Notices

already worrying abouth the weekend...

Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Your sobriety is all that counts, petals. It sounds like you made it through a challenging weekend, congratulations.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Petals, glad you told your husband. Even if there is little support coming from him the anxiety of keeping this secret is now over. You made this decision for you, to make you better. Ultimately he will benefit from your sobriety too, but this decision and effort is for you. Sounds selfish but in reality you have to fix you then the rest will fall into place.

Same situation at my house. My wife and I met while being heavy drinkers, dated while drinking and doing drugs at times, married and kept drinking for years. Dont get me wrong, we have a great relationship and we had a ton of fun together.

My drinking was always much worse than hers. I hid bottles, drank in the car before I got home from work, drank all of the time, every day for 21 years.

I finally decided to quit last year. Didn't tell her intil I had some sober time under my belt because I knew she didn't think I could do it and wouldn't really support me. Took me many tries before I made any progress but I finally did.

When I told her, she reacted just the way I thought she would. Not much support for the 9 months I was sober. I think she didn't want her drinking partner to quit on her.

I caved last year before the holidays because I listened to her and had just one drink. She didn't understand that one drink would turn into me returning to my old habits. Although in all fairness she didn't know how bad my old habits were. That's my fault because I never told her. How could she support me for a problem she didn't know the true extent of?

I spent 9 months attached to drinking again until this past april when I told her everythung. I drank all of the time and she didn't know that. Now I have her full support and I am at 29 days today.

She still drinks but I don't care. I am doing this for me. Everyone else will, and has benefited from my effort but I have to fix me first. When she wakes up hung over I just think a am so so so glad not to be that person anymore.

My kids have their dad hack too!! Do this for yourself and the rest will fall into place. Be upfront with your husband that you are not drinking and wether you get support or not, just dont drink.

Good luck and we are proud of you!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey Petals... Just checking in with you to see how your weekend went. I saw you on the weekender thread and was hoping you are doing ok.

Ken