SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Another sober weekend, really wanted a drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/340274-another-sober-weekend-really-wanted-drink.html)

Angel1555 07-28-2014 08:06 AM

Another sober weekend, really wanted a drink

I went out to dinner last night. The restaurant was crowded, loud and the wait was long. We were planning to do a hike afterwards so my friend didn't order a drink so there was no (perceived) pressure to drink. Nevertheless, I was agitated as I glanced around and so so many women talking and enjoying their wine. (Again, my perception.) I found myself having a hard time paying attention to my friend and really wanting a drink. I am at day 23 now and this is the first time that it has been hard for me. The good thing is I am doing a lot of things with this new friend and I have noticed that she often doesn't have a drink when I don't. I think she just doesn't want one and the pressure is off of her NOT to drink. Go figure! She is not much of a drinker. When I was at parties with her she would have one glass of wine to my 3-4. She is turning into a good buddy. We exercise and do healthy things together. I am grateful that she came into my life and think that on some level I created a new healthy friendship.

awholenewlife52 07-28-2014 08:59 AM

Good for you for not drinking, MindfulLiving.

It sounds like you have a really good friend there to do sober, healthy activities with. :)

Ghostlight1 07-28-2014 09:41 AM

Congratulations on twenty three days. I'm glad for you that's it's not day one again.
Think of the and misery you missed out on.
Sounds like you've got a good friend, she sounds wonderful.
It took me awhile to stop envying people drinking. But not long. I always keep in the back of my mind the way I drank and the horrors I went through the days after.
Good for you last night (pat on the back) You're doing great. Best to you.

pumpkinny 07-28-2014 09:57 AM

Congrats on 23! Your new friend sounds like a keeper. :)

PurpleKnight 07-28-2014 10:02 AM

Great job on Day 23!! Keep it going!! :You_Rock_

0percentABV 07-28-2014 10:15 AM

After a few weeks of success you start to feel real good and your natural tendency is to reward yourself and as drinkers we reward ourselves by making us feel like crap the next day. DERP DORP DARP! Just keep reminding yourself that you feel good because you're not drinking anymore. You start drinking that feel good feeling is gone and the sickness returns.

Angel1555 07-28-2014 12:19 PM

Thanks for all of the support! I have found that being on SR helps keep me motivated, keeps sobriety foremost in my mind and I feel accountable to you all. I just need to "moderate" my time on here!!

Notmyrealname 07-28-2014 12:45 PM

Do you know why you wanted a drink? Does it feel like habit gnawing at you, or a desire to fit in, or to correspond to an idealized notion of what a fun evening out is, or maybe just good ol' FOMO (fear of missing out)?

Just curious.

Angel1555 07-28-2014 05:23 PM

notmyrealname, I think it was a knee jerk reaction to my stress. It was too loud and we had to wait too long. I just didn't want to be there from the time I arrived. There was a melancholy moment as I watched several women drink their wine, but I think it was just the sensory overload and agitation.

Tonymblue 07-28-2014 06:13 PM

I know the feeling. Im at day 24. Got my first urge yesterday. Small part of me though hard days work why not a harmless drink. That goodness my it only lasted a second. I know abstaining is the only option for me. Harmless drink, bs. For me it might as well be hemlock. You are doing great. Having good friends is key.