Notices

Unintentionally illegal? Some more stress

Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unintentionally illegal? Some more stress

Stress has always been my downfall. When I am nervous or anxious, I used to drink. I don't anymore, but something came up today that I am concerned about. A friend of mine is doing some fundraising and was looking for ideas. I told her about a fundraiser a friend of mine held on a college campus several years back (5 years to be exact) for a group I was president of in professional school in Maryland (USA).

This fundraiser was called base marketing, and for each credit card application we returned completely filled out, we received $5 for our organization whether they were approved or not. Well, people would fill them out but occasionally, they would leave out their SS #, their phone number or their signature. We only received $ if EVERYTHING was filled out... so when the others in the group returned their share of the forms that were not completed, my friend filled in the missing spaces.

This means only that this friend added in false information where things were missing.. ie she made up SS #s, she made up phone numbers or she signed the application for them. They had provided the majority of the info so she figured that was like giving consent to the application. She did not get the credit card for them, charge things on them etc... this was just the application form.

My friend was mortified. She said that this is credit card fraud. This was never her intention but now I am concerned for her that someone may find out. Is this true? Does anyone know if this is illegal or how to find out? She did not do it with malicious intent but I am concerned.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How on earth did you think that putting false information in a credit application that someone else signed wasn't being fraudulent?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

How many years ago was this? If it were an issue I would think you would have heard by now. I wouldn't suggest doing it again of course.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know, I guess I thought that I had their consent since they filled out the rest of the info. This was 5 yrs ago and yes, I agree it was probably stupid.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I might be concerned about posting this on an online forum...
Old 07-27-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It only takes a few seconds to check a Social Security number for validity. The applications with false SS #'s will be rejected, and it will probably be assumed that the applicant supplied erroneous or false information. I am not sure if credit authorization agencies check phone numbers or signatures, but it is probably unlikely to be traced back to you.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Changed the OP. Thanks, Cold. I hope you are right.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am assuming too there is a statute of limitation on any charges but I am unclear if this is even something to worry about at all. It isn't like $ was stolen.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Cool

"...Does anyone know if this is illegal or how to find out? She did not do it with malicious intent..."

Although this is not credit card fraud, it is fraud, and yes it's illegal. She received monies to which she was not entitled (thus it is consiered stolen); this is kind of like when folks fill out voter registration cards for non-existant folks---voter registration fraud.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 07-27-2014, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, fraud, but the police have bigger fish to fry I think and the statute of limitations is probably 2 to 4 years on that according to my husband (lawyer)
Old 07-27-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Phew... So what I'm hearing is technically illegal, but unlikely that anyone would ever take interest in it. Thanks, guys.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It would be the credit card company who would need to file charges and hiring lawyers and opening a case is very expensive and more than likely the statute of limitations is up. Even if it wasn't, I don't think they would bother. Now relax and have a nice, cold...ginger ale! lol
Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberr View Post
Phew... So what I'm hearing is technically illegal, but unlikely that anyone would ever take interest in it. Thanks, guys.
It is not technically illegal, it's just illegal, no adjectives needed.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

If this is really concerning you soberr maybe some professional legal advice is called for ?

D
Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

5 years on, I would doubt there will be any comeback, if the College was processing the payments and they were keen for donations, they would have probably called the people to confirm the details, that's the only way it could have been flagged up, but if they didn't follow the details up they're probably long gone by now.

But yes, making up credit card details to put on a form, is not a great way forward!!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Joe walked into a bank with a toy pistol. Told the teller to give him all the money. She gave him a bag that was full of blank papers and he ran out.
Was it illegal? He didn't have a real gun and he didn't steal any money.

Here is a different example of what you did. Going into a hockey game the credit card pushers were always there. Get a free beach towel or team hat just for filling out a credit application. Sure, I'll take a free hat. Joe Bagadonuts got another free hat. He lives at 1313 Mockingbird Lane, and his SS# is 555-555-5555. They get thousands upon thousands of invalid credit apps every single day.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Stress is stressful only if you decide to take it on. You made a mistake a long time ago, but another mistake is the fretting and hankie twisting now. This was five years ago so shake your head and move on. What's the plan for today?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

True! Thanks!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't think they will come knocking at your door, but if they do, you'll deal with it then. Seriously, they would probably need to show that they were somehow damaged by what you did and I don't know how much you made but do you know what the going rate for an attorney is? I'm sure they have in-house attorneys but they want them handling the most pressing things. The idea that they don't know that people make up stuff on applications is far-fetched. I'm sure they assume x-number of applications will be bogus in some way.

As Elsa says in Frozen "Let It Go"...
Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

5 years ago?? Don't worry about it. No one lost any money so I am sure no one cares.