Notices

Back to Basics sober Weekender Thread Aug 1-3

Old 08-02-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

It's pouring with rain here in my part of Blighty, too, Tetra. Quite a shock after our recent heat wave, although like I said I really enjoyed running in the rain earlier.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Inchworm, good luck with the mushroom hunting. That sounds fun. And if you don't find any, you have still gotten out and gotten some fresh air.

Tornrealization, please tell us how the movie is. Maybe if it is kid friendly I will take mine.

Maybe some garden pruning is in order. Those nice orderly pots I planted in June are now overgrown and shaggy. One indistinguishable mess where there was some slight order. I'm watching the bumble bees going from flower to flower. I also have a random squash plant of some sort that I'm interesting in seeing what it is. I didn't plant it so it is a stray. it has blossoms so it should be soon that I will be able to tell. Gardens are a mystery! Until you sit still and look at them, clearly, you miss that they are always moving, always humming with activity. Sobriety lets me see that.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Tetra, I'd take your rain. Like Awholenewlife, I like walking in a warm rain. My garden needs it. I like sitting and listening to it.

My chatty daughter just woke up. I guess my quiet time is over.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Olive, I think you can still get tickets.
happyfree, if you are familiar with "Southpark", Matt Stone and Trey Parker created BoM. It is the same brand of humor - nothing is sacred to these guys. It kinda dissects the Mormon Ideal, and religion in general. In the end there is a strong message. Look it up, you have a while to look for it near you. I've been to about 30 Broadway shows over the years. First time I bought a t-shirt , Wife had to get the sound track and a book that includes the entire script. We're silly like that. I highly recommend it.

Good luck on job interview TETRA!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Sober Peeps!

Late check-in this morning even though I have been up for hours. Been busy paying bills, eating bacon and ripping some pine - in that order.

Rainy day here, but I have enough dry wood to stay busy for the rest of the day. Hope everyone is doing well!

Old 08-02-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Just saying hello to everyone...this is a wonderful thread and it's great to see so many people posting.

Mr. Charlee came home after being in England since July 15. Absence made the heart grow fonder and after 20 years of marriage, it's good to know that we both feel that way. I love the excitement of airports...people excited to go on trips and then lots of people waiting at the exit to greet loved ones coming home.

Days past with hubby being away meant drinking without worrying that he would notice how much wine I really consumed. No more of that for me. Never again.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the song from Florence and the Machine called "Shake It Out" but there's a part of the song that says "It's hard to dance with the devil on your back, so shake him off..." And I often think of that song when I think about recovery or when my AV starts talking. It helps me to picture shaking it off my back and moving forward. And dancing...

Rock on into Saturday!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Charlee - I also love the excitement of airports. The International terminals are my favorites, especially when I am waiting for my outbound flight. The people watching is fantastic.

Morning folks, just returned from the Saturday "Mercado" - a sea of people, fruits, and vegetables in the shadow of the mountains here in Antigua. It's a surreal experience really. Came home with an absolute HAUL of fruits and veggies, I will be in the kitchen today making all sorts of healthy concoctions!

On the walk home I saw a sobering reminder of why we're all here. As I approached my house, I saw a drunk stumbling along in front of me. He must have been trying to walk home to his village after getting very very drunk last night. He was about 50 years old, frail, and struggling badly, and fell down when I called to him. Cars whizzed past on the road. I helped him up, and sat him down in the shade. I patted him on the back, and told him to sit down for a while. A couple old ladies walked by and said "tsk tsk" and rolled their eyes. I didn't have much to give him, but I went inside and grabbed a small bottle of yogurt from my fridge - the "drinkable" kind. I went back outside and handed it to him, he drank it down and was very thankful. I left him there to rest in the shade on the side of the road. No lectures. No shaming. Just a small act of kindness was all I could offer.

There but for the grace of god, right?
Old 08-02-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

That's really kind, BigS. That act of kindness will come back to you.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

bigsombrero - really big
Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Very cool Big S!

Hey hey folks! Decided at the last minute to not take the boat but did a 7 mile walk around a few trails in town. Tired as heck.

Stopped at whole foods for some boneless short ribs. I am in a diet but cooking soothes me so one meal off plan won't hurt.

