Notices

Believe in Karma?

Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Kamma-Vipaka is far removed from the popular use of the word karma. The cause/effect connection your wife is alluding to is more akin to Lennon's "instant karma" or a god "smiting" (both of which are coincidental bs). DUI's are a direct result of driving drunk--nothing magical about it (I've had a few so this has been my personal experience).
Old 07-30-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DisplacedGRITS View Post
I believe that i create and influence the emotional energy around me. Over the past 4 months, i have discovered that i am in control of my emotions. Complete control. I no longer have to react to other people's emotional influence. Instead, i create peace, serenity and happiness in the world around me. I do this by living in that same peace, serenity and happiness. When confronted with negative emotions, i now get to decide on how i will let those emotions influence my soul. I have had moments of anger and frustration but they have been few and fleeting. I no longer have to give myself and my serenity over to negativity. Instead, i see how this negativity is something that exists only if i allow it to and i let it go. And it freaking goes away!!!!
amazing words DG, thank you.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I agree with reisingwood. Popular use of the word karma implies a sort of payback, which is not completely accurate.

According to the Buddha's teaching, you are not made to pay for past mistakes, nor are you rewarded for your past good deeds — but you are, in fact, what you do or intend to do. More to the point, karma is the process by which your actions shape your life.
Since the Buddha did not acknowledge the presence of a theistic power, karma would not be associated with an external, objective judge. In the words of Shantideva (an eighth-century Buddhist teacher), “Suffering is a consequence of one's own action, not a retribution inflicted by an external power…We are the authors of our own destiny; and being the authors, we are ultimately…free.”
So the good news is, you can turn this around.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

karma is nothing more then action - reaction

abusing alcohol, drugs, whatever creates load of negative karma.

It's like playing a game of chess and randomly move your peaces making you very vulnerable to all sorts of attacks
Old 07-30-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I may not believe in karma, but I know this much: if you continue to drink, bad events and consequences will continue to surround your life. If you stop drinking, everything will not be perfect but all of the bad events and outcomes related to drinking will come to an abrupt end.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
if you continue to drink, bad events and consequences will continue to surround your life. If you stop drinking, everything will not be perfect but all of the bad events and outcomes related to drinking will come to an abrupt end.
I think I just heard the Buddha say, "Fo shizzle!"
Old 07-30-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good luck on the job interviews!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
IMO, getting a DUI for drinking and driving is a consequence of your actions...not karma. Know what I mean?

If I get arrested for shooting my neighbor's dog is that bad karma? If you drank and drove a hundred times and never got caught but then your child was hit and killed by a drunk driver...I'm thinking that is more like karma...no?
What she said.

(Why did you shoot your neighbors dog, Nuu? )
Old 07-30-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by getright15 View Post
I've been reading a lot on here that "Life doesn't give us more than we can handle" or "God doesnt give us more than we can handle" depending on what you believe in I guess.

Hmmm, been thinking about that. If that is really the case....why?
No offense to believers, but if God doesn't give us more than we can handle, then why do we need God?

Like Dee, I imagine that The Creator is busy doing other things than seeing that I don't get more than I can handle. For me, personal responsibility means taking care of myself by using all available resources, including other people.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I do absolutely believe in cause-effect, actions-consequences - the idea of applying the concept of Karma to our lives and behavior. It's also how I like to think about and handle all sorts of ethical questions and moral dilemmas. I don't believe that everything happens for a reason, though, or that we are "given" just the amount of challenges that we can handle. Just a simple and relevant example, if the latter were true, why do we need a forum like SR or any recovery method to help us handle addictions and still so few get over it?

I do also believe that we have the capacity to use suffering as a fertilizer and transform our experiences, we just don't always do this.

I think you are free to choose to use the DUI in a constructive way, the way you described in the OP. If you do remain sober and turn over your life, then the DUI will have a meaning in your existence and struggles as an important event in the chain. But I believe it's always up to us to create these kinds of meaningful experiences.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I do absolutely believe in cause-effect, actions-consequences - the idea of applying the concept of Karma to our lives and behavior. It's also how I like to think about and handle all sorts of ethical questions and moral dilemmas. I don't believe that everything happens for a reason, though, or that we are "given" just the amount of challenges that we can handle. Just a simple and relevant example, if the latter were true, why do we need a forum like SR or any recovery method to help us handle addictions and still so few get over it?

