Notices

dangerously close to a relapse

Old 07-24-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dangerously close to a relapse

I'm sober for almost 6 months. My drug of choice is pot.

Well, I'm very close to picking up the phone and asking for some weed.

Pot is only a few block from here. I just have to make one phone call.

In fact the thing is stopping me is my pride. I don't want to ask anyone for pot as I told everyone I was going to quit. And I went away from all my friends in order to quit.

Apart from my pride, at this moment I forgot all the reasons that made me quit. All I can think is things like "only today", "I deserve to have some fun", and other sort of stupidities. I know it's my mind tricking me, but I kind of don't care.

I probably won't do it, and just binge eating to deal with my anxiety, like I've always done. It's more likely I will die from food than from any other addiction, but what the hell. Well, that's how ridiculous I am.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Don't. I blew five years for buzz. The anxiety it gave me was worse than missing out on whatever "fun" I thought I was going to have.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd say do something to keep busy until the urge passes. Distract yourself somehow. Maybe call a sober friend and go out for coffee or dinner. Keep posting on the reasons why you quit . 6 months is amazing and you're shown yourself that you can do it. I bet you'd regret it if you used today. Hang in there braziliN.you can resist, and you will be happy you did.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's not worth it, all those thoughts your mind is telling you are myths, starting back on Day 1 after 6 months for the sake of a perceived fun that won't even happen isn't worth it!!

Any chance of clearing your head with some fresh air, the thoughts will subside, you just need to hang in there!!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

nearly six months is phenomenal. that feeling of pride is deserved. enjoy it!

the thing, for me, about using pot is that eventually, i have to come down. i can't be high 24hrs a day, it's impossible. so the kind of craving you are facing is guaranteed to return with a vengeance if you start smoking again. smoking will only temporarily prevent craving. its like being thirsty and drinking seawater.

alternatively, you can choose to honor and enjoy your achievement, almost six months without using. the cravings will pass, and, in my experience, in time they will reduce dramatically in frequency and intensity.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't go for a couple hours buzz after 6 months of hard work! I'm also 6 months alcohol-free, and even the thought of picking up again terrifies me. Think about how you would feel tomorrow. Satisfy your munchies with food and skip the pot!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovered

I always went back because I wanted to more than I wanted NOT to. What are you doing (A PLAN that you follow) to keep the balance on the NOT to side? For me, I have to work daily to follow a plan of action that keeps me well away (not necessarily physically) from using. I made my plan back in the beginning over 5 years ago and I still follow it to this day.

Glad you are here.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Brazillian

carls right - you'll never forgive yourself and probably beat yourself into the ground if you smoke again.

You've done amazingly well over 6 months. You've proved you don't need pot - now you need to prove that you can have fun develop friendships and be happy sober....and find positive life affirming ways to deal with anxiety and whatever else is bothering you.

seeing your Dr might help, or a counsellor, or some kind of real life support group?

D
Old 07-24-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the support

thanks Dee

man , I have my wife and my dogs, and that's it, I'm glad for that

and I do see a therapist, which brings me a slow improvement on anxiety

no friends no nothing, and that's the way it is, I accept it

being happy and all, is a little too much to ask, but being sober sure is possible

thanks everyone, tough moment here, but it shall pass
Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't settle just yet - there was continued growth and a few nice surprises for me after 6 months brazillian - keep working for the sober life you want/deserve

D
Old 07-24-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brazilian View Post
I probably won't do it, and just binge eating to deal with my anxiety, like I've always done.
I think there are other ways of dealing with anxiety Brazil...have you looked into therapy or considered meditation...yoga..that sort of thing? Perhaps you need to speak to your doc? I know that I have a free app I downloaded on my phone (Joseph Clough) that has all sorts of relaxation, affirmation, self hypnosis programs that I use when I simply cannot "change the channel" in my brain.

I "binged" on food last night....not doing that again (chips, chocolate bars and candy). Moments from now, I'm changing clothes and going for a run with my Ipod. I'm not "feeling it" but I'm doing it anyway! I need some dopamine hits..and I think that's a better way to handle the "void" I'm currently feeling.

Please don't give in to the "same ole, same ole" way of 'dealing". Think about alternatives...PLEASE. 6 months is a lot of work to throw away my friend.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Don't. Just don't. It won't be fun. You'll feel like crap and have no fun at all. Not worth it.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I thank you all for the support, it really helped.
All ended well yesterday, feeling better today. Probably was just PAWS.

About an advice I received "maybe you should see you doctor", well it's a standard common sense and harmless advice, but really ... what should we expect to get from a doctor? All they do is prescribe aspirines, tylenols, advils, or other far more dangerous drugs ... well if I'm recovering and detoxing I just don't see how it could help me!!! LOL

Some time ago I posted here an article about orthomolecular treatment for alcoholism, and my post was deleted by an administrator, who accused me from making advertisement (???). The article had no commercial means whatsoever, was a scientific text. The way I see I was doing a favor, contributing, helping.

You do the math and take your own conclusions.

thanks all
Old 07-25-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Brazillian

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy here - but if a post removal from however long ago has you irked enough to mention it again, then maybe you need to look at the amount of resentments you're hanging onto.

Resentments - justified or not - kept me angry and tense and ramped up my anxiety for years.

If you feel a Dr or counsellor is not for you, why not Google around and find some guided relaxations or meditations?

D
Old 07-25-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think you missed the point.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I guess we all did. Glad you worked it out for yourself. All the best with your continuing efforts.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I still think you got some great advice here.

You can dismiss this if you like, but I think you're dealing with the underlying stuff that you turned to drugs for in the first place - dismissing that stuff as 'just PAWs' won't do you any favours because it will be back.

If your only tool for dealing with these things is pot, that a pretty precarious situation.

that's my 2 cents worth done
D
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Maybe we need a new thread called hanging on to resentments. ....I know I am guilty of that and your post has me thinking, dee. I don't want it to mess with my sobriety. ..but we are off on a tangent. Glad you made it thru brazilian.....I'm right behind you-my date is feb 8th.