Notices

Giving it another Go

Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Giving it another Go

Hello,
Geez, where to start! I have been an alcoholic my whole life. First drunk at 13, started daily in the summer of 1996. Makes me cringe to think about the wasted (no pun intended) years. I have many repeated attempts at sobriety, the last in 2010 for (maybe) two weeks. I had long since resigned myself to "this is just how you are". Ive got a rough road ahead, I defintely am not aware of how to live life without substances to get by. I am glad to be here today, and meet you nice people. Wish me luck.

Too much going through my mind right now, I wish the thinking would stop.
I would love to whoop this demon inside me, he is making me angry.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome OldSkool

I think most of us can identify with having no idea how to live sober, but you'll find a lot of support and good ideas here.

It all starts with a day one. No luck required just persistence, a little faith and a willingness to see it through

If you've been drinking for a while, it may be good to get the once over from a doctor.

D
Old 07-27-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome oldschool, you're not alone. Many have been down your road and many have changed their course.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome OldSkool! This is a great place to find support, to share your experience, and find your way without alcohol. You've made a great move to join!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome OldSkool, Things will slow down and become clearer the longer you stay sober. Glad you decided that thing didn't have to stay the way they were.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! You can whoop the demon!

Lisa.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. Lots of support here. Really helps. There is always someone for support. Many times i would read and post at 3AM. Got me through some hard times. You can do it.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
Too much going through my mind right now, I wish the thinking would stop.
I would love to whoop this demon inside me, he is making me angry.
Hi OldSkool...you are here. This is a great place to be Let me tell you that you do not have to figure out everything right now. Just knowing that you have to stop drinking...that's a great start. Welcome to the SR forum!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You are an excellent communicator!! WOW! Clearly you have skills. Totally identify with what you are saying, but it can be done. I started at 11. Some champagne punch, not knowing that it had champagne in it, got me to feeling carefree, and that was it for the next (do the word problem: At age 11, a sweet and lovely young girl in California accidentally drank some champagne punch at a small wedding she was attending at which her parents (who were separated and telling nobody) pretended to be there as a family and she hated the lie. OK. The married coupled pretending they were still together at a WEDDING. The words denial and hypocrisy spring up. Nevertheless, this young 11 year old girl accidentally discovered that champagne punch kills pain and and social discomfort pretty much immediately. Like bug spray.Drink it away, and it was on from there my friend. I am 48 now, and just trying to get to that 'tool' OUT of my life. And actually, life is better without my 'tool' of relieving feelings.
I'm so glad you are here and I love what you shared. I think anyone anywhere can kick the addictions that they want to kick. It's just smoother when you have people to talk to about it that understand. Keep coming here. It's the best. It's do-able. The support is unmatched in my opinion.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum OldSkool!!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR OldSkool,

I was a daily drinker for much the same time frame you were. It sucked the life out of me. You can't turn back time but you can have better.