Notices

30 and never had a real job

Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Volunteering helped get some good skills on my CV.

Also, I had friends who had home businesses that I asked if they needed help with. i.e. I cleaned an apartment, I did filing for a friend who was a professional. These all led to great references and I got a temp job. Because I did long hours in the temp job, sought out extra work and took the last minute shifts that no one else wanted, within a year I got head hunted by a client and was working in my dream job. Probably one of the best I've had in my career.

All that from doing some crap filing and cleaning an apartment and helping with some fundraising. People saw I was ready to do something for nothing, with a good attitude and no expectations.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for that cracked article

Great article

Yea I'm trying to use my sobriety as strength, staying sober is the hardest thing I've ever done, you'd think the hardest part of quitting would be the first month when you're withdrawing with panic attacks, shaking, and sweating through your bed sheets every night, the hardest part I've found though was when I hit 9 months sober, when my head finally cleared and I realized all the responsibilities in life and knowing I didn't have alcohol to fall back on, and I got that little voice in my head saying "you're a year sober, you might not have a problem after all, try just having a couple beers"...I know it's just my addiction talking, it's still annoying though
Old 07-28-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great thread Citrus (and yes, LOVED that Cracked article as well). I am over a decade ahead of you in years..ya well over actually.... and hell's bells I am FINALLY just starting focusing on making my life "less of a mess". And it's good. Better late than never. Lots of good advice here. You are blossoming...gotta sprout out of the dirt first right?