Notices

Just Me.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=philly76;4803877]I've considered AA, but I know a few people I'd run into. And for the time being at least, I want to be anonymous. I also don't want to trade booze for a folding chair. I want my life back.
QUOTE]

Hi. Most people I’ve ever heard speak got sober when they wanted it bad enough to go to any length.
I’m fortunate that my anonymity wasn’t enough to keep me away as I wasn’t that important compared to death. Sober is better.

BE WELL
Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadLump View Post
Welcome, Philly

I have been sober now for 18 months (today -yay!! ) The most important change I've found so far is psychological. I've always been compassionate towards others, but now I've learned how to direct some of that compassion to myself. I finally feel good enough to receive it.

I've done many things in the past that I'm ashamed of - many, but not quite all, through drink. I can't change them, but I can and I have changed me.

If you decide to choose the sober route, we'll walk beside you. And if you're even just thinking about it, we'll be there too. You're not alone in any of this
Thanks you. This means so much. Someone else mentioned something too about looking ahead, and not in the rearview mirror, and I really liked that. I fixate a lot on the past, and not just mistakes caused by alcohol. I want to address those mistakes, but I'm slowly recognizing the fact that I need to be a whole person again before I can do that.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by todayiwill View Post
Philly
I am very new to SR. I read and post here a couple times a day. I find great comfort in the postings of others. Sleep is hard for me also. I run and swim as much as I can to exhaust myself . Work out and read. I love to read but could not enjoy reading with a hangover.
I've been working out a lot. When I go a couple days without drinking and go to the gym, I feel like Superman. If that's my way out, that's a great way out in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Hi Philly,

I live in Center City too. I know you said you were hesitant about AA, but I can assure you that we take anonymity very seriously in this city. I'm a professional and I've never had any issues. And they few times I've seen someone I know in a meeting from the real world, I just remind myself that he or she is here for the same reason I am.

I guess that's why I sought this forum. If I trade the bottle for anything I want to trade it for people who care, or at least people who understand.
This is why I go to AA. To be around people who not only care and understand me, but always go out of their way to help me succeed and be the best person I can be.

There are tons of great meetings downtown, including several LGBT oriented meetings, though all are welcome (I'm straight but have gone to many). Like others have said, there is more than one way to get sober, and I'm not trying to imply that AA is the only way, but I'd be remised if I didn't at least point out that you are currently living in a gold mine of recovery if you decide you want it.

Feel free to PM me if you want some meeting suggestions.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by philly76 View Post
I've been working out a lot. When I go a couple days without drinking and go to the gym, I feel like Superman. If that's my way out, that's a great way out in my opinion.
Aside from choosing sobriety, working out has been the next best thing I've done for myself. It's definitely a great way out, only brings the positives to your life, so keep at it!

I've been combining working out and drinking for years. Only now I'm realizing how exhausting that was. Looking back, I honestly don't know where I found the time or energy for drinking and its aftermath!

I like what digdug wrote and hope you find some companionship in your city soon! In the meantime, we're always here, keep posting!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:28 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Babe..
I guess I am in the same boat as you..I've let go of a lot of relationships and have honestly have removed myself from the closet people in my life..This is all new to me..I've tried it before on my own scared of what the people in my life will think..and I stumbled on this site..so I hope and wish and pray it works out for us..I too am 38 and a mother..but I feel like there is so much more I (should) or may be doing...I understand...It's a crazy thing when you have something that you feel like no one understands
Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Drinking is but a symptom of what is wrong. I am also gay ( woman) and I agree, most gay culture is centered around a bar or a club.

I traded it all for the folding chair. A gay one at that! And I have to say, putting aside 4-5 hours a week with a folding chair and people who are like me has given more than I thought it would. Of courses there are other methods, good ones. But they almost all require that we stop drinking. Best of luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum. Lots of support here. Read and post. It really helps. You can do this.