Notices

What do you replace alcohol with?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I am back for a third go-round at this not drinking thing.

My drink of choice is beer - especially craft beers like IPAs which are big on both alcohol and calories. I drink 2-4 beers a night, every night. I am tired of it. Tired of feeling tired, muddled, bloated every morning. I know it's not good for my health either.

So, what did/do you replace the drinking with? I have coffee in the morning and drink mostly just water and sometimes iced tea during the day. But what about evenings when I'm used to having that beer in my hand?

Thanks for any advice, here we go.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

clean refreshing water.

It will take time to figure it out. Just keep your tummy full of something and stay strong.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What I did was change my routine so I make a quick dinner as soon as I get home from work, or right after a five-minute nap to reset my head.

I also stocked up on diet ginger ale and root beer (not because of the beer and ale in the names -- I just happen to like those particular soft drinks). But generally I like strong iced tea in the evening.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Recovery is a learning process. To learn
ways using recovery tools and knowledge
first about addiction then learning ways
to avoid picking up poison that would and
could keep us from being healthy and happy.

If alcohol or other unhealthy items are
removed from the home, from our environment,
then we can't pick them up or reach for them.

My home is my safe haven from outside
temptations that would make me pick
up or buy poison. I made some changes
in the home to help me stay on track with
my recovery, using anything and everything
to achieve a healthy, happy ongoing journey
in recovery.

I use to be a stay up late kinda person
during my drinking career with a chilled
glass of red wine every night to unwhin
or reward for a long days work as a mom
and wife.

After going thru a 28 day inhab stay back
in 1990, I returned home where family had
already removed all the alcohol from the home
so that the temptation to drink was removed
while going thru changes in my own life.

I first pounced on coffee in the morning, at
all the many meeting I went to morning, noon
and evening. Before I knew it, I was consuming
too much caffeine which was causing me health
problems. Again, I needed to change and use
moderation and balance in what I drank or ate.

Too much of anything isn't good for me was
a big lesson I needed to learn and continue
to corperate in my life for 23 yrs. sober.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi. For me I went to many meetings, just about every night, and got active. Many need to find healthy outlets and away from alcohol by exercise, camping, sports without drinking afterwards and favorite hobbies are a start. We need to concentrate on not drinking AND KEEP IT SIMPLE.

BE WELL
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cougar!

I was a binge drinker and not a daily drinker so wasn't that big a deal for me. My biggest issue was camping and special event, cookouts and such. I always drank at those. What I've done is replace alcohol with craft root-beers! Still high calorie, but I throw back 2-3 verses 30 beer so in the long run , no foul : )

I will say that what I have replaced is the hangovers with peace and serenity and that's worth it all to me. This is a disease that needs to be treated like it and if we don't get the treatment we need then it doesn't matter what we replace with what, we'll drink again! I struggled for YEARS trying to quit on my own, replacing beer with vodka, weed with beer, speed for cocaine and moving all over the country trying to find a solution that would work. I had to admit AND accept that I had a disease and then get help.

Now I have almost 90 days clean and sober and I can enjoy craft root-beer and life with a new sense of peace and joy!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

A lot of tea and lemonade. Water. NA Beer. Bailey's creamer for my coffee. Tonic water or club soda with fresh limes.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with the root beer and ginger ale suggestions. Of course, changing what you are drinking is just the tip of the iceberg, as many here will tell you. But I did find that finding an interesting drink, with sugar, to replace the sugar that alcohol provided and that my body was craving, helped me through the evening hours.

Best of luck to you. I hope third time's a charm!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lots of water with lemon as well as different flavored seltzers. For me, it was also key for my sobriety to throw out my wine glasses and other drinking glasses that were associated with alcohol drinking. For me, these were all triggers. Great question!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I got a Gym membership, read a lot. Exercise makes a huge difference. I also eat when I first get home and spend time my pig (Don't get a pig).
Old 07-30-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cat Lady

Ultradad has a great suggestion about the craft root beers!! I was talking about them in another thread!

There are Goose Island Root Beers which are like nectar from the gods. Yes... Lots of sugar but very yummy. Made by the Chicago beer company but absolutely no alcohol. They're even in these snazzy glass bottles!

They do tend to be a bit expensive, but on another thread someone mentioned they bought a 24 pack for $11 at Costco!! They usually come in 4 packs at the grocery stores.

For me though, nothing could replace the taste of wine. But I also just drank wine to get drunk an I wasn't in love with the taste, just felt like it was the best option.

I'm very fond of diet snapple Arnold palmers, Arizona ice teas. I also have become quite fond of Starbucks Energy drinks. Their hazelnut flavor is delicious!

Just my two cents! :-)
Old 07-30-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oooh, ooh, my favorite question! I LOVE my new non-alcoholic drinks now. I drink a lot of sparkling water and sparkling water with splashes of different juices or fruits, started drinking root beer and soda as a special treat or when I have a strong craving, and also indulge in ice cream floats. You can give non-alcoholic beer a try, it has worked for some who like the taste but some find it a trigger. I once bought non-alcoholic wine and it was DREADFUL! Vinegar in a bottle, do NOT recommend.

I also find these links useful:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...k-instead.html

Non-alcoholic recipes: 700+ appetizing drink recipes.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Appears like your question is alternate beverages for beer, if I read that correctly. I picked up some diet ginger ale and Fresca. Both have a kind of bite if you will and taste great!

One of my issues(of many) is guzzling liquids - still do, always have - be it liquor, beer, water etc.
So now instead of guzzling RUM I guzzle diet soda. I know that's not great for you, but one step and one day at a time!!

ps - now that I wrote guzzle several times I feel gross.......

peace
Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There are many beverages you can drink instead of beer. My challenge was finding a replacement for what alcohol did. All the soda, tea, seltzer water in the world wasn't going to keep me sober till I filled the void that quitting alcohol left.

I hope you find a mental replacement for alcohol.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I replaced it with a drink, mine was exercise
Old 07-30-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Cookies. Good ones. I'm gaining weight, but I'm not drinking.

I also walk a lot. Spied a classic car on my walk this morning. That was a thrill!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I highly recommend following the advice of Special Agent Dale Cooper when it comes to replacing alcohol in your life:

"Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret: every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it; don't wait for it; just let it happen. It could be a new shirt in a men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot, black, coffee."

Be nice to yourself. Drink whatever makes you feel good that isn't going to ruin your life or your health. Enjoy sobriety.

PS
For a specific recommendation for a non-alcoholic beverage, you can't go wrong with San Pellegrino. I'm a fiend for that stuff.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post

There are many beverages you can drink instead of beer. My challenge was finding a replacement for what alcohol did. All the soda, tea, seltzer water in the world wasn't going to keep me sober till I filled the void that quitting alcohol left.

I hope you find a mental replacement for alcohol.
Very important! May I ask what is your mental replacement?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Soda water with lime and lots of it. Actually I brought a case of soda water to a party last week and one of my friends commented that I drank them like beers! (all the empties lined up) Also, now that I am not drunk all of the time I get to do whatever I want now. No longer planning around alcohol frees up a lot of space to be creative. I think it takes a bit of time. It took some time to adjust. I found the first 6 months of sobriety was packed with trying to cope and transition. Now I replace alcohol mainly with painting (that's what I do other than housewifing it) and am planning to do a show. It feels nice to be in the land of the living again.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

During the day all i drink is coffee and a lot of ice water. And in the evenings I've been craving anything cold. Cranberry juice, lemonade, popsicles, ice cream etc. It's more calories than I'd like to be consuming but at least it's not alcohol!