Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feel sick beginning around 3pm 4pm or 5pm in early recovery?

Notices

Old 07-27-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 here and although I didn't really experience any major symptoms except for some minor shaking/ fasciculations and that has passed. I've noticed that each day in the late afternoon I begin to feel sick. The symptoms are nonspecific. I just feel fatigued, slightly anxious, a bit of mental cloudiness, a slight feeling of weakness/heavyness (that feeling as you are developing a fever. And then three hours later it goes away and I feel amazing. Yesterday it started at 5 and the only thing I could think to do was eat a meal, take a hot shower, and watch a bit of tv to distract myself. 3 hours later it went away and like always I felt amazing. I got so much work done and I had to force myself to sleep at 1 am so that I could get up early today and work on my project. Again, today it kicked in around 5 and I feel like crap right now. Anybody else experience this before?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first few weeks for me, I didn't feel all that well, I went to work and then by 5pm I was shattered, I'd come home and just crash, that went on for a few weeks. 5pm was when I was usually about to start drinking, I used to drink in the evenings so that anxiety of how am I going to get through the evening without alcohol was always on my mind the closer I got to clocking off from work.

Day 5 is still early days, the body needs time to adjust, physically, mentally and emotionally, it needs to adapt to not having alcohol, it simply needs time to heal.

But if something crops up that your very worried about, check in with a Dr to be safe!!

Keep pushing through, Day 5 is fantastic!!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Serper,

Yes I had all sorts of symptoms coming and going during the first month of sobriety especially. Some pretty violent mood swings included. I found the best way to deal with them was distraction: focus on some activity and don't concentrate on the symptoms and moods that much. Coming here and posting always helps, too. I think many of us feel uneasy especially at the times when we used to drink, or start drinking, if there was any routine in it.

I have a question for you, though. You are on day 5 today... but posted six days ago that you were on day 4. And several other restarts before. You tend to come here to ask about some new symptoms or issues, but are you trying to address the most important feature? What makes you going back to drinking?
Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I had that and sometimes experience it now, 2 years later.

For me I think it was/is low blood sugar.
What works for me is a thick vanilla milkshake, a fresh orange juice, or a hot chocolate about 3pm.

I try to do it before it gets later in the afternoon and it perks me up.

I would suggest trying it, see how you feel then if no improvement, think about medical advice.

Booze has a stack of sugar of it.
When I first stopped I was scared I would never be able to sleep.
But I did nothing but sleep!! Still do!

When I have had friends who have given up for shorter periods of time, they ask me how to deal with the lack of energy early evening, when they would usually be pouring their first drink and I always recommend something sugary to drink and it usually works.

I'm not sure where you are in the world, whether you have hot or cold weather, but in winter I loved sugary hot chocolates with cream and sprinkles and marshmallows and in summer an ice cream or an iced thick milkshake.

Let us know how you go xx
Old 07-27-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
The first few weeks for me, I didn't feel all that well, I went to work and then by 5pm I was shattered, I'd come home and just crash, that went on for a few weeks. 5pm was when I was usually about to start drinking, I used to drink in the evenings so that anxiety of how am I going to get through the evening without alcohol was always on my mind the closer I got to clocking off from work.

Day 5 is still early days, the body needs time to adjust, physically, mentally and emotionally, it needs to adapt to not having alcohol, it simply needs time to heal.

But if something crops up that your very worried about, check in with a Dr to be safe!!

Keep pushing through, Day 5 is fantastic!!

Yeah, this is nothing that I'm that worried about. I'm assuming it will pass. I've just noticed that it was happening and wondered if anyone experienced the same thing. It could merely be lack of sleep and too much caffeine as I'm working on a huge project right now and I really shouldn't even be posting here right now lol
Old 07-27-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi Serper,

Yes I had all sorts of symptoms coming and going during the first month of sobriety especially. Some pretty violent mood swings included. I found the best way to deal with them was distraction: focus on some activity and don't concentrate on the symptoms and moods that much. Coming here and posting always helps, too. I think many of us feel uneasy especially at the times when we used to drink, or start drinking, if there was any routine in it.

I have a question for you, though. You are on day 5 today... but posted six days ago that you were on day 4. And several other restarts before. You tend to come here to ask about some new symptoms or issues, but are you trying to address the most important feature? What makes you going back to drinking?

Yeah that issue has been addressed and squashed. Many of my restarts were due to my ex. Well not to her specifically, I mean I was responsible for each restart. She had no idea that I had any issues with drinking and once I told her we became "friends" again and stupidly I started to fantasize about getting back together with her, knowing full well in the back of my head that I can't and that it will never happen. I met with her last week and we have discontinued communication. In the far past I've had the habit of going crazy while waiting for a text message back from significant others at time points after the relationship when I wasn't sure if we could get back together. So in order to pass time I'd drink. It's a habit that I wasn't aware of when I first came here and it has been responsible for most of my restarts. The bottom line is that when it comes to communicating with recent ex's I just need to RELAX. Fortunately, I don't have any to communicate with anymore so I don't expect this issue to become a problem again for a long time.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think specific times of day can cause problems during withdrawal. With me it seems to get worse when it gets dark. I'd be inclined to think that it was just a jump in the underlying anxiety due to the darkness except that I seem to get real physical symptoms too (nausea, headache, dizziness, balance problems etc.).

So I don't think it's unusual that things get a bit bumpy at certain times. At least not in my experience.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Yes I had that and sometimes experience it now, 2 years later.

For me I think it was/is low blood sugar.
What works for me is a thick vanilla milkshake, a fresh orange juice, or a hot chocolate about 3pm.

I try to do it before it gets later in the afternoon and it perks me up.

I would suggest trying it, see how you feel then if no improvement, think about medical advice.

Booze has a stack of sugar of it.
When I first stopped I was scared I would never be able to sleep.
But I did nothing but sleep!! Still do!

When I have had friends who have given up for shorter periods of time, they ask me how to deal with the lack of energy early evening, when they would usually be pouring their first drink and I always recommend something sugary to drink and it usually works.

I'm not sure where you are in the world, whether you have hot or cold weather, but in winter I loved sugary hot chocolates with cream and sprinkles and marshmallows and in summer an ice cream or an iced thick milkshake.

Let us know how you go xx

BINGO. On friday I had a big 32 oz bottle of orange juice..... about an hour later I felt like a million bucks. I just went outside now and bought some oj and already I'm starting to feel better after drinking around 10 oz of oj....
Old 07-27-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey there. Thanks for this post. When the clock hits midnight I will also be on day five. I have noticed as socratesplato has said that my anxiety and withdrawal hits right at 5:00 which is when I'd have my first gulp. I, too, have had lethargy, headaches general malaise in the early evening. Thanks to sasha4 for the "sweet" tip! I will try tomorrow. I wish us both nothing but success in this. Thanks to this website and it's fellowship!