Notices

Chasing that high

Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chasing that high

This go-round with recovery has me trying a new coping technique - running. I must say it's been an unbelievable tool. Not only does it clear my mind of anxiety & cravings, it leaves me with the most incredible, powerful feeling. The rush of endorphins I feel right after a run (& for hours after) is better than any high any drink or smoke ever gave me. I can't get enough. An added bonus has been the weight loss (lack of booze + exercise is an amazing diet plan).

Unfortunately, my body began giving me signals that something isn't right in that my hips have started to become very sore. Then I realized that I have run for 8 days straight.

Tonight I decided to take a break & just walk my 3 miles instead. Surprisingly it took everything in me not to run - the desire to do so rivaled an alcohol craving. I resisted though telling myself that if I didn't give my body a rest from running tonight I might damage it & possibly not be able to run at all. So I continued to just walk. And afterward I felt such a let-down. Yes I felt cleansed and anxiety-free, but nothing like that post-run high.

So I started to wonder. Since I obviously have an addictive personality will I constantly be chasing some sort of high? And even though exercise is better than drinking am I simply trading addictions & not getting to the heart of the matter?

I'm on day 9 of this particular crack at sobriety so I get that's it's still new but it's not my first dance with recovery. I know the ropes. I figure I'll eventually settle into a routine and find some balance but I'm interested in what you all think.

Looking for ESH, please.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

I think it's common to replace one addiction with another. Until the roots of addiction are addressed it's hard to say if you are running to or from or for what or why...

It's good that you walked. Listen to your body. Just don't drink.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeartsAfire View Post
And even though exercise is better than drinking am I simply trading addictions & not getting to the heart of the matter?
if you are addicted to running now I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist about it as the British say...

you could always start training for marathons as a goal...
Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Exercise has been a big help to me, as well. In fact, when I was at about 1 year sober I was running so often that I decided to train for a marathon.

I followed a training schedule for ten weeks or so. Everything was going great... And then I started getting some serious foot pain, and I had to shut it down for a while. I was very disappointed.

So I truly get where you're coming from. I would suggest that you try to integrate other types of exercise into your routine. Swimming, biking, and lifting can be as aerobically intense as running, and would give your body a break from the repetitive stress of running all out every day.

Also, watch out for the trap that exercising is "keeping" you from drinking. There are lots of reasons, physical and otherwise, that may keep you from exercising. What if you take a trip somewhere? Get wrapped up in a project at work? You don't want to suddenly be without your main defense.

Exercise should be one aspect of your balanced approach to your post-drinking life. Think of it as a reward of sobriety, not the condition of it!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have often wondered this myself, but I guess what zero said is true, the root must be addressed and dealt with.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so jealous!!!! I really don't feel fit enough to start exercise which is really annoying as I pay for the gym!!!! Maybe I'll start with walking & see how it goes.. Good post!!
Old 07-30-2014, 01:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stand and Be True

Exercise has become massively important to me in recovery also, I love that natural high. It's possible you (and I) are trading one addiction for another, but right now the way I see it is that we'll get a whole lot more accomplished, be in much better health and make less crazy decisions with this "addiction" rather than drinking or drugging. I can't imagine going for a run ever leading to me getting behind the wheel of a car drunk.

As for your pain, I'd suggest trying out other exercises and switching them up so you are not doing the same thing every day. You'll find other things you enjoy that give you the same feeling and remember it is normal and healthy anyway to take days off to recover.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I lived trying to chase highs for a long time. I found myself chasing highs, getting those highs, crashing, sunk in depression until I had the energy to chase those highs again. I lived life at a 1-2 out of 10 or a 9-10 out of 10. Sometimes, I dipped into the negatives or over 11 and those times either nearly killed me or made me truly wish I was dead. I find chasing highs to be exhausting. I think living in the high middle is an excellent goal. For me, I try to live peacefully, not running towards anything. No longer chasing highs nor running from lows. I have found that by living a life in acceptance, I can be at peace in most situations.