I do also believe that we have the capacity to use suffering as a fertilizer and transform our experiences, we just don't always do this.

I think you are free to choose to use the DUI in a constructive way, the way you described in the OP. If you do remain sober and turn over your life, then the DUI will have a meaning in your existence and struggles as an important event in the chain. But I believe it's always up to us to create these kinds of meaningful experiences.
I can't disagree with anything you said. I do plan on using this DUI as an eye opener for sure. I don't have court for another 3 month so I'll let my soon to be lawyer handle it. Ha, maybe some good karma will come my way if it gets reduced or dropped considering the circumstances of it all. I will take it one day at a time. Being sober though does make you feel everything though thats for sure. Can't be numb to like, gotta deal with it! Nobody said it was going to be easy right?
Old 07-30-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
EndGame

I can't disagree with anything you said. I do plan on using this DUI as an eye opener for sure. I don't have court for another 3 month so I'll let my soon to be lawyer handle it. Ha, maybe some good karma will come my way if it gets reduced or dropped considering the circumstances of it all. I will take it one day at a time. Being sober though does make you feel everything though thats for sure. Can't be numb to like, gotta deal with it! Nobody said it was going to be easy right?
Good opportunity here.

Make a commitment to not drink, get involved in a program or treatment that can document your attendance and your continuous sobriety, and show up in court with three months of sobriety under your belt. Not only good for your case, but good for you. Win-win.

You can now balance your karma account. Don't throw away this opportunity, no matter what it's origin.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Good opportunity here.

Make a commitment to not drink, get involved in a program or treatment that can document your attendance and your continuous sobriety, and show up in court with three months of sobriety under your belt. Not only good for your case, but good for you. Win-win.

You can now balance your karma account. Don't throw away this opportunity, no matter what it's origin.
I didn't know you could do that as far as attendance at those places unless it was court appointed. How do I go about documenting that stuff and the judge believing it?
Old 07-31-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi again, getright. Unfortunately I can't help you with any wise advice on legal issues, but other people might. There are many SR members who had DUIs. Maybe post a separate thread with a title that point out your question, and you might get some ideas on how you could use sobriety and treatments to support your case?
Best of luck with the fight!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Ha, maybe some good karma will come my way if it gets reduced or dropped considering the circumstances of it all.
For me, I had to get really honest with myself. I stopped fooling myself about the true motives of my actions. This has helped tremendously. I don't get sober because my hope that by doing so will result in positive Karma. Althoguh I did at first and this is okay if it helps. But I recognize that comments like the above set me up for failure. Because the first time something bad happens I have made it easy to relapse because things did not go my way.

Hope this might help...your DUI was a blessing. The positive Karma is not the verdict but the fact you did not kill anyone. Check out the show OZ. See what life is like when your drunk and kill someone. Count you blessings and take the verdict for what it is, a consequence of your actions that hopefully inspires you to change your behavior.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I don't know about karma, but several people told me that losing my job was karma. It happened for a reason. We'll see...
Old 07-31-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Look at an official attendance sheet. Copy the format in columns(meeting, time/date, chair signature). Attend meetings and have it signed. Give to lawyer/judge. Voluntary attendance sheets are accepted in these parts and make a statement. Who knows?--some of it may stick and you could be judge/lawyer- free for the rest of your life. Best wishes.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi again, getright. Unfortunately I can't help you with any wise advice on legal issues, but other people might. There are many SR members who had DUIs. Maybe post a separate thread with a title that point out your question, and you might get some ideas on how you could use sobriety and treatments to support your case?
Best of luck with the fight!
Thanks!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I don't believe in karma. Some of the things I've known and seen...no way. Unspeakable pain and suffering of animals and people.

I do believe in doing my best every day and living clean and sober. I put my good energy out into the universe with no expectation.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
EndGame

I didn't know you could do that as far as attendance at those places unless it was court appointed. How do I go about documenting that stuff and the judge believing it?
Outpatient treatment facilities for alcoholism and other addictions typically have longstanding relationships with the criminal justice system. Schedule an intake appointment, explain your situation and they'll immediately know what to offer you. They'll document both your attendance in treatment and the results of your URIs.

Judges in such cases tend to rule favorably for defendants who show initiative by entering treatment without a court mandate. There are worse things in life than learning about alcoholism and staying sober for three months.