Notices

Pink Cloud

Old 07-25-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I definitely had pink cloud, but probably got pissed off if negative comments were made about pink cloud. It's not a bad thing at all.

My pink cloud was thinking all I had to do was say no to the first drink, and that was all I had to do to stay sober.

Yeah, it was a little more complex than that to stay sober and live a sober life.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Here's a quick read on pink cloud. It sort of puts it into perspective for some of us.

Pink Cloud Syndrome in Sobriety, good or bad? | Discovery Place
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I never had one - like Anna my journey into happiness was gradual and I'm glad it was cos I don't think I would have trusted any other way back then.

On the other hand, dear CarolD always declared she never lost her pink cloud...she loved being in the pink

D
I'm with dear CarolD here - my pink cloud has been pretty constant!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
RR also describes the happy feeling one gets when they've committed to stop drinking. That paradigm defines it as the Abstinence Commitment Effect (ACE): The immediate and sustained, uplifted feelings arising from your Big Plan. The return of your human spirit and family values.

I experienced a pink cloud and was cautioned and finger wagged against feeling this. (Stop being so happy lol) but it's been over 7 years for me and although I've had some very hard times in life and some deep despair, it's not been about alcohol. To this day I am still thrilled that I am alcohol free and no longer in the darkness of addiction.

So life will sometimes feel gray or even black, but as far as how I feel about being a nondrinker? Pink. So very pink.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

My theory on the pink cloud is that it's a state brought on physiologically. It's the result of increased endorphins in a persons system. The body has ramped up these natural pain killers in response to painful and repeated withdrawal symptoms in the past. When some folks quit their body's continue to anticipate future pain (from hangovers and/or detox). Then, when these painful events do not happen, the body, which has prepared for them, has an over abundance of natural pain killers (and possibly natural anti depressants) and experiences being flooded with these natural chemicals. The result in a mild to moderate euphoria.

This would explain why the pink cloud typically is present in early sobriety.

The body gradually adjusts and the pink cloud lifts, Enjoy it while you can.

I would love to see some research on this.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The Pink Cloud is familiar to me as well. I've gotten it every 2 to 4 months in recovery, lasting for a day to a few days at a time. The term Pink Cloud is often shunned and seen as a negative thing, as pointed here before. I believe it to be only a place in recovery, where for physiological/chemical reason the brain seems to work near to normalcy for a little while, as if near recovered. It has always given me hope and the insight it brings, is not necessarily false at all.

So I agree it is a positive thing, as opposed to negative.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
The only way I see your post possibly biting you in the ass, is if you imply the only way to a "pink cloud" is through "the steps" and/or spirituality, because that would be false. I have done neither "the steps" nor am I "spiritual", but I had an MFer of a "pink cloud", and I'm glad I did. My pink cloud emphasized all I had been missing, for a very, very long time. Because of my pink cloud, I saw what I could have, for the rest of my life, if I continued to live my life as a non-drinker. And I have done that now, for exactly three years today. I mention the three years today, not for a pat on the back, but to show it can be done with or without a formal program.
Congratulations on three years. Lovely. I hope you have the pink cloud today. Pink cloud should visit everyone on their anniversary!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Topoford View Post

Hi all! Can someone please explain to me what on earth a pink cloud is??!
Excessive highs should be avoided at this point in time

Our pride is something to keep in check

Being grateful and humble is of most importance

MM

Note
Sometimes ones drink because they feel so good
Self deception is something to keep an eye on