Notices

Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello,

I am new to Sober Recovery, just wanted to say hello. Today I woke up after another heavy night of drinking and sadly admitted that I cannot drink anymore. I feel it has gotten to a dangerous level for me. Scared I won't be able to do it alone so thought I would join to get advice from other sober people on how to handle early sobriety.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome happyfree! Great to meet you.

I felt the same way when I came to SR. I was exhausted from trying to control what I drank. Moderation never worked for me. I was always putting myself in dangerous & unpredictable situations - people were disappointed in me and I was miserable. I found the courage to stop by posting & reading here. I think you'll find the help you're looking for.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum happyfree!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR!! It's great to have you onboard!!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR
This is a great site for support and full of people who have been there.
Hope to hear more from you!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyfree2525 View Post
Hello,

Scared I won't be able to do it alone so thought I would join to get advice from other sober people on how to handle early sobriety.
Welcome and go for it. We get better when we hang in there and don’t pick up the first drink even when the obsession seems very strong. The way we do it varies for the individual starting with try not to think about drinking, focus on other things, keep busy, walks help a lot, exercise, getting into a help program like AA, read the posts on this forum and on and on. Many other suggestions will follow.

BE WELL
Old 07-27-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the kind words, I have struggled with my drinking for many many years now. Have always failed terribly at moderation. It seems to now really be getting in the way of things I want to do, I am hungover daily and I so sick and tired of feeling this way. It always seems that once the hangover goes away my mind somehow justifies that I should be able to drink in moderation, but it is a horrible lie. Why is it so hard to just stop! I don't want to do this anymore.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

With my program when we get jammed up with difficult situations it’s so easy to come to meetings and talk about it to people who understand us. We can pick up the phone, meet someone for coffee etc.
This forum is good and helpful in many respects, I also need the personal contact.

BE WELL
Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome happy free! I joined just a week ago, but this step has helped me feel part of a community and accountable to myself and others. So good for you for joining! I know the cycle you describe and realizing you need something to change. Take it one day at a time, and just don't pick up a first drink. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome happyfree2525!

I too just joined here last week. As others have said, it's a great place for help and solidarity.