Notices

7 weeks - dealing with increase in anxiety

Old 07-31-2014, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

7 weeks - dealing with increase in anxiety

I think it's due to the Zoloft my doctor just prescribed a week ago. At first, it seemed to be keeping me a bit more mellow - maybe a little nauseous but nothing terrible - but over the past day or so I feel so edgy and nervous it's hard to find motivation to do anything. I think I'm going to try stopping it for day or two as any anxiety I suffered prior to taking it was not as intense as what I feel now.

No temptation to drink. I remember that alcohol used to initially alleviate anxiety, but only intensified it many times over later. And then came the hell of trying to quit it. I don't ever want to go through that again! Still taking Antabuse about 3 times/week to keep it in my system in case that old temptation does rear it's ugly head again.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Be careful in stopping Zoloft. It's a powerful drug - I'd ask your doc for help in tapering.

With that said, I've quit SSRIs cold turkey after using for a week. They don't agree with me.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Be careful in stopping Zoloft. It's a powerful drug - I'd ask your doc for help in tapering.
I've only been taking it a week. Do you think it would make that much of a difference?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey buddy, I'm right there with you, just on Effexor I just posted about it this morning on Gilmer's Effexor thread.

Have you tried ADs before? Have your doctor talked with you in detail about what to expect? It's a very common initial effect of SSRI's (and also the SNRI I am on) that they increase anxiety initially. Many people experience this, especially if the meds were prescribed to you primarily to treat anxiety, which I believe is the case (same for me). Talk with your doc about this. If I were you, I would not stop this early unless the side effects are really intolerable. It takes time for these meds to work with our brain and body chemistry, few people get immediate relief from them.

And yeah, I also do not suggest stopping abruptly without consulting your doctor!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hey buddy, I'm right there with you, just on Effexor I just posted about it this morning on Gilmer's Effexor thread.

Have you tried ADs before? Have your doctor talked with you in detail about what to expect? It's a very common initial effect of SSRI's (and also the SNRI I am on) that they increase anxiety initially. Many people experience this, especially if the meds were prescribed to you primarily to treat anxiety, which I believe is the case (same for me). Talk with your doc about this. If I were you, I would not stop this early unless the side effects are really intolerable. It takes time for these meds to work with our brain and body chemistry, few people get immediate relief from them.

And yeah, I also do not suggest stopping abruptly without consulting your doctor!
Hi Haennie. The anxiety isn't totally debilitating just very distracting and uncomfortable. I feel like avoiding things and even people, but then I feel very alone and even more anxious. Yesterday, I had a major overreaction to a relatively minor problem that arose and it's left me feeling off balance ever since. I feel physically shaky and just...off.

My doc didn't really go into a lot of detail about what to expect from Zoloft except that any SSRI's have the potential to increase anxiety. Seems contradictory to even take them then! Also, I did once take Wellbutrin for a few months, but that was about 4 years ago. It didn't really seem to have any effect at all.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GetMeOut View Post
My doc didn't really go into a lot of detail about what to expect from Zoloft except that any SSRI's have the potential to increase anxiety. Seems contradictory to even take them then!
Well in many many cases these meds do help anxiety tremendously in the long run. This is well-documented in the scientific literature, and so is the initial increase in anxiety. As I said, it takes a while for these drugs to achieve stable/optimal effect, and usually it's longer than one week. Not sure what kind of doctor prescribed it for you, but do get back to them and ask questions. And if they seem incompetent, find someone who has specific training in psychopharmacology. They all should, but knowledge level varies and also how much they care.

I think I'm not supposed to get into this more deeply here, but again, a few days or a week is not very meaningful usually to judge how these types of meds are going to work for you. I would not skip doses now, that would just mess with your brain chemistry that has already been newly affected.

