Notices

Getting Connected and Finding Support

Old 07-27-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Connected and Finding Support

Hello,

I am new to SR and working on getting through 24 hours of sobriety. I can usually squeak in a day or 2 but then its back to drinking. I am at a point where I know I do not want to drink anymore but I have never been able to quit before? This time I need it to work.

My question, what are some of the best ways to get connected and get the most out of SR. Any tips or advice on getting through my early days?
I do not go to AA but am not totally opposed to it. My husband does not want me to go, I believe he is afraid of me being labeled an alcoholic. He does not think I am, but in his eyes I think his vision of an alcoholic is skid row.
For me, one is never enough and I won't stop until I pass out. Wonder why my husband is in denial.

Any advice I would sure appreciate, I really want to stay sober!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not 'an AA' in the classic sense.... not all of AA resonates with me and I don't go all the time.

Yet I value AA and am grateful for it being there... wherever I go... whenever I need.

It was a tremendous support for me in the early days. I have my copy of the Big Book and have read it several times. It taught me a lot. Having real people to talk to face to face and feeling the energy of being heard and understood and learning from their stories in person helped me.

I think it's a really good move to go and give it at least 90 days worth of a chance. Get a copy of the Big Book and read it. Keep coming here.

Welcome.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey happyfree, welcome to the Forum!!

For me I needed to do more than simply not drink, sitting at home with a lot of time on my hands, thinking about not drinking never ended well, not drinking is only part of the solution, instead you'll want to plan new activities to get involved in, even if it's housework, checking out SR or online puzzles, whatever it is, you need to fill that time that you would have usually filled with drinking.

You mention a few days is manageable and then it's back to drinking, I needed to take some extreme measures to make Sobriety permanent, I had to change the activities I got involved in and the people I hung out with to really make Sobriety work, whatever it takes not to pick up that first drink each day!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! read and post, get involved in some of the daily support threads, it's great to have you here!!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Happyfree! Congrats on your decision to quit drinking

Originally Posted by happyfree2525 View Post
My question, what are some of the best ways to get connected and get the most out of SR. Any tips or advice on getting through my early days?
I was also unsure at first and initially I did not post much on the public board because I did not know how to get the most out of it and how to be useful to others. When I really started being active on SR after years of lurking on and off, I first joined the monthly "class" that Dee recommended and runs. That was very helpful for me for ~daily checking in, why perusing the rest of the forum to see what to make of it.

After a couple weeks, I found a few people whose posts really resonated with me, contacted them via PM, and a couple of these turned into quite intense and very beneficial interactions for a few months. I also got contacted by others in similar ways.

Later, I started to get the hang of the whole board, and begin posting quite a lot on a quazi daily basis. Just respond to posts where I thought I had something potentially interesting and useful to add, all over the map. I also started a few threads myself, addressing issues that occupied me at a given time. Always amazed at the speed, number, and substance of the responses. This can be especially helpful at the time when we are in a crisis situation, eg. when having cravings, just generally feeling blue, or uncertain about something related to recovery. So this kind of use of SR has become my dominant approach: I like to contribute to many different topics and interact with a great variety of posters. Still do the PMs, sort of on and off, with specific people if we have something interesting to discuss. A couple of these SR friends have become quite trusted buddies for me, as far as it's possible in an anonymous way. But nothing excessive.

Some people like to stick with specific threads and/or circuits on SR - this may be a good option for you in case you are more comfortable with a smaller group.

Start out any way you feel comfortable, and you'll see!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hello,

I am new to SR and working on getting through 24 hours of sobriety. I can usually squeak in a day or 2 but then its back to drinking. I am at a point where I know I do not want to drink anymore but I have never been able to quit before? This time I need it to work.

Joining the monthly Class of support threads is always good value I think
Our latest is here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-19.html

Over in the Daily Support Forum you'll find our 24 Hour Recovery Connections thread - it's a great fun way to commit to another 24 hours sobriety
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-8-a-13.html

we also have a number of other threads like the One Year and Under thread where you can mix with others in their first year...

and our Whiners thread, for those things that really stick in your craw and you need to vent
about

D
Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

You will find lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello,

Thank you for all your helpful information, I believe I just added myself to the July Class Thread.
Could you give me a quick rundown of how this works?

Thank you,
Old 07-27-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hello,

Thank you for all your helpful information, I believe I just added myself to the July Class Thread.
Could you give me a quick rundown of how this works?

Thank you,
How what works? You mean just posting on those threads? You just post as often as you want, ask for support if you need it, and reaffirm your desire to be sober by posting. I post in the 24 hour recovery connections thread once each day. The class of July thread is for people quitting drinking this month. It's a good way to remind yourself of why you're quitting.

And above all else, post instead of drinking. We're a good deterrent.