Notices

Socializing without drinking...

Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just remind myself why I'm choosing sobriety and either drink water or bring along a fancy beverage like a probiotic soda or a ginger beer or root beer or a sparkling water / juice to whatever event we're getting together at.

It felt awkward and even somehow embarassing NOT to drink at first.... but then gradually I realized nobody really cared much. The only ones who ever really seemed to were people I recognize as potentially having their own challenges with drinking. The 'healthy' drinkers have never ever questioned my "no thanks" even once.

The harder part was dealing with my own internal dialogue over feeling different, missing out, habit response, etc....

But after you manage through enough of those times and get far enough away from your last drink, it really drops off in importance and you find that actually you're having just as good or an even better time with your fancy soda - and as a bonus you can drive home because you're sober, you don't ever wake up in your own vomit and you're up with the sun living a productive happy life.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

There are always some people who don't drink. I've never thought "oh they must be recovering alcoholics". I always just think it's preference, health, lifestyle, religion.

The hard part, for me, would be watching people drink and being strong and firm in my "no thanks, I'm good".

Unless you are going to a fraternity party, I can't see anyone pressuring you to drink.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

rochelle and nigey, I think that is what I am going to do. Just keep hanging in on my fitness and using it as my excuse.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well it's Friday night and I met up with the ladies I talked about last week. Every one was already there with their margaritas and wine. The waitress came by and asked if I wanted a drink, I said, "I'm fine for now." Yes, I said that and sipped on a big glass of water throughout dinner. One of the friends that I had dinner with last week and had urged me to have a drink with her, asked me "are you still doing that?" She was referring to my not drinking. I just smiled and said yes. Then the conversation turned to how great I looked since I had lost so much weight. After dinner we said our goodbyes, I came home, made myself a cup of tea and here I am!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

No Excuses, I like that "sobriety by stealth." Made me smile.