Hope to get another walk in later. I am trying for a 30K step day!

I have to catch up on the posts here... I usually read first then post but laying lazily with the cats I didn't.

Ken
Old 08-02-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Inchworm View Post
Greetings fellow Sober weekenders! My hiking buddy and I are headed up to the Greenhorn to find the lovely King Bolete mushroom. Or, maybe we won't find it. Who knows really what will happen?
Hey inchworm... Can you share what the mushroom is?
Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yes, they're hard to find:

Old 08-02-2014, 10:27 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Hope everyone is enjoying a sober Saturday! Saturday evening here in the UK and it's still pouring with rain, lol. There's something nice about it, though, I like sitting with the window open listening to it.

Bigsombrero, that was a really nice act of kindness. I think those of us who have had our own problems with addiction are some of the most compassionate and non-judgemental people out there. Like you say, we know it could be 'there but for the grace of God....'.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Charlee - I also love the excitement of airports. The International terminals are my favorites, especially when I am waiting for my outbound flight. The people watching is fantastic.
Charlee, I agree. I don't care much for waiting to leave. But I always get a warm feeling at the arrivals when I see people embrace, even if no-one is waiting for me. That feeling seems to radiate to all present.

Florence and the Machine? She opened for U2 a few years ago when I saw them in Lansing.

Good to see all are doing well this weekend. If I get a few spare hours I'll try to read through all the posts.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders, hope everyone is doing well!!

I was working this morning and then home to chill out and relax this afternoon!! Watched N.Ireland take 2 golds medals in the Commonwealth Games, which in context for us is a huge achievement!!

Currently have some chilli meatballs bubbling away, should be tasty later, green tea as always is flowing and I'm settling in for a relaxing evening!!

Keep it Sober!! Let's do this!!
Old 08-02-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday afternoon, Sober Weekenders!

Took my car to the shop for the next schedule maintenance. While it was there I thought I would get my steps by walking around the hood. I found a complex wide yard sale on my walk, so while I didn't get as many steps in that I had anticipated, I did come away with some cool art and a set of steak knives.

Got this postcard from Ruby yesterday at the POBox. Love it!!! She also found some old, old, old, old ones and sent those along!!! I will get good pictures of the old ones and post them later. They are supremely fabulous!

Thank you Ruby!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (30).JPG (42.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 08-02-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Today is a very unusual, cool rainy Saturday. I put on my rain boots and took Charlee for a walk. I even splashed through some puddles. Feels good to be alive.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Hey gang! Roasted short ribs and then braised.... Hint... Sub pomegranate juice for wine... Add a small bulb of fennel with the mirepoix. Holy Christmas! Yummmm!

Old 08-02-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Yay Ruby for the cool Chicago post card! Sure is beautiful, thanks to both of you for sharing!

Good to hear everyone's weekend is going well. Weasel my mouth is watering and stomach growling now. Looks unreal! A bit jealous to see the pics of the rain, Charlee looks happy in the cool and wet weather....

Just got back from a few hours in town. Met a couple nice young ladies who will be here for a couple months, hope I see them again soon. I also met an older American couple who lives here and work for a non-profit organization helping to get computers in the hands of small villages in the area. They asked if I'd be interested in helping them with some training - could be a fun and interesting side gig! I'm grateful for the wonderful opportunities I've had already in my short time here.

Home now, but I might have to go out for some tamales later! There is a cool tradition here in town - every Saturday, locals open up their homes and sell tamales. If they are "open for business" they will hang a red lantern outside. That's an invitation to knock on the door! I ran across this place on the way home, looks like the kitchen is open!

Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

bigS, moved to the red light district eh?

I agree, weasel is killing me with that photo, just came back from an afternoon party, all of the wonderful treats and I didn't have a one. stuck to my whole30 plan, when they were passing out shot glasses I just nodded no and that was it. toasted with my water and nobody even cared.

part came in for hot tub - new top controller I need to replace, I also need a new pump or have to rebuild it, didn't look into parts yet, maybe some rings is all it needs, it is starting to squeal like the dickens, soon it could seize... could be worth it just to get a new pump $ vs $$$. $ wins