Notices

Chat room worked me through an urge to drink!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Chat room worked me through an urge to drink!

I hit some stress this afternoon with friggin airlines and flight for Son. Everyday type hassle, but man, afterwards I really had a strong urge to get a drink........If I can't handle that how will I handle some major issue!?

Day 46 sober and until this afternoon I have not had a strong craving. Got on chat room for a few minutes and the fellowship helped get me through it!
Thankful for all who did.

But on that topic I could use some advice on just buying time to get around that when it happens again, please. Trying 90 meetings in 90 days - for me there's nothing else that would work but constant input from others and working steps/sharing and building spirituality. Feeling a little shaky about what happen though.

Advice PLEASE
Old 07-25-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Flybuy, I came on here, this forum and read people's experiences and vented my feelings also.

I did know though, for me, life doesn't stay the same. I kept away for a while from alcohol aisles in shops and triggers which would've in the past swayed me to pick up.

When I drank, though, I didn't need much encouragement to drink, celebrate, commiserate, it's raining, it's sunny, any excuse at all. I had to have a different mindset and be prepared for any unsuspecting cravings.

I did try many different soft drinks, ice cream also was one of my favourite pastimes.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stress was one of the major things I needed to address when I got Sober, coming home after a stressful day at work and disappearing into a bottle was my daily routine, it was a quick fix to deal with the day.

So without alcohol I needed a new approach, there's only so much can be done as a quick fix Sober, so I started to look at reducing the overall stress/strain put on my body on a daily basis through a healthier routine through increased sleep, healthier meals, more exercise, drinking more water, less caffeine, herbal teas etc, I have seen a noticeable change when a stressful day/situation hits in that it's not as intense as they used to be as the body is already under less strain and more relaxed through a healthier lifestyle.

In addition for when I need something for the quick fix moments I go for long walks, I walk out all that stress in the fresh air, but I do think my general approach to lowering strain/stresses on the body overall has helped to deal with things.

There has to be a way non drinkers can deal with stress in life, if they can do it then we can do it without alcohol!!
Old 07-25-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think PK is right in that if you're looking for an instant stress reliever there is probably not one..

Having said that, things like exercise, breathing exercises, relaxation techniques and meditations can help to reduce your overall level of stress and increase your peace ...

counselling may be a help too, helping you learn to react to things in a less extreme 'fight or flight' way...(no pun intended)

D
Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It takes some practice to get through the usual life nuisances and problems and it sounds like you're doing great.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Heartfelt great comments from everyone. Man, really a strong group. Never expected this level of support from an online forum - obviously some great sobriety. I will put these suggestions to work.

Humbly,
Thank you all