Notices

Day #1

Old 07-28-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day #1

This is the first time I have ever reached out for help from others to help me stay sober and I would really like to never have another drink, but part of me knows this is impossible! Just trying to explore new people and new ways of life and thinking
Old 07-28-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by kdg3 View Post
but part of me knows this is impossible!
Part of you is addicted to alcohol AND a liar. That part will tell you that you CAN'T stay sober. It's a lie. You can absolutely never have another drink again if you choose not to.

Welcome to SR.

You can do this.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

kdg3,

Glad your here - takes courage. The admission that one is powerless over alcohol is a high personal decision YOU have to make. It involves looking back at your history in part.
Blackouts?
Drank to excess when perhaps others have stopped for the night?
Wake up with shame and guilt over what you did while drinking?
Bad occurrences while drunk - cops, fights, hit and runs etc???
Drink because you are happy, sad, mad, frightened or how about it's just Monday?? In other words drink based on excuses - daily or binge or whatever???

Those are a simple handful of questions one may ask. Reaching out for help indicates maybe some yes in there!

ANYONE who is willing and desirous of not drinking can quit. It is NOT based simply on will power however. That is the sick mind set.

Only took me 40+ years to figure it out.......

Either way, I admire you for reaching out and asking questions. Only when one is ready to stop and commit will any treatment/AA etc work. YOU (one) has to take responsibility for their own recovery, but persons of all ages quit everyday.

When I was young, I could not do - although I see plenty who have. Again, this is highly personal.

Glad your here!
Peace
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

kdg3, well done for reaching out. It most certainly is not impossible to stay sober. I won't lie, it can be difficult sometimes, but it's not impossible as many people here will testify. You just have to really, really want to stay sober - then it gets easier. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum kdg3!!

If it was impossible, SR wouldn't exist, there is always hope, you'll find loads of support and advice here to make it happen!!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, getting and staying sober is definitely possible. Reaching out here is a great idea, you'll find tons of support and advice. Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have thirty days sober, almost 31 now, and I know for a fact it isn't impossible. If I can put down booze AND narcotics, you can do it too! The sickness gets better. The anxiety becomes tolerable. And the days you wake up feeling good are so worth it. Hang in there...this is a battle you can win...one day at a time. Wishing you the best!
Old 07-28-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, kdg, to SR. SR is a great place for support, encouragement and understanding.

Believe is sobriety; it IS possible.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, kdg3!

As others have said, there is fantastic support here. Stick with us!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm 24 and have had some ugly experiences when it comes to alcohol... I don't drink anywhere near what I did a couple of years ago, but every time I think I can monitor my drinking it may last a time or two until the next extreme binge I have which almost always turns into using cocaine, which I hate more than the alcohol! I feel so weak because I know better yet somehow this always happens and then the depression, anxiety, and guilt that comes with it is NEVER worth it! This time I really want to give it everything I possibly have because I want to break the cycle and teach my son that alcohol and drugs are things to stay away from. I'm hoping to find support and use it to help me on this long journey I have ahead of me!
Old 07-28-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to meet you kdg - you found a great place for understanding & encouragement.

Drinking is leading you into danger, and unpredictable things happen when it's in your system. That was me at 24 too - but I didn't do a thing to keep myself from crashing & burning. As a much older person, I finally admitted I'd never have control and had to stop all together. My life was in ruins at that point. This won't happen to you. Be proud of yourself for seeking help and guidance. You can do this.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR kdg3

D