Notices

A "petty" sober weekend thread! July 25th - 27th!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Great word of encouragement Gilmer! Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey Ken and the whee! kenders! on a petty weekend! I'm in please. This is Marcher cat and Marcher Dog, Charlie is almost 17 (the cat) and Bill is 7.

petty.jpg

After sixteen months of sober weekends I should be way cool about this one but I have 26 coming for lunch on Sunday for a friend's 50th so I'm a bit anxious. A petty weekend check in will be a great support.

Hope you other Commonwealth-ers are enjoying The Games in Scotland.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:38 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

26 people is intense, Marcher! I know you've been cooking all week for this! Hope it goes great and a good time is had by all!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Missing LBrain's humor this weekend!
RBRAIN calling LBRAIN...

"I've just had a frontal lobotomy," said Tom absentmidedly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (6.1 KB, 74 views)
Old 07-25-2014, 04:59 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Here's a real piece of encouragement: I had a very stressful and grouchy day yesterday. I complained loud and clear on the Undies thread, then apologized for dumping.

Somebody said, "Better dump than drink," and it hit me--

It had not even occurred to me to drink that whole day!

I have been sober for 8 months. I used to think about drinking all the time.

Keep on keeping on with your program, and progress happens!
Gilmer, that's fantastic.

As a newbie I love reading stuff like that.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

And now for your morning Petty:

Old 07-25-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Gah, pets!

So many photos!

I'm on the bus (ring, ring)will post pics if I have a chance.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

This is a cat I used to see all the time. He sat outside a pet store in Greenwich Village in NYC. He is very friendly if not a bit worn looking.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I used to live across the street from a surprisingly friendly, fat orange cat named Thaddeus (looked like Morris from the 9-Lives commercials). I used to feed him tuna, and he'd slowly trundle across the street to come get it.

Blackbirds used to perch on the electric lines above and dive bomb him as he crossed!
Old 07-25-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

This is a special kitty named "Moon Man". He would pay me a visit almost every day as I was walking to work. He'd be sitting on the front porch and when he saw me coming, he'd make his way down to the sidewalk. He loved to be petted and scratched behind the ears.

He's a rather famous cat. A local brewery named one of their brews "Moon Man" after this guy. Although he has used up all of his 9 lives, he lives on via a beer bottle label.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:33 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I'm in! I made it to my vacation, so I'm pretty stoked. Keeping it clean, keeping it simple
Onward!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

JHC! The weekend doesn't start for another hour and half. I spent almost entire day outside working yesterday - with little sleep. Crashed later in the afternoon and was gone.

I wonder, if I toss a cat out of an airplane will it land on its feet?

C'mon, I KNOW there are at least ten men here who at one time in their life held a cat up by its paws and dropped it to prove it would land on its feet. And six women.
Fess up!
It's another gorgeous day here in PA. Starting inside today because I never got to clean floors yesterday - never ending work outside it seems.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Love the photos. Alas I don't have one handy of either of our cats, gecko or guinea pig, will have to work on that. Have a wonderful sober weekend all. I'm in for #3!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

My daughter (the one with the dog) stayed overnight at our mountain house. She saw a blue-tailed skink along the baseboard, and she had nightmares about it! They are shy, clean, charming little lizards! I can't see anything creepy about them!

Now a mosquito in the room or a fly would disturb the heck out of me and greatly disturb my sleep!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Skinks are cool. I love the color!

Looks like I won't be able to make the car show I've been looking forward to for many months. It's a gathering of American Motors (AMC) products in a city about 80 miles from here. When we separated, my wife kept the car. I tried finding friends who might want to go to the show--I'd pay for the gas, of course. No interest. I looked at renting a car but the cheapest I could find was $** for one day. That's crazy.

On edit: why does the board edit out the number ninety-nine?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

In for my 8th sober weekend!

A little strange to be looking forward to buying 12-packs of diet root beer and ginger ale after I get off work today (a payday Friday), but that's how it is these days.

Redbox has some movies I actually want to see (Lego Movie and Hotel Budapest) plus there's an episode of Endeavour I haven't watched yet.

No promises re: pet/critter photos, though. I don't have a smartphone and my reading tablet is a little unwieldy for photography, but this reminds me I've been thinking of getting a little tablet with a good camera to keep in my backpack for when I am surprised by a nice scene.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey all you antique, thrift, yard sale shoppers. I saw a documentary on auctions called, "The Callers". 90% of it was filmed within 20 miles of me. Yep, this still goes on every weekend around here. Check it out on Netflix streaming when you need to be bored. It is a slice of Americana. Interesting.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I love thrift stores and yard sales.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I just got back from moseying around after dropping off the kids. I am feeling less stress today because I had no plans. I went to an estate sale and then a thrift store. I got some old post cards at the estate sale and two of these chairs at the thrift store. They are in good shape and comfortable. And they fold up for winter storage. What more could I ask?

Tetra, I like your bunny! Very cute. I used to have two and a soft spot for them. Gilmer, I love the colors on the skink. I think lizards are cool!

Kevin, I recommend the Lego movie. I have seen it three times so far because of the kids and it is still funny.

Time to pay attention to my husband. He is giving me grief for being online. Hey! It's my vacation day. I'm finally relaxing and enjoying my day.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I think the chair is great, Ruby2!

I'm partial to an antique shop myself.

I'm doing fine this Friday night in the UK. It is SO HOT, our spell of hot weather continues, although it is to break over the weekend, I think. We're not used to this weather, lol.

I'm sitting here with a cold sparkling water and watching the Commonwealth Games on TV.

How is everyone?