Can you maybe take a few days off work? I know it sucks... I am just on a business trip and would rather not have these side effects.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do NOT just quit. Talk to your doctor. I know when I started on Zoloft it took almost a month for me to be at the full dose - and even that first week, on 12.5 mg (half of a tiny pill), I had the shakes. But it evened out. It takes about 4 weeks for the SSRIs to get into your system and to actually see an effect... right now you are probably dealing with side effects. Talk to the doctor.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KAD

I have just called and left a message with my doctor. He started me out at 50mg and it may just be that I need to half the dosage, or he may even suggest increasing it. Who knows. I have to wait and see, I guess.

Haennie, to answer your questions, it's a general practice doctor who prescribed it but he seems to be knowledgeable about it and I do think he cares. I just did take 2 days off this week to be with my kids. Not altogether relaxing but at least it wasn't being at work! What bothers me most is just the feelings of being suffocated, like impending doom and there is no escape. That feels somewhat manic. I'll be sure to mention all that when I hear back from the doctor.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
KAD

On a more positive note, I recently had tests to see if I had done any damage to my liver and/or pancreas and all the numbers looked normal. My cholesterol is too high, but no apparent organ damage.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, you will see what he says then.

Haennie, to answer your questions, it's a general practice doctor who prescribed it but he seems to be knowledgeable about it and I do think he cares. I just did take 2 days off this week to be with my kids. Not altogether relaxing but at least it wasn't being at work! What bothers me most is just the feelings of being suffocated, like impending doom and there is no escape. That feels somewhat manic. I'll be sure to mention all that when I hear back from the doctor.
Well the first part does not sound bad I also don't have any fixed duty today on my trip but am trying to do some writing (not just on SR ) and walking.

I absolutely know what you mean by that manic, suffocating, impending doom feeling. That's what we are supposed to take the meds for I do not feel that way right now, more like being in a dream or in a bubble and everything around me seems a bit distant. Even when people talk to me, it's like there is an invisible wall between us. Interestingly, my thoughts are pretty organized right now, that wasn't the case two days ago. So maybe I'm getting somewhere, actually.

Great news on the test results, I'm glad to hear that! Hang in there
Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I absolutely know what you mean by that manic, suffocating, impending doom feeling. That's what we are supposed to take the meds for I do not feel that way right now, more like being in a dream or in a bubble and everything around me seems a bit distant. Even when people talk to me, it's like there is an invisible wall between us. Interestingly, my thoughts are pretty organized right now, that wasn't the case two days ago. So maybe I'm getting somewhere, actually.
I'll trade you. I'd much rather be in that detached little bubble than feeling so raw and shaky. It's actually a very similar feeling to the anxiety I experience during alcohol withdrawal, though not quite that intense.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'll trade you. I'd much rather be in that detached little bubble than feeling so raw and shaky. It's actually a very similar feeling to the anxiety I experience during alcohol withdrawal, though not quite that intense.
I agree, but wait with trading. My symptoms (or side effects) are all over the map, changing every day so far. Last night for me was also like what you described, and yes very much like alcohol withdrawal, overstimulation and I could not sleep at all.

Thank god these effects are not as intense as alcohol withdrawal... I still think about that every Monday morning, we have a meeting at 9 am at work. Now I go there usually in a pretty good mood and looking forward to the discussions. Then recall how it was hungover all those years... Sometimes I seriously don't know how I survived that, how I sat through it looking calm on the outside. How I did many presentations in that state as well. It was pretty much "I'm going to die here and now". But let's not talk banalities, we all are familiar with that madness, next topic
Old 07-31-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your sober time GetMeOut

D
Old 07-31-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

50mg is allot to start taking. I took that for years for anxiety. Don't just stop. Talk to your doctor. After sobriety my anxiety dropped to a manageable level. I sometimes think I drank so much to deal with the anxiety and in the end it made it worse. I don't take it anymore and I still have anxiety but it's nowhere near where it was while drinking. It takes sometimes a few months to see results. It helped me a lot. Just keep talking to your doctor.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey buddy...just want to know I'm thinkin' of ya and glad you're hangin' in there. I really have no input as far as anti anxiety med's.

Keep on keepin' on.