Notices

So much SHAME and embarrassment! :-(

Old 07-28-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notmyrealname View Post
The phrase "one of my tabs" implies to me that you had more than one, so maybe you paid one and then ordered more drinks? (I have done this) Then maybe you thought that you had paid your tab, from earlier, and didn't remember ordering the last few rounds? Just a thought. Who knows? You know, on the embarrassment thing, there's not much you can do, what's done is done, you do the crime and you do the time; consequences follow actions. Maybe try to use this as added motivation down the line to stay sober, at least then it's a positive event. I know part of why I got sober and (finally) stayed sober was due to an event I found deeply embarrassing during last May, and that helped me solidify my resolve to give sobriety another go.
Yes that's what happened. I paid my large tab and then ordered one more shot. Ugh. I hate alcohol!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
totfit

It is likely that you will never hear anything else about this, nor will your son be affected by this "one" incident in any way. Even if some word got out, it would likely have little affect over the long haul anyway. What does have an effect is a long term pattern of "stuff". If you are like me, then this is just one of many incidents to come if you continue. Forgive yourself for this. It is really likely a much bigger deal to you than anyone else. Take it, learn from it and understand that it could happen anytime you drink. Then make a decision what you want to do over the long haul. After a while you just might look back and hopefully think, "Hey, I am glad that happened. I learned from it before a bunch of other stuff happened". Could be the incident that changes everything for the better................or just one of others to come.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The only thing you can do if you think people will talk, is behave beautifully from this day forward. SO let them talk. But if what they see is a sober, well behaved person, you are proving them wrong eveyr time. I dont know if its good or not, but when I have a memory, that I'd rather not have..I knock it right out of my head, why should I dwell on the uncomfortable? HEY, even non drunks have memories they don't like....I would never throw it in their faces...
Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile I SO feel your pain

I'm new here. This is my first post, and to encounter this as my very first post is amazing to me because you remind me of me.

Serenidad, I feel for you so much. I've been in your shoes. So recently. I'm only 8 months sober, and it's been such a rollercoaster. The things I did while drinking I can barely allow myself to think about, or I WILL pick up a bottle again. I'm allowing myself to let it in a little at a time, because of course we DO need to know what we've done, as it can reinforce our desire to stay sober, but not so much that it will make ourselves feel worse and want to take up drinking again. But the shame. The God awful shame. I've been there, and if I met you, I would wrap my arms around you and tell you it's going to be okay. Please hang in there. Know that there are many on here, like myself, who have been there. You are certainly not alone. And if YOU're a loser, than there are a heck of lot of others out there! I kid you, because I know you're not a loser, nor am I. We are just people who want to feel good, and drinking did that. For a while. That's the "evil" if you will, of drinking. It's all very innocent at first. It's just social, you start off not needing a lot, but before you know it, you're on the slippery slope downward and by then it feels almost impossible to stop sliding. DON'T let your shame make you spiral back down. You're obviously a good person. Keep your chin up. Come on here, with the rest of us, and we'll take it one step and a time.

Hugs,
Pairs
Old 07-28-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

possibly a God sent warning ???

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

What if MY actions hurt my son?
Question is are you an alcoholic

Has liquor ceased to be a luxury
And
Now became a necessity ???

If so the best part of all this may be
A God sent wake up call for you

If alcoholic and you continue to drink
This event will be next to nothing
Compared to what's ahead down the road

Mountainmanbob
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Serenidad,

AA will give you the spiritual tools to deal with the messes we created. It just takes time to work through. Everyday we don't drink is making living amends to yourself and family.

Hang in there - just don't drink and don't worry about the coach talking to the coach about the blah, blah, blah. Give yourself a break and just don't drink today!!!

peace
Old 07-28-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Serinidad, I feel your pain so much in your post. The past is the past and moving forward you don't have to be that girl again. I know alcohol causes all my morals and boundaries to go out the window. Flashbacks of my behavior bring so much embarrassment. Your not in this alone. Great choice not letting this cause you to pick up a drink!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sorry that you're in that "ugh..oh no!" place. It's never fun. I wouldn't concern myself too much over the any "information leak" adversely affecting your son. What sort of educator would hold the the issues of the parent over the son? I worked in a school systems many years ago, in a teeny tiny town, as a "special needs assistant". As it was a small town, I was privy to the going's on and issues of many a parent. With that knowledge, I think I probably gave special attention and compassion to children of "difficult circumstance". I would not fret about that one little iota. Not at all.

Hopefully, a part of you can hold this "shame" somewhat dear. Put it in a special place to retrieve when a drink sounds like a good idea...or your old AV is telling you "it's not a problem" or "you will just have one".

I doubt there is not one person on this board who doesn't have hideous booze addled war stories that make us want to crawl under a boulder upon reflection.

But you are crawling out from under the burden of active addiction. Your son will be much more adversely affected by your active addiction than any idle gossip of yesterday. Eyes forward. To borrow from some military slogan...

"Be all that you can be!".
Old 07-28-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to be that guy in my neighbourhood serenidad - unwashed wild hair, hadn't showered, stumbling around...

If my reputation can come back from that (and it has) yours can too.

Focus on who you are, not who you were

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-29-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just had to say I can relate to having a severe case of the "what ifs"!!!
Hate what you did, but you can't hate yourself, that will lead you back to booze. Your acquaintance that works in a bar has probably seen many folks over do it - you can't control what he says and you should try to put it out of your mind.
I too get nasty flashbacks - some so real I can feel the shame burning up my face - I just let it go and it passes. And I try to remember that those days are OVER!! I am a different person now that doesn't behave in that way any more - and I have so many blessings to count because of my new way of life. So keep your head up and keep moving forward!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I like nuudawns suggestion too - put it away somewhere to harness when needed. Put it in its place!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I really don't know what to say. I am so grateful for all of you. I just read through each and every one of your comments and they were amazing! I am going to be sure to re-read them often. Thank you SO much!

After my post I exercised for an hour and then went to an AA meeting. The topics really helped. I think it's safe to say, with the help of all of you, that I will go to bed sober.

God bless all of you! I will try to stop beating myself up. I will try to stop worrying so much. I will try to like myself (even if it's just a little). I will do everything possible to stay sober one day at a time because I don't want to ever go back to the place of darkness that alcohol took me.

Love u guys!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Youre doing great. Youre on track in your recovery. Who cares what that guy thinks. You werent going back to that bar anyways. Dont be ashamed. Everyone has something like that happen. Not just us alcoholics. Be proud of yourself for what youre accomplishing. Ive walked in youre shoes. Im proud of you.

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonymblue View Post
Youre doing great. Youre on track in your recovery. Who cares what that guy thinks. You werent going back to that bar anyways. Dont be ashamed. Everyone has something like that happen. Not just us alcoholics. Be proud of yourself for what youre accomplishing. Ive walked in youre shoes. Im proud of you. "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"
Thank you for saying that Tommy! I really appreciate it!!! I'm not used to people telling me they are proud of me lately.....so really....thanks!!!!

Old 08-01-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm proud of you too, Serenidad! Keep going strong!