Notices

Day 2

Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

Afternoon.

I have spent the day reading through other people stories which has filled me with much hope and would like to Thank-you for it.

So my day yesterday (Wednesday) started with me having deep regrets about drinking the previous day. About a month ago myself and my partner felt it was time to cut back on the drinking and save it for special occasions which I thought I could do with ease. How wrong could I be after having several drinks over the last month partly due to me not being able to say no and also from others around me saying phrases like "it's only the one" "it's a lovely sunny day why not" " you deserve it after the day you have had". The list goes on.

I felt extremely ill not a hangover type of ill but something more, off I went to the doctors after being sick several times to be told I have a bout of Gastro and to go home and rest, eat rice or pasta and drink lots of water. During this time I had plenty of time to think and feel guilty for my actions. As mentioned my partner is in this with me and doing a lot better than I am and hasn't drunk for the last month. With the risk of driving him away due to my inability to stop or say no. I have taken the decision to stop completely for me this is an extremely scary thought as I know what I need to do but am scared that I won't be able to resist temptation.

My partner has told me that we are in this together and will support me through this which I am truly grateful for. So today is day number 2 I understand it's going to be a long process but I am excited by the thought that I will no longer be trapped by alcohol and be able to wake up each morning with a clear head and enjoy life.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you here!!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I tried every way to quit possible. I did it alone, with friends and AA.
AA worked the best. It's great that your partner is in this with you. Maybe you could attend a AA meeting together? I was so afraid to go alone, but I went.
There are other methods, too.
To cut to the quick, quitting is possible. Today is three years seven months for me, and I was a very heavy drinker. I mean all day as often as possible.
I'm glad you joined here, you'll find lots of support. Even with my sober time, I still read here every day. It helps me.
Another thing that helps is the realization that I can never safely drink. Once I start all bets are off. could be a single night, could be a week long bender.
I remind myself of this, along with the misery of the days after stopping.

Many of us have successfully gotten a daily reprieve from alcohol. You can do it, too.
I wish you and your partner the best. Stick around here and read and post as often as you like. Best to you both.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your messages. Ghostlight1 do you have any suggestions of how to start going to AA meetings. It seems such a final thing to do.