Notices

Functional Alcoholic Seeks a Change

Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome GreenPepper I think most of us felt we were high functioning...but honestly, compared to how I function now sober, I wasn't really functioning at all. I hope you'll give things a lot of thought during your sober time - why not go a month or so and see how that goes? D
I agree with Dee. Try 30 days. That will give you much more insight! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-28-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GreenPepper View Post
Hi All,

I'm 27 years old and an IT professional. I am in the process of selling my first business to a larger firm, and have a promising future as a partner in the new firm. I have managed to do all this while still heavily drinking.

I started drinking when I was 18 or so. By 19 and 20 I was drinking almost every day. At that age, it doesn't really affect you the same as it does now. Fast forward another 7 years and here I am. My problem is that I am noticing stuff start to slip. I find my hangovers are paired with anxiety and sweating etc., so I sometimes reschedule meetings and stuff doesn't get done. None of this has really bit me in the ass yet.

I ran some numbers today. I am spending about $39,000 a year on bars, restaurants, and alcohol purchases which is completely insane. I also calculated that I am losing about 6 months per year being hungover or drinking. Also insane. I need to make a change.

I've been through therapy, and I know where this comes from. I drink out of boredom and wanting to be social. I am a regular at at least 6 bars where I know all the staff and they make me feel good. I the problem here is 2 fold. Almost every one of my friendships is a bar staff, and secondly, once I have 2 or 3, it's difficult to cut myself off. I like to go to the next bar and the next bar until I've had my fill of social time.

I don't want to quit completely, but I have committed to staying sober for the next 4 nights (until Friday) in order to clear my mind and make a plan. I am off to a good start tonight as I have planned various non-bar activities until bed time. I am going to make sure I have a plan for every night this week and this weekend.

If I can live by the ground rule that "I never drink alone"...that includes going to a bar by myself, then I think I just might have a chance. I also know that I need to join some clubs and make some friends that either don't drink, or just do it once in a while.

Thanks for hearing my story,
GreenPepper
The most important word in this story is "yet".

Hope to see you around.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonymblue View Post
Welcome to the forum. Glad youre addressing your problem. It gets worse as you get older. I was never able to moderate. One drink was flicking a switch to on. It was all or nothing. Abstinence is my only solution.
Yes it does and I'm only about 10 years older. Be careful. If you are truly an alcoholic....it will wait and wait and be very patient. It will lie to you until it finally gets you where it wants you and then BANG....it will suddenly rule your life. You will become a slave to it. It will take everything from you and won't stop until it takes your life. If you ARE an alcoholic and keep drinking this will happen. If you ARE an alcoholic and you keep drinking you are walking straight into hell. Get out while you can!!!

Sorry to be so blunt but I have lost male and female friends in their 20's, 30's and 40's to this F-ing disease and it has almost killed me several times. It's nothing to mess around with.

I wish you the best of luck. There's a reason you came to this site. Normal drinkers don't try to moderate their drinking. Normal drinkers don't even think about it. Try the 30 days. Do lots of thinking. I just don't want you or anyone to suffer as I have.

Prayers....

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum GreenPepper!! It's great to have you here!!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey GreenPepper!
Excellent post!
You are a very successful young person.
I wish I could be 27 again and have the sense
that you have to realize the problem. Time has
a funny trait of going by faster as you age.
I fully understand the $$$$$$ wasted, the time
wasted, the brainpower wasted, all from alcohol.
Congratulations on addressing your issue!
I can't tell you what to do, but moderation
never worked for me. Hang in there!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Functional is not the type of alcoholism but merely a stage. Please bear in mind that alcoholism is progressive and very sneaky.

I have tried to moderate for many years. At times it was successful, and I was able to take months-long breaks, and even drink socially, but overall the process was exhausting. Ultimately I ended up binging.

I wish you well, please be mindful!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
Functional is not the type of alcoholism but merely a stage. Please bear in mind that alcoholism is progressive and very sneaky.

I have tried to moderate for many years. At times it was successful, and I was able to take months-long breaks, and even drink socially, but overall the process was exhausting. Ultimately I ended up binging.

I wish you well, please be mindful!
Melki, I absolutely agree. Everyone is for at a time a "functional" alcoholic.