Notices

Progressive drinking

Old 07-24-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Progressive drinking

why they call alcoholism a progressive disease ? when and how does it progress ?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

One aspect of this is that--even after a period of recovery--the next relapse will likely be worse than the last.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a fact that you will progressively drink more, have more problems, and become sicker the longer you drink.

You can Google the stages of alcoholism or Alcoholism Progression. There are many lengthy descriptions.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I believe each relapse is worse and harder to recover from.

Also, for many of us, we drink more and more often and a larger amount.

That's the nature of the disease.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I actually started to think I might have a little problem with drinking it had already become a huge problem. In the end I was feeling the same after half a liter of 100 proof as I did after 3 shots. I thought nothing of it UNTIL I TRIED TO STOP the first time. It is very very deceptive.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

I started realizing progression when a bottle of scotch was no longer lasting me 3 nights. Then it was 2. Pretty soon I was consuming the entire bottle in a 24 hour period including having a drink while watching the news at 5:30AM and another in my water bottle for the drive to work. Another progression for me is that I have the beginnings of some liver issues and I'm diabetic.

I got a divorce from my lovers, Johnnie Walker and Glen Livet.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I liked the occasional drink and sometimes my weekend binges when I was a teen and in my 20's. Almost never drank alone during those times and I thought my drinking was quite modest compared with some of my friends', and it actually was in terms of quantity. It was how it affected me that was intense back then.

I started drinking alone first just once or twice a week in my late 20's, but still not much of a problem due to it. The real issue came when it had become a daily or near-daily habit in my early 30's. I also traded wine with spirits gradually. The second half of that decade was pretty miserable and drinking affected everything then, but I still managed to keep a facade more or less. I also developed horrible anxiety and a pretty debilitating major depressive episode during that time. I had slightly better and worse fluctuating periods during those years. I finally quit 6 months ago because it was very clear that probably a bit more time and I would have serious damages and losses in every area of my life. I don't ever want to look back or consider drinking again as I'm pretty sure in no time I would be deeper down in the dumps than ever.

It's also progressive in how drinking damages our health, both physically and mentally.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sameer1974 View Post
why they call alcoholism a progressive disease ? when and how does it progress ?
the thing is - you don't realize it while it's happening (at least I didn't)...it's sneaky. It creeps up, slowly gaining momentum....than WHAMMO! It kicks ya right in the you-know-what (guy or girl, it ALL hurts there) ...if that isn't progressive, I don't know what is.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For me as my tolerance to alcohol increased I went from 2 beers a night to a half a bottle of liquor a night in a short period of time, continually needing more and more or stronger alcohol to get the same buzz, up until my health started to suffer and then I needed less, but by that stage something eventually had to give!!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

oh who is it that called it this first...i want to slap them...just a theory with no scientific basis
Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Don't worry so much about terms Sameer. The point is that if you are an alcoholic, things will most likely never get better if you keep drinking, and most likely they will get worse. Al the more reason to quit.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My relapse wasn't even enjoyable. And the withdrawals were the worst I've ever had. I think that was relapse #last (but I think it was forth or fifth).
Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lots of people start out as weekend warriors but end up drinking daily, and some of those end up starting the drink train in the morning and drinking all day long.

That's what they mean, I think -- you keep feeding the monkey and he will keep on getting bigger and bigger.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

i love monkeys but cant keep a real one at home might get a few toys
Old 07-24-2014, 05:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sameer are you drunk?
Old 07-24-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
Sameer are you drunk?
Sammer was just commenting on the previous post
Old 07-24-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cabo what does that post you wrote above?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This will sound crass. If you have to ask that question you probably stumbled across SR by mistake.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The frequency and quantity keeps increasing. I drank every day but the quantity kept getting bigger and bigger. I half a fifth of vodka barely gave me a buzz anymore. Near the end, even .75 liter would make me blackout but not really a happy buzz at any point in the evening. My brain was so pickled I was no longer able to get a happy, relaxed buzz. My hands would even shake while I was drinking. (?). Weird. I don't have to worry about any of that do I moderate? Do I let myself drink as much as I want B.S. now that I don't drink.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i was a weekend bender drinker getting smashed out of my brains at the weekend and doing things i would be guilty about the next day
the guilt shame and remorse etc
never stopped me from drinking again when the dust settled i would soon be at it again only trying a different way to not end up getting drunk
it never worked no matter what i did

from there my drinking progressed to weekend drinking and a monday morning drink to help me with the ill effects of the weekend and i might end up getting drunk on the monday and call in work sick

this would carry on for a while then when i was getting drunk now on mondays as well as weekends i would need a drink on a tuesday to help me recover from the effects

i would then go on sober binges stay sober for 3 or 4 days and then start again
on and on this crazy progression goes until i am just drinking everyday to cope with anything or everythnng

its a progressive illness and its quite a normal route for alcoholics to go from weekend drinkers to end up 24 / 7 drinkers and lose everything they have around them i know as i dont need any proof at all as its what happened to me and has happend to countless others
aa told me this would happen and there right if only i had listend when i was just a weekend binge drinker but i didnt as i thought it would never happen to me