Notices

Already being tempted!

Old 07-26-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Famous line said over 70 years ago by a certain chubby old man seems to apply with a lot of alcohol recovery:

"If you're going through hell, keep going"
Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am sober right now because I chose not to drink today. I made that choice due to the fact that I am an alcoholic. Once I finally admitted that, not drinking has been fairly easy. Basically I see it as drink and die. Not drink and be happy

Not one sip. That's what works for me.

And if I am asked, I am going to say " I don't drink because I am an alcoholic ". Maybe it will help someone else who struggles with alcohol get sober.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gardendiva View Post
Thinking about you Wax. How's the weekend going?
it's going great thank you for.checking

I've actually been having a good time. people have been drinking but there are plenty of things going on to keep me busy.

I have been going out into the surf on a kayak and catching fish for everyone. I even caught a small shark earlier! I was craving a drink late last night, but I resisted. Today was actually really nice. I forgot that I actually am good at fishing. Usually I'm too concerned with getting drunk and I would be far too clumsy to kayak out into the surf AND manage to catch fish.
I also think the physical exertion really knocked out the anxiety and I am calm for the first time since i quit drinking.

tomorrow will be more of the same, plus jet skis...It's actually been easier here than it's been at home and I am glad I didn't listen to my negative thoughts and stay home. this has been really good for me to see I can have a good time without drinking.

I also saw my therapist before i left town and he helped me come up with some ideas to help me keep from wanting to drink too. He wants me to start taking an anti depressant called lexapro next week. I'm kind of on the fence about taking it. am i just giving it too much thought? He insists that it is really going to help me a lot and it will help me find my old self. He says it will make it easier for me to talk with him and find the source of my depression...i dunno i just feel like he is trying to make me dependant on them. so i have to keep seeing him. do any of you have experience with anti depressants? maybe I am being paranoid?...i don't like doctors if you can't tell haha
Old 07-26-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good to know you are doing well, NoW!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Nightmaresonwax

If you feel unsure ask your Dr about your dependency fears...if you decide to go ahead, maybe give them a short but decent time to work - 6-8 weeks maybe - and then re-evaluate? (I'm not a Dr - just spitballing some ideas )

No one's trying to get you to do something that you don't want to do...but I think it's good to look at all your options too

D
Old 07-27-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I understand being hesitant to try antidepressants. I would want to be sober for a few months and evaluate my psychological health from that standpoint. Sometimes sobriety helps depression and sometimes it makes it worse. You will make the best decision for you. Awesome job on staying sober this weekend!!
Old 07-27-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

YES!!! I'm so excited for you! Glad you went and did well and enjoyed yourself! NICELY DONE!

I think your concerns about anti-depressants are perfectly valid. In my opinion, they are widely overprescibed nowadays. Before making a decision to go on any meds, I'd suggest doing some research, specifically on Lexapro and antidepressant withdrawals. I agree with gardendiva, I'd want to give myself a chance to level off naturally, especially since your emotions are still all over the place in early sobriety. But of course you're the one knowing your situation and mental state the best. Good luck! And again, very happy you had such a pleasant weekend and enjoyed it without alcohol!
Old 07-27-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Do research by all means, but it's worth noting there is no one universal answer that fits everyone.

Speaking personally, I believe anti-depressants saved my life, and I know for a fact they continue now to help me maintain a quality of life I enjoy

D
Old 07-27-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I can tell you what worked for me.

I had to stay away from alcohol and people drinking completely, for many months. I had to do it to save myself, and I am so grateful that I did. Early recovery means major lifestyle changes.
That was my answer too. It worked for me.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I am on sertraline for depression and will probably always be on it as it really helps keep the depression manageable. It took me three weeks after starting it to notice the changes in my mood, but it was wonderful. I haven't felt suicidal in a long time and I credit the sertraline.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Do research by all means, but it's worth noting there is no one universal answer that fits everyone.
Absolutely.