Notices

Tough times

Old 07-31-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tough times

Hello Everybody - I have been sober for 31 days and I am having a hard time dealing. The first two weeks were awesome, I was motivated, felt good about sobriety and my mind was clearing up. the last two weeks have been tough, I have been dealing with cravings, I am unmotivated and my mind is a complete mess. I feel like I had more control when I was drunk than I do now. Have you all experienced this? If so how do you deal? Does it get better?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its important to stay busy. Perhaps a new hobby?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, things definitely go up and down, especially during early sobriety. It does get better assuming you are doing something other than just "not drinking". By that I mean working a sobriety program of some kind. Another thing to remember is that you may have underlying issues ( most of us do ) that we simply ignore by getting drunk. Those issues don't go away when we get sober, we are then responsible for dealing with them head on.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It definitely gets better, the body can't heal after years of alcohol in a matter of weeks, it's gonna take time, both physically, emotionally and mentally, everything needs to adjust to not having what your body has always had!!

I felt like doing nothing for a long time, went to work, came home, went to bed, then after a while, with a new found spring in my step, I decided to venture out and see what else life had to offer!!

Hang in there!!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah. The cravings come and go. I'm in the middle of a divorce and you can't imagine how badly I want to get bombed. Of course, my drinking was one of the reasons for the divorce in the first place. My life is nothing if not ironic.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Whether it's tough or not I can't afford to go back to drinking anyway.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The first 3 months were the hardest for me in terms of regular bad cravings, stress and feelings of depression. It does get better! I had a very nice up couple months from 4-6 months, then some lows again in the 6-8 month period. It's a roller coaster but it's so, so much easier and manageable than in the beginning. Please don't let your AV convince you it's going to be hard forever, it won't. People would never get sober if it sucked forever!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, roroswrld!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-31-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you found anything to do that is enjoyable? What kinds of things do you like doing? Maybe it's time to give something new a try.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love to golf and read. two of my favorite things. Yesterday was the first day after a long time that I was out on the course which was great feeling. The issue I am running into is I find myself getting very agitated with people around me. Which in turn is taking all the joy out of the things I love to do. arrrr just frustrated.

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Have you found anything to do that is enjoyable? What kinds of things do you like doing? Maybe it's time to give something new a try.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

100% understand. I kept a journal my first few months. The 1st 2 weeks, I thought, I have this. This is easy. I was simply glad to wake up w/o feeling sick. To actually sleep more than 2 hours. Energy was amazing. Then around day 15, I had zero motivation. I thought, well, everyone has low energy days. Then day 16, went on for a bit. So I went to on demand and pulled up the easiest workout video I could find, it was a bunch of people in their 70's walking in place. I did it, then did it again, thenext day... after about 10 days of this, I started coming out of it. CRAVINGS. They wax and wane. When they get really bad, I simply say, tomorrow...have a drink tomorrow. Well the real tomorrow Aug 1, will be my 2 year sober anniversary. I've less than 8 hours and I've made it.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi roroswrld.

I experienced the same thing. I was all over the place emotionally. I was very relieved to be sober, but still had resentment & anger about having to quit. I knew I had to, but it took a while for the feelings of joy and hope to return to my life. We lived that way a long time - we're making a huge adjustment. You will get there.

Congratulations on your 31 days - that's wonderful.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome roroswrld

Whats you're feeling is pretty normal - at least it was for me...but things settled down a lot after my first 30 days.

the important thing is to remember, this is normal - we drank for years (or at least I did, I assume you did too) it takes a little time for our minds and bodies to recuperate and find their default positions again.

there are some great craving tips here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D