Notices

Depression

Old 07-22-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression

Hello, I've dealt with depression for several years now , and my alcohol abuse definitely took it to a whole other level. I was wondering if it gets better with some real sober time, an is it necessary for me to get on antidepressants... Do you think depression is cause from heavy drinking?
Old 07-22-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For myself, if I accumulate a couple of months of sober time then the depression lifts and I genuinely feel happy. For me, it's the alcohol that causes the anxiety, depression, and feelings of panic. Good luck man
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely, or at least enhanced. Alcohol is a depressant. Ever wake up after drinking with guilt and remorse? You may feel a little more depressed than usual after quitting but I assure you, it will get better. You should also speak with your regular doctor because you may suffer from depression for other reasons as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup - I found the alcohol was definitely a major cause of the anxiety/depression I was having. At day 72 now, I can say (for me) both of those have been drastically reduced. Particularly, the anxiety.
Life isn't all sunshine, rainbows and unicorn's sprinkling pixiedust....LOL...but my outlook on it isn't as bleak. Give yourself some sober time to see how it all levels out.
Exercise and diet and counselling are also a trifecta of resources I'm using. as well as SR
good luck!
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I have to admit I already knew the answer just needed to hear if from someone else today thanks for your time.. Can't wait to get out of this black cloud.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Depression can definitely be cause by alchohol, and being sober can definitely help improve it. Alcohol can also counteract or interfere with the intended effect of other drugs.

The best bet is to see your doctor though because the depression might need treatment ( therapy or meds ) in addition to quitting drinking. Make sure your doc is aware of the exact nature of your alcohol abuse as well as it will play a large part in the solution.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I could quit, but was unable to stay quit because of ever-increasing depression. Somewhere in the two week range it was joined by anxiety. The doc gave me a mild anti-depressant and no problems so far this time.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My moods took a dramatic change after a few months Sober!! . . . so alcohol definitely can have a negative effect!!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I became depressed as my drinking increased. I went on anti-depressants but they didn't work cuz I drank the whole time on them. The best thing is to get sober and if you still are depressed then it may not be just the booze. My depression cleared up a month or two after getting sober. The anti-depressants were starting to work I thought. I recently got off the AD's and I don't think I ever needed them if I had never been a drinker.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

yes, definitely. i have issues with depression and anxiety - and have found a very reasonable medical routine (350 mg buproprion a day, .5 mg klonopin). but the problem - and this is so stupid!! - is that i'm afraid to take both of those when i'm drinking, so i don't. which then of course leads to more bad feelings, more depression, more nervouness - and then more drinking.

i'm literally avoiding the thing that has helped me most in favor of doing something that makes me more unhappy and more anxious. SMDH
Old 07-22-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by MyTime86 View Post
Hello, I've dealt with depression for several years now , and my alcohol abuse definitely took it to a whole other level. I was wondering if it gets better with some real sober time, an is it necessary for me to get on antidepressants... Do you think depression is cause from heavy drinking?
Hi MyTime

I don't think there's a definitive answer.

Certainly alcohol abuse doesn't help at all, but some people need anti-depressants and others don't.

Only your Dr can tell you if that the case with you

D