Notices

Killing the old me

Old 07-27-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Killing the old me

The immaculate sobriety, the new lease, the life of kings and Gods, a new life, A life anew, a beginning of the end to alcoholism The promise, the newness, the incontrovertibly truth of truths, The sober you, the release, a new life, welcome friends. You might think it the end, its not, its the beggiing a promise of

So your down trodden, life and you have issues... I know that feeling, all to well, I was the worst of the worst. I've done things that nobody should ever do to anyone. I've seen the worst of the worst, watched people die, watched true evil and can say this, I am not that guy anymore.... There is redemption for all of us!

A redemptive redemption the grace, the oneness, the feeling of forgiveness, and hope and promise, Why TDG? Why does this man deserve that type of redemption, and grace, I am not religious, I am an atheist, but I am learning to live the life of a saint.

Sobriety is awesome, sobriety is the my life blood, reconnecting is the medicine for me, being free of my habits is a freedomethis deliveryguy is new to. Such a wonderful experience, an existential out of body and mindful wonderment. Yep, here it is, I am letting go of the old TDG. @#$# you old, TDG, you're over, I am done with you, you might come back, what I've done can always come back, but I am a new me and will never ever recognize you for anything but a nuance a joke a puppet. TDG, is resigning the old him, kiss off old you. Yep, this sober man is parting with a horrible and wretched past. Goodbye old me, hello new me, its over this is it a new me.

Want to say goodbye to the old you, I just did it. I am now new and a person of freeness, a apparition of my past. It wasn't easy, I haunt me, my thought haunt me, the old life will forever haunt me, but I just said goodbye. I am done, bye bye old friend, I am sober and have just released all that holds me to the past. TDG, is having issues right now, but knows its over, I am saying my last goodbyes and welcoming the new me, I just killed the old me and told him to push off.

So friends its that easy, #$# the old you, you did evil, things you wish you didn't, that is the past. This is the present, I just swore off the old me, swear off the old you. You aren't tha person, let go of that grief resentment whatever. Good day friends, TDG is waxing philosophical today, sorry for that but can you blame a guy, Stay safe and sober friends, this is the new me, I just told me to get bent. Its over, I killed the old me, you can kill the old you. Let it go, don't live with those thoughts, good day all, good day to the old me. Thanks for reading
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I too have noticed that an attitude just like that directed at the old me, or as I prefer to call it, the Beast or AV, helps to motivate me a lot in the path of sobriety and becoming a better person. However, I think the "core" of myself was always essentially a good, empathetic person, yet my addictions and poor decisions (I said MY, Im not placing blame elsewhere) caused terrible, callous, abusive and cruel actions toward others and myself. Without the damn Beast so active in my life, I have the chance to get to know that girl whom I have hated all this time, but is maybe not all that evil after all.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi TDG,

Great that you are feeling so upbeat and positive about the present and future. For me the attitude that works best is not to try and separate the "old me" from the "new me", but actually fully acknowledge, take responsibility for, and if possible correct some of the consequences of my old behaviors, within realistic limits. The way I like to think about the whole process of recovery is continuous development and integration, rather than separating parts of myself. One reason is that what if it happens again? If I get into any kind of destructive act again? Shake it off saying it's the "other" doing that? I got myself into thinking this way in the past, and the result wasn't good for me when I tried to detach from parts of my own mind and motives, because the "bad" aspects remained unchanged, I just tried to isolate them and bury inside. But I believe whatever works for everyone, is the best approach.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
EndGame

Much as I admire your enthusiasm, TDG, I would recommend caution in writing off "the old me." If I could kill it, run away from it or completely silence my alcoholic thinking, what an easy ride it would be. But I could not. It is not a power that I could fight, nor should I have even tried. I freed myself from my past by building a better future in the present moment, not by relinquishing an invisible enemy.

That "beast," that "AV," that "old me"...All are my responsibility and mine alone. I'm not accountable for my past behaviors only in the moment when I make amends, but in every moment that follows them. It's my job to make amends/reparations and to build a better life in order make peace with them, rather than slay them and move on.

Without denying unwanted aspects of myself, or my past behaviors, but instead accepting them as they are, I was able to build a better life. Not the life of "kings, Gods or saints," but one among many other human beings, given what life has to offer. Why would I want to be anything more or different than that?

Straying a bit from your OP, I don't believe that God favors drunks, consigning us special attention or privileges by virtue of our choosing sobriety. Nor do I believe that I am "special" because I've been able to overcome a tremendous burden and disability that it seems few people can. The Universe doesn't care whether I drink myself to death or live a life that's worth living to me. My choices and the behaviors that make them real are what provides meaning in my life on the one hand, and despair, loss and eternal repetition, empty gestures that offer nothing more than a guarantee that I'll live an empty life.

I choose either life or death. And if I say "yes" to life, I'm also saying "yes" to a better life. Otherwise, why all the fuss?