Notices

Day one

Old 07-31-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

Today is Day One. I joined SR back in June and this is my first post. I have been so impressed with the support everyone gives. I need support. I'm so tired of drinking, and trying not to drink, and drinking. I'm exhausted. I hope that I can offer words of encouragement and also receive support from the group.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Swimkim. This site has been a big help for me in my struggle to stay sober. Day one is tough but soon enough you'll be on day 5 and starting to feel like your old self again.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today marks a day 4 for me . It's been tough but you need something to believe in to keep you motivated set some kind of goal for yourself keep busy. In my down time all I can think about is drinking. Feeling down on myself I think wow a few drinks will take me right out of this mood and I'll do this and that ya sure 18 beers later 4 hours of sleep getting ready for work with a massive hangover smelling like a brewery.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for welcoming me. I've been stuck in this cycle of feeling horrible, drinking to make those feelings go away, and then feeling guilty and ultimately drinking again. I'm trying to prepare myself for the fatigue and lack of motivation which I experience a few days after drinking. It is good to know I'm not alone.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No, you're not alone. I went through the cycle you mention for twenty three years.
I wasn't really living, except while at work, I was existing. Existing to drink and recover. The anxiety, fear and remorse were on me like a wet blanket.
It's been three and a half years sober for me now, and things couldn't be better.
I wish the same for you, and it is attainable. You'll find lots of support here, and you can offer it yourself. That's what makes this site so great.
Best to you.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, I am a newbie also and look forward to sharing and learning!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, Kim. I am glad you are here with us. Good luck on this difficult, but very very rewarding journey.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Ghostlight1;4812423]No, you're not alone. I went through the cycle you mention for twenty three years.
I wasn't really living, except while at work, I was existing. Existing to drink and recover. The anxiety, fear and remorse were on me like a wet blanket.

Welcome Kim, Ghostlight hit it right on from my experience. I spent 21 years in this cycle. The only difference is late in my alcoholism, I was drinking at work as well!

24 days ago i was where you are at now; day 1. Today is day 25 for me and all I can tell you is that it is SO worth the effort. The first 6 or 7 days were pure hell. It gets so much easier as long as you keep up your guard, have a plan and learn from your (and our) mistakes.

This can be the last time you feel this way.

This site has been a life saver for me. This is my only support group outside of my family.

Stay strong and you can do this!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Why not join the Class thread for the month you got sober? There's also the 24-Hour Connections thread, and a weekend thread is already started.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today started day 2 for me... you can do it!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome SwimKim12, you'll find lots of support and understanding here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Swimkim!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR, it's great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome SwimKim! I'm on day 12, feeling nervous about this weekend. Have experienced my ups and downs. But posting here (After being a lurker FOREVER) has made this more real and made me feel more accountable and committed, as well as supported. So you made a good move and you are not alone!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have never liked alcohol, but I have the same struggle with pills. I am 10 days clean, I have not even smoked pot or a cigg. You got this. They key is to don't have temptation around.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! I know how you feel! I only have 1 week but I am already starting to feel better!

Here are some of the things I have been doing that are helping: (in no particular order)
1. SR (this website) I have been posting a lot and getting great support and also reading other peoples posts.
2. AVRT (Addictive Voice Recognition Technique)
3. AA meetings
4. Urge Surfing (just Google it) You can also look it up on YouTube and they have a great 9 minute meditation that helps with cravings.
5. Making sure I eat 3 healthy meals per day (low fat, low sugar)
6. Avoiding caffeine and nicotine
7. Exercising (power walking or biking) 30-60 min per day. This makes me feel GREAT after I'm done! :-)
8. Drinking lots and LOTS of water
9. Taking naps if I need them
10. Getting at least 8 hours of sleep per night
11. Distraction (Netflix, taking kids to movie, walking dog, cooking a new recipe etc etc)
12. Praying
13. Calling or texting sober people
14. Trying to avoid stress, anxiety or anger (which are ALL big triggers for me).
15. Not making any big decisions right now
16. Not changing anything right now
17. Putting my sobriety first (if the house is a mess...it's a mess)
18. Made a list of bad consequences of my drinking
19. Made a list of goals that are only attainable if I stay sober and will make me happy (creating hope for myself)
20. Made a list of the reasons I want to quit drinking

I'm sure there are more but little by little I am doing these things. I really just trying to be gentle and kind to myself right now. I'm treating myself as if I am recovering from an "illness"....which I am.....it's called alcoholism. Best of luck.

We can do this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-31-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Kim! It's so good to have you with us. You found a wonderful place for encouragement.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Kim!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR SwimKim

I was exhausted too. I know you've made a great choice

D