Notices

AA/NA help for someone who is not religious

Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

knowledge is my higher power
Old 08-07-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I've been paying attention to this topic, and the last number of AA meetings I have attended, the word god has been uttered exactly six times in an hour. Four times in reading the steps. 2 more, at the beginning and end of the meeting, as the first word of the serenity prayer.

The rest have been practical applications of steps and ways to live sober.
As an atheist I am more than willing to hear the word god said aloud six times to get an hour of helpful, uplifting, and deeply touching experiences.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
I've been paying attention to this topic, and the last number of AA meetings I have attended, the word god has been uttered exactly six times in an hour. Four times in reading the steps. 2 more, at the beginning and end of the meeting, as the first word of the serenity prayer.

The rest have been practical applications of steps and ways to live sober.
As an atheist I am more than willing to hear the word god said aloud six times to get an hour of helpful, uplifting, and deeply touching experiences.
Man I wish the AA group here was like that. Its god non stop from them. That's probably why I've all but decided to stop going to AA and focus on NA at this point. I really really like what they got going on there.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

You can have logic. That's fine, I am a universe kinda person. Try different meetings out too. Some meetings have different tones to them regarding that stuff.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tamerua View Post
You can have logic. That's fine, I am a universe kinda person. Try different meetings out too. Some meetings have different tones to them regarding that stuff.
My problem is I live in rural VA and to get to other meetings were looking at an hour and a half to two hours round trip to get to some other meetings. Also one of my biggest triggers is driving so the less I can do of that at this point of recovery the better.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustEric View Post
Man I wish the AA group here was like that. Its god non stop from them.
It's that way around here too. And no matter what you say, the responses are usually, Did you pray to god about it. Not kidding.