Notices

How long did you have post-drug addiction cravings?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long did you have post-drug addiction cravings?

So SWIM was doing lots of mephedrone, GHB, mdma, alcohol and occasionally crystal meth and cocaine for 3 months. When he quit there weren't any obvious signs of withdrawal or cravings for these substances. I think SWIM's body was so weak when he quit cold turkey that it couldn't feel any cravings (some vitamins were so low they were almost undetected in his blood stream).

However he told me that certain events/things that he associated with drugs in those 3 months still bring back sudden powerful cravings. (He got addicted in the first place because he dated a drug addict and all they would do was take drugs and have sex.) He gets nervous, shaky, fast heart beat, he looks anxious and bewildered, and his mind starts to come up with excuses to do it. e.g. "It's just one time, it will just be a one time thing, for fun. Just take a little bit so I don't get addicted again." He fights these cravings off and doesn't relapse but is scared he might.

It reminds me of Carrie from Sex and the City who "quit smoking" but still carried one cigarette around in her purse at all times for "emergencies".

Actually I think SWIM isn't physically addicted to the drugs anymore (it was only 3 months and it was 4 months ago) but he did it so often with certain events that he has a strong psychological association with it, and it brings back the need to "feel so euphoric" from the drugs again.

For those of you who have quit from a drug addiction (not pot): how long did these strong cravings last for you? Do they go away? He's been clean for 4.5 months. These are events he can't avoid, unless he locks himself in his room away from life and everything permanently. Well, he CAN avoid them but that'd mean no dating, no sex, no relationship. Is it too soon to go "out there" again and live life? Any suggestions?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PS: Normally I would recommend gradually repeating the event that has a drug association slowly and little by little until the association goes away with the help of friends. This helped for SWIM with normal social contacts. He talked a bit with friends, went out to chat with the neighbor, then came along with doing groceries, etc.

But you can't exactly do that with dating. You can't go on fake dates and have fake sex until the association goes away. You either do it or you don't, and currently just the thought of it brings back a strong craving for drugs with SWIM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd recommend that SWYM see an addictions counselor, or perhaps a psychiatrist. If he's seeking psychological advice, getting it vicariously on an internet message board is probably not the best way to go about it.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Necro-post: SWIM got over it without seeking official help. Time heals and meeting the right guy who is supportive of your past behavior and helps you avoid repeating it. X
Old 01-10-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish I had easy answers for you but just keeping it real in my experience it takes lots of time and keeping as much distance as you can from triggers. From what you've posted I'm pretty sure we've been down the same road, and it very well may take a certain amount of isolation in terms of relationships, dating and sex. You're not dealing with an easy thing there at all.

It's been almost 2 years since I quit stimulants and on rare occasions I still get hit pretty hard. I'll go weeks or months without getting triggered and then an association sends me over the deep end. My heart starts to pound, I get nervous, and I'm overwhelmed with intense, burning desire while every nerve in my body is primed in anticipation of the rush.

There is plenty of hope though. My addiction was for close to 15 years. Some things that used to give me flash backs or trigger me no longer do. I thought they'd never go away, so I'm hoping the rest of my associations fade over time as well. Stimulant cravings are a grim business. Stay strong. Going back out is not an option. I've been a good ways down that road and there are only two ways out. You end it or it ends you.

Some of the particulars of these kinds of things may not be family friendly for the open forum, so if you have any questions or want to get in touch you are welcome to PM me.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

swim. lol. ******* that brings me back.
I get them 203 days later. I just cant afford to lose what I barely have, so I just walkthrough them. 5 minutes at a time, i still get scared of being sober a year. Sometimes its easy I dont know about someone who isnt you, but I need large quantities to get high so thats one of the first things I also think of when I get a craving.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things got better.

D
Old 01-10-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

They may never completely go away.
I've been off opiates for 1 year and 9 months and still get cravings from time to time. Also when I was young I had a different DOC and kicked that habit 20+ years ago but still get cravings,fortunately only once in a blue moon.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

it gets better with time