Notices

Three and a half weeks

Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three and a half weeks

Hey,
It's been three and a half weeks since I was rushed into the hospital to treat an acute pancreatitis attack. The doctor said I had to give up alcohol for good. I remember thinking at the time 'thank god'. I've been well aware of my alcoholism for over a decade. Sometimes I have gone without alcohol for a few weeks, only to decide that life was simply unbearable without and started drinking 'moderately', which would soon turn into heavily again. Now hearing the doctor forbid it, felt like I finally would have the incentive to stick with sobriety. After all, a beer may lead to my death.

At times I'm feeling OK, last week I felt pretty good at work in the daytime. In the evenings I usually feel miserable. Now it's Saturday evening and I have feelings of anxiety. Overall I really haven't been able to be myself. Sometimes the thought of alcohol slips my mind for a moment, and then I think of something random and then the thought comes crashing back to me 'Oh yeah, I can't have beer'.

Right now It's really hot where I live, which is just a slap in the face, as I would otherwise use this an excuse to lie in the sun and drink beer. Now I'm just hot and miserable.

Reading these posts help. It helps to know that other people are going through similar situations.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on 3 and a half weeks. I'm only 2 weeks in. I guess this gets easier. I found my second week more bearable than my hellish first and so far my third week a little better than my difficult second... I've identifyed the key times for me when I'm most at risk and organise alternative activities for myself...maybe that could help you? Keep up the good work!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ice tea! Mix it up, like how about ice tea with fresh limes? Or ice tea and fresh mint leaves. Just drinking some ice cold water helps.

I've realized, now that I don't drink, that I drank whenever I was stressed.

Now, sober, I look around and I see people stressed all the time. It's not just me. It's not like it doesn't happen to other people. I just need to learn I can't reach for a bottle when I'm stressed.

Quit while you can, while you still have time to turn your health around.

And apparently fresh lemon juice and water is really good for the liver.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

We have to get the idea of weekends and hot whether, with drinking out of our minds, the romanticised idea that it would be wonderful to have a few beers, for me it was never a few beers, I used to drink until I got drunk, the fairytale was only in my head not in reality.

Keep pushing through, you're doing great!!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey! Welcome to SR TobyOne, and congrats on taking your life back.

It does get better. Each day in the beginning had its own struggle. My thoughts and emotions were hard to regulate. As my brain began to heal, I was able to cope much better.

The first few weeks are pretty uncomfortable. Keep pushing through, it gets better soon.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't be hot and miserable, be hot and rejoice. You're doing this, you are owning your own life. Rejoice, this is your respite, this is your chance, and you're seizing it. Don't look back, look forward, know what your doing is such an awesome thing! Be hot, but don't be miserable, you are making you like better and improving you. Hell ya, I am holding a party for you, stay sober and be strong my friend.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, congrats on three and a half weeks! I found that keeping myself busy, having a support network and reaching out to people when i was struggling really helped me when i first stopped drinking. It won't always feel this difficult, it gets easier. Glad you've joined us.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Toby! I'm so glad you came through that health crisis and decided to quit.

I think it'll really help with your anxiety to be here and keep posting. When I first joined I was so relieved to find others just like me, with my same thoughts. I wasn't alone after all! The first few weeks are rough - but things do get better and less miserable - we promise.

It's great to have you with us.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for creating such a warm welcome! I feel I just might get through this! I like the ice tea idea from soberjuly.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on three and a half weeks sober!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
We have to get the idea of weekends and hot whether, with drinking out of our minds, the romanticised idea that it would be wonderful to have a few beers,
and vacations, birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, weddings, national holidays....drinks after work, it's Friday night, it's Saturday night. It's a baseball, football, basketball....fill in the blank...game.

Shoot they even sell beer and wine at the Disney on Ice shows. And Barnum & Bailey's Circus shows.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Thanks for the kind words. Still sober. Over five years later!
Old 11-12-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
under new management

Wow, TobyOne! This is a fantastic update!!!!!

I am a sucker for a happy ending
Old 11-12-2019, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats fantastic TobyOne - congrats!

D
Old 11-12-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Toby,

I am so glad to hear that you are nourishing and taking care of your liver.

Pancreatitis must of been very painful for you to go through.

Also I am very impressed you posted here instead of taking a drink.

I wish I have done that many many times.

3 1/2 weeks is amazing keep going. I can not wait to get my 30 day chip.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faith823 View Post
Hi Toby,

I am so glad to hear that you are nourishing and taking care of your liver.

Pancreatitis must of been very painful for you to go through.

Also I am very impressed you posted here instead of taking a drink.

I wish I have done that many many times.

3 1/2 weeks is amazing keep going. I can not wait to get my 30 day chip.

He is actually at over 5 years now! Older thread, so 3 and a half weeks is awesome, but 5 years is kicking ass!