Notices

young alcohol lover

Old 07-29-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink young alcohol lover

hi i am 20 and i deal with depression and anxiety. I love alcohol. It helps me with depression and anxiety and also boredom. I am new to this site hoping to meet others like me.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you here!!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thankyou!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR I used to think it helped me too but since quitting alcohol my depression has disappeared and my anxiety is much improved
Old 07-29-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to drink to medicate my depression and anxiety too. Problem was, it didn't help, just made things worse. Now that I'm sober my meds are working as they should and my emotional issues are bearable.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I, too, had a love affair with alcohol at your age. And for twenty one more years.
I used it to mask my anxiety and social phobia. To party, to be like everyone else.
It wasn't long before I became an every day drinker and alcohol became my crutch.
In my twenties it was fun. In my thirties it became an addiction. I didn't do most anything without a drink. Things that didn't involve alcohol I wasn't interested in.
Soon I crossed that thin line into alcoholism. And it became my life. I was either drunk or hungover. I had lost control.
I was like you at your age. And I had a lot of fun.
In the end I was a pitiful drunk.
This is just what happened to me. Alcoholism can be progressive, and in my case , it was.
If you love it and can drink in moderation or go for days without it have fun.
Things ceased being fun for me. I was a slave to king alcohol.
I don't know if you can relate to any of this, but there is danger in drinking too much for too long.
Have fun while you can, and best to you.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i too am hoping that giving up the wine will help me cope with my depression etc....
Old 07-29-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi youngac, You show a lot of maturity and self-awareness for someone so young! Good for you! If you can tell now that alcohol is a problem, it will only get worse. When I look back on my twenties, there were plenty of people who did not drink a lot if at all (I was sometimes that person, sometimes not). It is a matter of keeping your eyes open for kindred spirits. How wonderful that you can build your life now from a healthy and aware foundation…good luck to you!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also thought it helped with anxiety. It really doesn't. I would read that alcohol makes anxiety worse and I didn't believe it. Once you quit, life becomes really calm but you have to quit for awhile. I mean I didn't feel calm until this week and I'm on Day 18.

When I first quit, my anxiety got worse. That is what usually brought me back to drinking. A vicious circle. Now I just feel, you know what? things can wait.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It helped me with my anxiety unless I wasn't drinking. In the end, I would be drunk and not anxious but severely depressed or not drunk and extremely anxious and mildly depressed. Fast forward and now I'm no longer deeply depressed and I think the anxiety I get is about what "normal" people get. It takes some time but you will start to feel better.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Younggal. You mention that you love alcohol and it helps you deal. Are there bad things that go along with it for you too?