Guys,
My achievements since the first of Aug have been small yet incredibly significant to me.
I have been out of bed and dressed between 7.30 am and 9pm everyday.
Brushed my teeth every night before bed and changed into pyjamas.
Taken my anxiety/depression meds.
Cooked/eaten 3 meals a day.
Completed my farm work.
Spoken to my family at home in Ireland and told them where I'm at.
Been for a run and a bike ride.
Felt hyper, doing the wall of death in the living room, trying to distract myself after 5.05 because that has always been when I handed my day over to the booze.
Mood swings up and down are crazy but I'm on my own out here and the dogs dont mind.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go RestlessAnon

D
Old 08-04-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hello August I hope everybody was able to make it to the first weekend without too many issues.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

After several slips since joining SR in April, sign me up for the August class. One thing I have done a terrible job at is posting more often on this site. I need to do that in order to not have this AV crazy talk bottled up in my head.

No major consequences since my last slip, no major binges. I can string together a week here and there, and then I will have a drink. Really just sick and tired (of being sick and tired) and maintaining and feeding the AV beast inside.

Good luck to other newbies here in the class. I look forward to going on this journey with you all!!! And, I appreciate the insightful posts from those on SR who are living a quality life in sobriety.